• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1 - 3 Gillingham, Saturday 27 July, pre-season friendly

Shrimpergonzo

Nanu, Nanu⭐🦐
Staff member
So it's 3 out of 3 wins from the first pre-season games, all away from home against lower league opponents. Now things are stepped up with a home tie against our old friends from across the Thames estuary, Gillingham.

There’s been a buzz around the club this week with formal legal confirmation of the rat departure at Companies House and some tarting up of the ground - there’s even a new sign in, although at the time of writing no further new signings.

The Gills, managed by former blues Youth coach Mark Bonner, have had a few more pre-season games than us. Their so-called “Gills XI” (assuming a mix of youth, fringe players and trialists) have beaten Hollands & Blair (yeah, me neither!) 4-3, Whitstable Town 3-1, and lost 4-1 and 2-1 to Deal Town and Chatham Town respectively. Whilst the full team have drawn 0-0 with Millwall and beaten Watford 2-0 and Dartford 4-0.

They have recently signed striker Marcus Wyllie from Enfield Town, a player mentioned as a potential signing for us, so it could be interesting to see him. We may be seeing a couple of familiar faces in the Gills line up with veteran goalkeeper Glenn Morris (now 40 years old) playing the whole game and Tim Dieng starting the game with the Captain’s armband on.

It’s a 1.00 kick off so don’t be late, and it could be busy as at the time of writing only the East Stand is open for home fans.

Last edited:
I doubt the East is even half full yet, so I expect a flurry on the day. I get why it's only the East, given there is work going on in the West, but the ability to create atmosphere in just one stand is very hard work. I have no idea what the out come will be as this will be our first game against higher opposition.

Not a game that gets the juices flowing that said I am sure Gills fans would feel the same.

Do not really enjoy friendly’s especially at home so could have easily have ducked out of this one but feel under the circumstances going is the right option. Just back from RH and there where ten people in front of me getting season tickets but once served I was a tadge surprised how many sold for Saturday already the East Stand will be a bit cosy.

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher wants the Shrimpers to be Roots Hall ready for the start of the National League season.

Blues host League Two side Gillingham in their only home pre-season clash of the summer tomorrow.

And Maher feels it is important for his players to become accustomed to their own surroundings once again.

"We wanted to play at Roots Hall before the season started," said Maher.

"There have been a few changes around the place which will be nice for the fans and players to see but it's important we get used to it again.

"We couldn't play at home last pre-season and we're looking forward to being back there on Saturday."

Blues have won all three of their pre-season friendlies so far, seeing off Great Wakering Rovers, Canvey Island and Bishop's Stortford in quick succession.

However Maher knows the Gills - who are managed by ex Shrimpers youth coach Mark Bonner - will provide a far sterner test.
"It will be a really tough one," said Maher.

"They're the first team we've played in pre-season who are above us and they've got a really good squad.

"It's the the toughest test we'll have in pre-season and it's one we need so it will be good."

Former Blues goalkeeper Glenn Morriss and ex Shrimpers midfielder Tim Dieng could both feature for Gillingham.

The match kicks off at 1pm.

A good run out today - players getting sharper - less time on the ball against better opposition.

Hopefully no injuries and perhaps Taylor will get some time on the pitch.

Not too bothered about the score (unless it is a thumping and/or we create no chances).

Perhaps even the sight of a triallist or two.

Back