• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Boston United, Tuesday 20th August, 19:45 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 83 85.6%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 82 84.5%
  • Joe Gubbins

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

• Cav Miley

Votes: 84 86.6%
  • James Morton

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • Josh Walker

• Harry Cardwell

Votes: 84 86.6%
  • Danny Waldron

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 79 81.4%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Adam Crowther

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • George Wind

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • James Hillson

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mikey Faulkner

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Beau MacDonald

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • George Moncur

Votes: 12 12.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Win

Votes: 70 72.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

Nanu, Nanu⭐🦐
Staff member
Back in the dark days of the pandemic, when none of us could watch football, there was one person who was regularly on our screens at the heart of the response to the crisis. That man is a huge fan of our next opponents, Boston United, that man is Professor Sir Jonathan Van-Tam.

*Next slide please

Whether or not JVT makes it to Roots Hall on Tuesday night remains to be seen, but he can't be too pleased with the way his beloved Pilgrims have started their campaign back in the National League after winning the National League North play-offs last season. The fixture computer was kind in giving them back to back home games to start the season and they have lost them both - 0-3 to Rochdale on the opening day and 0-4 to newly relegated Forest Green Rovers last Saturday.

Manager Ian Culverhouse, the former Norwich favourite, will be looking for his team to bounce back in their first away game of the season and may hope that his star signing, Dan Mooney, shines on his return to Roots Hall more than he did most times he pulled a blue shirt on there.

Interestingly, Culverhouse was, of course, the Kings Lynn Town manager in Southend's first ever game at National League level (a scrappy 1-0 win for us). Only 2 players from the match day 16 in that game are still with us (Ralph and Bridge).

As the Shrimpers return to the Hall for our second home game of the season after Saturday’s long trip to Hartlepool where we continued our unbeaten/winless (delete as applicable to your level of optimism) start to the season we will be hoping for our first win of the new campaign. There were some encouraging signs in the second half on Saturday, but the lack of creativity in the first half was there for all, including our football department, to see. Let's hope the rumours of new signings come true in time for the first game under the lights this season.

It seems highly unlikely that the crowd will be anything like that on the opening day - in fact with school holidays and not many away fans we may see a couple of thousand less for this fixture. Nevertheless that's still more than decent backing at this level and now the initial euphoria of the takeover has subsided, maybe the team will perform nearer their potential in a more "normal" game.

Any new signings will be added to the poll if and when they materialise, but in the meantime, from those players available, who would you choose to start and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
Back in the dark days of the pandemic, when none of us could watch football, there was one person who was regularly on our screens at the heart of the response to the crisis. That man is a huge fan of our next opponents, Boston United, that man is Professor Sir Jonathan Van-Tam.

*Next slide please

Whether or not JVT makes it to Roots Hall on Tuesday night remains to be seen, but he can't be too pleased with the way his beloved Pilgrims have started their campaign back in the National League after winning the National League North play-offs last season. The fixture computer was kind in giving them back to back home games to start the season and they have lost them both - 0-3 to Rochdale on the opening day and 0-4 to newly relegated Forest Green Rovers last Saturday.

Manager Ian Culverhouse, the former Norwich favourite, will be looking for his team to bounce back in their first away game of the season and may hope that his star signing, Dan Mooney, shines on his return to Roots Hall more than he did most times he pulled a blue shirt on there.

Interestingly, Culverhouse was, of course, the Kings Lynn Town manager in Southend's first ever game at National League levfacta scrappy 1-0 win for us). Only 2 players from the match day 16 in that game are still with us (Ralph and Bridge).

As the Shrimpers return to the Hall for our second home game of the season after Saturday’s long trip to Hartlepool where we continued our unbeaten/winless (delete as applicable to your level of optimism) start to the season we will be hoping for our first win of the new campaign. There were some encouraging signs in the second half on Saturday, but the lack of creativity in the first half
was there for all, including our football department, to see. Let's hope the rumours of new signings come true in time for the first game under the lights this season.

It seems highly unlikely that the crowd will be anything like that on the opening day - in fact with school holidays and not many away fans we may see a couple of thousand less for this fixture. Nevertheless that's still more than decent backing at this level and now the initial euphoria of the takeover has subsided, maybe the team will perform nearer their potential in a more "normal" game.

Any new signings will be added to the poll if and when they materialise, but in the meantime, from those players available, who would you choose to start and what do you predict the result will be?

That King's Lynn game seems forever ago already

I can remember playing Boston on a freezing cold Tuesday night, dont remember the date. My car broke down so i was late getting to game. It was an awful we lost 1-0. Dont think the crowd was even 3000. Think it was the last game for whoever the manager was then

I can remember playing Boston on a freezing cold Tuesday night, dont remember the date. My car broke down so i was late getting to game. It was an awful we lost 1-0. Dont think the crowd was even 3000. Think it was the last game for whoever the manager was then
Remember it well. Was 0-2 actually and was I think Steve Wignall’s last game in charge, Thank God. Still to this day, one of the worst performances I have seen from a Southend side.

right just found it. October 2003, lost 2-0 and the crowd was 2463. That defeat left us 23rd in Div 3
A certain Kevin Maher was in the Southend team that night. Lets hope there isnt a repeat of that scoreline Tuesday

right just found it. October 2003, lost 2-0 and the crowd was 2463. That defeat left us 23rd in Div 3
A certain Kevin Maher was in the Southend team that night. Lets hope there isnt a repeat of that scoreline Tuesday

Would be great for Robins Sufc data base to make a return.

I must have been there but have no recollection of the game or was this the famous "his name is tes the cat, he plays for monserat, tes bramble oooaaahhh"

We simply have to go at Boston and get 3 points.

Will he persevere with Ralph at LWB?
Will we have new faces?
Will I make kick off....finish at the hospital at 1930
Walker to get off the mark I reckon, moncur assist 😉

Are you sure it was a Tuesday, as Boston couldn’t play games on a Tuesday because...it was bingo night in their social club !!

Let's hope we play our best side, with the players in their correct positions and just stick it on them from the word go.
I'd very much like to see Noor start, but from what Kev has been saying, I don't think that will happen. Maybe if there are newbie announcements today that may bring midfield good news.

Given Boston have shipped 7 goals in their first two games I can see them parking the bus from the beginning. We'll get plenty of possession but need a creative spark to be able to unlock their defence.

Make no mistake, they'd be very happy with a 0-0 draw!

The Prediction thread from the Boston fans Board. What could possibly go wrong?

Not sure I fully understood the opening post of that thread… he seems to be a bit confused as to whether we are one of the clubs yet to win a match this season or not!

Dan Mooney is a certain scorer for them, which means we’ll need two goals at least.

They’ve shipped 7 at home without scoring, so despite some below par showings from us up top I do think we might knock in a few on Tuesday. That’s unless their bus parking (which is surely inevitable given their two results so far) does the job.

I’ll say 3-1 to the mighty Shrimpers. Gus, Walker and Cardwell to score in front of about 6,450.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back