• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News 'Southend United fans boycotting game is the wrong approach'

"My wife and I are season card holders and are in some way alarmed at the way that the hardcore fans protested outside Ron Martin's home."

Some of our fans are such wet wipes honestly
Do you mean their strong while at the same time soft and totally absorbant and completely environmentally friendly 😉

From the Echo

'Southend United fans boycotting game is the wrong approach'

A SOUTHEND United supporter has his say

My wife and I are season card holders and are in some way alarmed at the way that the hardcore fans protested outside Ron Martin's home.

We both believe that they did wrong, especially after repeating their protests outside his home, which, in our view only served for him to dig his heals in even more so to speak regarding his imposed conditions for the sale of the club.

We say this because the hardcore demonstrated the feelings of all of the fans on numerous occasions at

However that said, I'll get to the real point in me writing to you which is as follows.

Having read the piece where some of the fans are calling for a boycott of this coming Saturday's game we believe that this is the wrong approach.

Surely the team that is going to turn out and play should get all the support that can be mustered.

It will be a real test of their resolve to give a good impression to any prospective buyers as well as the fans making it clear to the same prospective buyers that SUFC have a very strong fan base.

Is there a way that you can pass on our views to the hardcore fans regarding a ban on supporting our new team?

The ban would have a detrimental effect on the whole situation.

Thanking you.

George and Pam Felton
Surely this should be signed R & J Martin of Benfleet?

6 months ago I would have 100% agreed with you. Ron is under so much scrutiny now, bank accounts frozen etc that I really don't think he can syphon away money.
Money at the turnstiles may well be the difference between players getting paid and not.
I'm going with the positive view that my money is helping the players rather than Ron and my vocal support at games will help keep the players going
Sadly it was only the clubs account that were frozen, do not believe his own personal ones were. Thats they crying shame about it

Sadly it was only the clubs account that were frozen, do not believe his own personal ones were. Thats they crying shame about it
He would need to move money from the clubs account to his own though. I doubt very much that and turnstile money would go to Rons personal account

For as many protests as there were, If a man confronts angry away fans, his not going to be too bothered about a few hundred people at the end of his driveway. The most effective way to put pressure on Ron is on his wallet. I would like to go to the game and support the team, but you can't separate the two unfortunately.
Not sure I agree with that. His ridiculous comment about the protests putting off buyers is clearly crap and aimed at stopping the protests, which implies to me that he is bothered by them.

Apart from poorly written articles, the adverts are getting worse and more annoying. They conveniently put them where you can accidentally click them, and last month I kept getting that extremely annoying hammer banging down on the left hand side as I'm trying to read the article.

He would need to move money from the clubs account to his own though. I doubt very much that and turnstile money would go to Rons personal account
Maybe, not convinced he does or did, as given we are under a winding up order he owuld need a very good reason to divert money from a near bankrupt club to his own account. More likely was going the other way to pay the football creditors

Not sure I agree with that. His ridiculous comment about the protests putting off buyers is clearly crap and aimed at stopping the protests, which implies to me that he is bothered by them.
I'm not sure, but I think something's been muddled here. But I dunno.

I didn't touch on it in my post but I disagree with the writers view that protests and the idea that low crowds would put on prospective buyers. I believe anyone considering buying the club would know full well of the situation they're stepping in to and the latter could easily be disproven by attendance figures...

I think we've crossed wires is my comment was about the effective of the protests from Ron's perspective - in my opinion - not the writers perspective. He obviously is bothered by them.

When was this?

Edit: Ok, you mean Southend fans at an away game. Got it now. For a sec I thought I had missed a priceless moment of RM heading over the the North Bank to have it out with away fans who weren't happy about no onions in burgers.
I couldn't remember the game, sorry be vague.

6 months ago I would have 100% agreed with you. Ron is under so much scrutiny now, bank accounts frozen etc that I really don't think he can syphon away money.
Money at the turnstiles may well be the difference between players getting paid and not.
I'm going with the positive view that my money is helping the players rather than Ron and my vocal support at games will help keep the players going
That is something that I hadn't considered. That he doesn't have any access to it now.

Any good investor will have done their due diligence and would know we have a fantastic fanbase. Look how many we take away, to the LDV ad Ply Off finals etc. But whilst Ron is at the helm, many are totally fed up with the whole situation. New owners really wouldn't have an issue with attendances and marketing and they'll know it

"My wife and I are season card holders and are in some way alarmed at the way that the hardcore fans protested outside Ron Martin's home."

Some of our fans are such wet wipes honestly
And that's the first misconception of this letter.

the vast majority of the fans present were not "hardcore" but ordinary fans that follow a football team and have done for years and feel that have to do something to show the depth of their feeling, rather than do nothing.

Back