• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lovely post from Suffolk Shrimper on their board this morning. First he commiserates with them and tells them they deserved a draw and then proceeds to offer up his Roots to the 92 book to them.

Not sure how anyone can give oxley less than a nine. If Bentley had put in that performance people would be going nad about it,. Conversely how bad does ranger have to be before some people give him a cad score. Even brown in his post match interview innot so many words said he was crap. Phil did say that only a few deserved to keep their shirts based on their performances ( but probably will keep their shirt because we won- can't say I agree with that logic).

Celebrating 125 years of Southend being a Borough. A bit of a nothing idea really - now if he had been announcing the breaking of ground at FF then that would have been worth shouting about.
Good to hear not a single clap of applause for Amiss.
And some people around me spoke then of how good Sir Teddy was and that a minutes silence had been expected; however, for me, knowing him just a little I would have expected Sir Ted to state that he did NOT want any such thing.

Yes, also noted lack of applause for Amess, standing their wearing a Southend scarf and yet he himself says he is an avid Hammers fan! He will do anything for a few extra votes.

Attack wise wewere extremely poor. Blackpool concede a lot of goals. Tactically when we went1 up from an excellent finish by Wordsworth from a corner that initially lookedmi****, I thought our game plan was to sit back and hope they make a mistake whichwould give us another goal - which of course they did straight after halftime.

Blackpool's attacking play was far better than ours - their players werequicker , had better close control, held the ball turned well and found goodpositions moving forward to support each other. However they found Oxleyhaving his best performance for us.

Phil's back in his get in front and keep them out mode again. We were extremelyfortunate it worked yesterday.
He is also back in his "they won the game they keep the shirt" modewhich means he doesn't put out the strongest team. I just think its lazymanagement.

Only Leonard, Oxley and Kyprianou of the starters to my mind come out with anycredit football wise from yesterday apart from the fact that no one gave up andeveryone put a shift in.

I don't find the game very entertaining - we were very poor - we didn't keepthe ball, our first touch was usually far too heavy. McLaughlin runs withball too far in front of him. We gave away too many free kicks. The balancein midfield still isn't right-where's our midfield terrier/dynamo?

I hope Ranger was just having an off day and there's nothing more sinisterbehind it.
Credit to Fortune he did well for the 30 minutes he was on - showing he is fine for 30 but not got the energy now for 90 minutes.

We managed only 4 shots on target against a side that have conceded 11 goals in6 away games.

So after 6 undefeated home games we've probably only played well in the first 45 minutes against Blackburn and 10 against Northampton. The rest have been a struggle -28 shots on target in 6 games is no where near good enough or entertaining enough

Christ.

We've beaten a good team for our third win in a week and only three of the outfield players deserve praise? We're unbeaten at home and yet it's not good enough or entertaining enough?

You realise this is Southend United right?

I agree, what DO people expect? We are a little team, doing OK, winning a few games against decent opposition. Why are people STILL trying their best to find fault? Get real people, please. COYBB

Not many people are giving Blackpool much credit for the way they played. They worked their socks off closing down players and space. If a side does that well for the whole game they make it very difficult for the opposition. Personally, I could be a lot happier if we had a few points on the board. However, given the injuries we seem to have collected then I will take what we have and be happy. Mind I do fancy we will need a few more points than last year to make the play offs.

We have had some unexpected bonuses the emergence of Harry, Elvis and Dru for one. The three of them look capable of saving us a lot of money in the future and then making money.

Conversely how bad does ranger have to be before some people give him a cad score. Even brown in his post match interview innot so many words said he was crap. Phil did say that only a few deserved to keep their shirts based on their performances ( but probably will keep their shirt because we won- can't say I agree with that logic).

I gave Ranger a 6.

Granted he has had better days but that was his third game in a week and though a lot didn't work for him, he never gave up trying to make it happen. He had a lot of balls pumped aerially in his general direction and his presence, alone, caused concern for the oppo. Take our opening goal, for instance. Their defender was panicked into a skewed header which went out for the corner that Wordy scored from.

'ThundersleyBlue' mentioned in post #50 that he is actually a better player when the ball is rolled into his feet. Like that great goal at Wimbledon last season or his assist for a couple of goals at Fleetwood last week.

Remember, this is the guy that a lot of people said wouldn't be match fit much before Christmas and there he is putting a more than decent shift in for the best part of 4 hours in a week.

Yep, a lot didn't work for him yesterday, but maybe a bit of credit to Blackpool for keeping a tight lid on him.

Still a first choice starter for me, in upcoming games.

I haven't heard PB's interview, but I'm disappointed to read that he has found reason to criticize any of those guys out there, after the week we've had. They've dug him out of a tight corner, following the dreadful first half against Northampton and results previous to that.

Attack wise wewere extremely poor. Blackpool concede a lot of goals. Tactically when we went1 up from an excellent finish by Wordsworth from a corner that initially lookedmi****, I thought our game plan was to sit back and hope they make a mistake whichwould give us another goal - which of course they did straight after halftime.

Blackpool's attacking play was far better than ours - their players werequicker , had better close control, held the ball turned well and found goodpositions moving forward to support each other. However they found Oxleyhaving his best performance for us.

Phil's back in his get in front and keep them out mode again. We were extremelyfortunate it worked yesterday.
He is also back in his "they won the game they keep the shirt" modewhich means he doesn't put out the strongest team. I just think its lazymanagement.

Only Leonard, Oxley and Kyprianou of the starters to my mind come out with anycredit football wise from yesterday apart from the fact that no one gave up andeveryone put a shift in.

I don't find the game very entertaining - we were very poor - we didn't keepthe ball, our first touch was usually far too heavy. McLaughlin runs withball too far in front of him. We gave away too many free kicks. The balancein midfield still isn't right-where's our midfield terrier/dynamo?

I hope Ranger was just having an off day and there's nothing more sinisterbehind it.
Credit to Fortune he did well for the 30 minutes he was on - showing he is fine for 30 but not got the energy now for 90 minutes.

We managed only 4 shots on target against a side that have conceded 11 goals in6 away games.

So after 6 undefeated home games we've probably only played well in the first 45 minutes against Blackburn and 10 against Northampton. The rest have been a struggle -28 shots on target in 6 games is no where near good enough or entertaining enough

I have read your post, several times, with great interest and only have one question for you. What font are you using?

I have read your post, several times, with great interest and only have one question for you. What font are you using?

Ehm... Apparently it's Calibri (Body) -- I had to cut and past it into Word as I lost my internet connection and repast back here - pity I didn't spell check as well I seem to have joined a lot of words together inadvertently.

I gave Ranger a 6.

Granted he has had better days but that was his third game in a week and though a lot didn't work for him, he never gave up trying to make it happen. He had a lot of balls pumped aerially in his general direction and his presence, alone, caused concern for the oppo. Take our opening goal, for instance. Their defender was panicked into a skewed header which went out for the corner that Wordy scored from.

'ThundersleyBlue' mentioned in post #50 that he is actually a better player when the ball is rolled into his feet. Like that great goal at Wimbledon last season or his assist for a couple of goals at Fleetwood last week.

Remember, this is the guy that a lot of people said wouldn't be match fit much before Christmas and there he is putting a more than decent shift in for the best part of 4 hours in a week.

Yep, a lot didn't work for him yesterday, but maybe a bit of credit to Blackpool for keeping a tight lid on him.

I haven't heard PB's interview, but I'm disappointed to read that he has found reason to criticize any of those guys out there, after the week we've had. They've dug him out of a tight corner, following the dreadful first half against Northampton and results previous to that.

I wouldn't say he was particularly criticizing Ranger but quite correctly stating that he was not at his best and explaining why he was substituted. I thought his interview was fair and honest.

Having seen their goal a few times I am thinking it was a very good, if very long pass AND that Vassell took his chance very well. Anton ought to have done better BUT it was a cracking goal from nothing and that sort of thing does happen so slaughtering Anton over it is a touch harsh IMO.
However if that fits the agenda.........................:unsure:

I totally agree with you. At the time I thought it was very poor defending but having seen it back it was an excellent long pass. For all of Blackpool's excellent short passing it is quite ironic that their goal has come from a long ball.

I agree, what DO people expect? We are a little team, doing OK, winning a few games against decent opposition. Why are people STILL trying their best to find fault? Get real people, please. COYBB

It's a match review and ratings thread isn't it? I for one will always give honest ratings, when a player's good they get a 7+, when they're bad they get a 5-. Ferdinand was poor, if any one says otherwise they've got blinkers on.

We might be a 'little' side (Though I'd argue we're about average in League one), but we've flashed the cash in wages over the summer. Given so I think most (I'm sure including uncle Ron) predicted a top half finish before the season started.

But let's give everyone a seven plus regardless of how poor they've played. Imagine if PB does the same "great performance Anton, 7 out of 10 there, same again next week please". Where there's fault criticism is justified, just as where there's quality, praise is.

I wouldn't say he was particularly criticizing Ranger but quite correctly stating that he was not at his best and explaining why he was substituted. I thought his interview was fair and honest.

Thanks 'Feathers'. I must admit, when I read on here that he was criticizing him, I wasn't 100% sure, hence why I wanted to hear the interview.

I'll try and dig it out.

I gave Ranger a 6.

we all see different things. Defensively I saw him do some good stuff at their set pieces but offensively he was poor. our goal came from one of the only headers he won . most of the time he got the ball he lost it., including when it was at his feet. I know he hasn't had a preseason and its his third game in a week ,but bringlng that up is like playing me and saying I didn't do bad for a 49 year old ---its irrelevant, the opposition isn't going to care. I liked Brown's interview it was very honest - we didn't play well and were very lucky to win. A 6 is very generous to me, I thought he was our worse player yesterday (someone has to be ---- I'm not scapegoating- it doesn't mean I don't appreciate him , but this is a thread on yesterdays match , not other games etc)

Last edited:
It's a match review and ratings thread isn't it? I for one will always give honest ratings, when a player's good they get a 7+, when they're bad they get a 5-. Ferdinand was poor, if any one says otherwise they've got blinkers on.

We might be a 'little' side (Though I'd argue we're about average in League one), but we've flashed the cash in wages over the summer. Given so I think most (I'm sure including uncle Ron) predicted a top half finish before the season started.

But let's give everyone a seven plus regardless of how poor they've played. Imagine if PB does the same "great performance Anton, 7 out of 10 there, same again next week please". Where there's fault criticism is justified, just as where there's quality, praise is.
totally agree, according to some on here if we win everyone gets a 7 plus, and if we loose no one is allowed an 8. I thought the thread was about the performance- we all know the score

A 6 is very generous to me, I thought he was our worse player yesterday (someone has to be ---- I'm not scapegoating- it doesn't mean I don't appreciate him , but this is a thread on yesterdays match , not other games etc)

Fair comment, yep we all see things differently.

I'm not saying he had a good game. 6 is a below average mark. It was a below average performance.

I was merely offering a few extenuating circumstances as to why it might not have been up to scratch.

I don't give 10's. No-one is perfect.

Likewise I rarely give a 4. No-one, generally, has a complete howler or doesn't put the yards in for the team and let's the side down. The occasional 5 for me, but mostly 6-8. Oxley got a 9 yesterday. Not many people do.

Ranger was at the bottom end of the rankings I use. The reason I brought the subject up was because previous posters couldn't believe anyone would give Ranger a half-decent mark (i.e 6 was being generous). Thought it needed some explanation.

Take the win and move on people for Christ sake. Winning whilst not playing great, having important players injured/not fully fit is definitely not a bad thing, and we have also learnt we have a real solid keeper this season. There's a lot of potential with this team.

I except we need to perform better.... but 9 points in a week guys! More points than this time last year! Not all bad aye! :thumbsup:

Pretty much what I came on to post, save me the trouble. All of the above from me too people.

Back