• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did he not make the cross for the goal?

Yep he certainly did, and maybe I'm being a bit harsh as there were others in the team who also didn't impress me today. Although hindsight is a wonderful science I would have preferred Worrell to start today instead of Payne, but there you go.

Shrewsbury, Burton and Luton laughing their way towards automatic promotion? Bad day but not the end of the world. Just puts pressure on the rest of the month .......... We need two wins from the next two games in order to keep us up with two points average per game.

So narrow for too long today. Only started playing when Worrall came on. Should be winning games like this. Disappointing

Come on everyone, 1 defeat in 10, 2 in 17 games. 1st goals conceded at home in almost 4 months. 2 points off of automatic promotion.

It wasn't great today, that is true, but I can't remember the last time that I could hear the players and the ref talking to each other. It was so quiet. Nobody got a cheer when the teams were announced, other than Smith.

It was almost as if everyone expected defeat today.

Burton and Shrewsbury will hit a blip too, and if the next 15 games are the same as the last 15 we will be in top three at the end of the season.

Its how we bounce back next week that is important.

We have best squad in the division so when we have three games in a week we pretty much play unchanged each game? Madness.. Manager set up us wrong today from the start. you dont need to play the same way against Shrewsbury away as you would for Accrington at home. Brown talks about the players having no nous. How about some from the management? I'm not going to get too emotional about today as we started well first ten mins zipping it about but Piggot missing that chance was the catalyst... must win game now saturday and still got Luton at home yet.

Our diamond formation serves us well away from home when we can stifle the opposition but it's not suited to Roots Hall when we need to break down well-organised, negative teams even with their pretty dire players. Brown took the easy way out today (and on Tuesday). The formation should have been changed to include at least Worrall. Binnom-Williams did a cracking job of being an EMERGENCY centre-back. If once we had Prosser, Barrett, Bolger available he should have been given a pat on the back ... "Well done son" ... and then dropped. That would have done more for his confidence than playing him out of position until he was found out. His head was down after 20 mins max today following misplaced pass after misplaced pass. Against Cheltenham we won despite B-Williams having a 'mare and we won despite not tearing a rubbish team apart. Having said that, it was not Williams fault we lost today. It was the formation. No width .... I think I've read that once or twenty times before in this thread. If we have to sacrifice Jack Paine to be able to play a REAL 4-4-2 at home then so be it. It's worth it to be able to include Worrall and Hurst against the likes of Accrington. We've got a strong squad .. let's use it and play the right tactics at home, not the ones that work away. Oh and as for Piggott and Cassidy not having pace, well they look sharp and quick to me. I prefer that to blistering pace and then not knowing what to do with it as we've seen with a few other forwards.

Yep he certainly did, and maybe I'm being a bit harsh as there were others in the team who also didn't impress me today. Although hindsight is a wonderful science I would have preferred Worrell to start today instead of Payne, but there you go.

Its really strange. Nearly everyone says Payne is a good player but would rather he not start? The guy is top scorer even though he has not played every game. The problem whatever way we try and dress it up is that we are not scoring enough goals and with the possible exception of Worrall our Midfield are not contributing nor or our defenders. With the odd goal from our strikers (this week has not turned out bad) we will need to play our creative goal threats.

Sorry to sound like I'm stating this just after we finally concede at home , but I've read post after post on here in recent weeks about how good JBW is at CB.
I'm sorry but I know we've been winning games , but IMO he is a liability and an accident waiting to happen.
After his shocking start I decided to focus in his stats.
in the first half he made 8 passes ( not including clearances under pressure ).
7 out of those 8 went to the opposition - quite shocking.
Thompson I hope and think will develop into a decent CB , but he simply tries to win 'every' ball , when that really isn't possible.
I like him but he really needs to make better decisions.
Not sure if Barratt was injured or just left out but IMO , he and Prosser would make a more solid pairing than the current two.
As I say , given our recent record that may sound harsh but I believe it to be true.

I also like Brown but sometimes I think the loyalty goes too far and Lenny seems undropable for some reason.

First half MOM by a mile was Cassidy yet he takes him off?
I know Pigott has been scoring but please Brown judge each game on its own merits.

Smith had a good debut IMO , vocal and decisive.

Bad day at the office but we move on.

Yes. This. Why can some people not see what he brings to this team? The lad needs a goal yes but he's certainly been contributing and today was his best performance.

Wow. Just wow! :stunned:

Ok, so the loss of Dan was a major disappointment. Had that been an away game I am 100% certain Brown would have started Smith Senior, as it was home, he gambled on the crowd getting behind Smith Junior as "one of our own". It would have been nice to hear TBV welcome him with a chant of "England's number 1". I felt the selection was unfair on Ted, particularly with the article that featured Dan and the clean sheet record in the Echo yesterday, and that several of the defence were edgy as a result of him playing. Ted's always very vocal in Youth games, but wasn't so today and there were a couple of occasions where he didn't shout, yet should have.

Binnom-Williams had a disastrous 1st half. I don't know what was up with him but he couldn't pass for toffee, with 6 or 7 attempts going straight to an Accy player. He was much improved in the 2nd half though and I can't quite believe no-one has mentioned that. Atkinson for me, isn't working in the team at the moment and should be dropped to give Worrall his starting place. We needed a spoiler in the middle and didn't have one today, Deegan would have been a better choice to start with the situation with the goalkeeper just to give some extra cover.

Timlin seemed to be arguing with a lot of people today...Thompson, Cassidy....Coker, in particular. I don't know what that was all about but he looked a very angry young man out there today and it was counter productive. I thought Cassidy was the better of our starting two today, there was loads of movement and, had it not been for a ref who didn't know a foul on Cassidy if it was staring him in the face, he'd have won many free kicks.

T Smith - 6, a decent enough debut. Been saying for ages he needs to bulk up though. Dan was similar build at his age and Ted needs to follow a similar path. Couple of decent saves will have helped his confidence
White - 6, yes, he hoofed a bit but that was clearly a strategy for Pigott or Cassidy to run on to. Had his hands full with their nippy midfielder
Thompson - 6, good, solid performance
Binnom-Williams - 5, hugely improved 2nd half but 1st was awful
Coker - 6, pretty normal Coker performance
Atkinson - 5, works hard but doesn't seem to achieve much
Leonard - 5, got forward more but to no avail. Can we work on his throws and try and get someone closer to flick them on please? That way they might actually produce something
Timlin - 5, didn't feel it today
Payne - 5, felt the game passed him by a bit. Definitely got in the way of two attempts by others
Cassidy - 6.5, probably just edged MOTM for me today, worked his socks off but got nothing out of some awful officials
Pigott - 6.5, worked hard, unlucky not to score

Subs:
Worrall for Atkinson - 6.5, criminally under used when he did come on. This guy has to start, he is easily our most creative player
Corr for Cassidy - 6, didn't really get this, would have preferred to go 4-3-3 at that stage and see the other two playing off Corr who was better in the air
Hurst for Coker - 6, didn't get this either. Let's put our already under pressure young goalkeeper under more pressure by taking off one of our best defenders. Hurst ended up playing Ben's role which was a criminal waste.

Officials:
One of the worst sets I've seen at Roots Hall. Accy players were nudging, grabbing, elbowing all over the place and kept managing to win free kicks against our players. There must have been 4 crystal clear hand balls not given against Accy, and I had a suspicion their 2nd goal was off side. And what was with the wrestling on Lenny not given in the 1st half? Just awful.

Time to change the team around Mr Brown. We need some genuine width, Worrall HAS to start and Hurst should too imo.

Last edited:
Wasn't there. Does anyone think confidence was affected with Bentley out of the team? Any idea when he returns btw? Was there on Tuesday when JBW was praised to here and back - except by me.
He has youth, speed and strength, and little else...

Wow. Just wow! :stunned:

Ok, so the loss of Dan was a major disappointment. Had that been an away game I am 100% certain Brown would have started Smith Senior, as it was home, he gambled on the crowd getting behind Smith Junior as "one of our own". It would have been nice to hear TBV welcome him with a chant of "England's number 1". I felt the selection was unfair on Ted, particularly with the article that featured Dan and the clean sheet record in the Echo yesterday, and that several of the defence were edgy as a result of him playing. Ted's always very vocal in Youth games, but wasn't so today and there were a couple of occasions where he didn't shout, yet should have.

Binnom-Williams had a disastrous 1st half. I don't know what was up with him but he couldn't pass for toffee, with 6 or 7 attempts going straight to an Accy player. He was much improved in the 2nd half though and I can't quite believe no-one has mentioned that. Atkinson for me, isn't working in the team at the moment and should be dropped to give Worrall his starting place. We needed a spoiler in the middle and didn't have one today, Deegan would have been a better choice to start with the situation with the goalkeeper just to give some extra cover.

Timlin seemed to be arguing with a lot of people today...Thompson, Cassidy....Coker, in particular. I don't know what that was all about but he looked a very angry young man out there today and it was counter productive. I thought Cassidy was the better of our starting two today, there was loads of movement and, had it not been for a ref who didn't know a foul on Cassidy if it was staring him in the face, he'd have won many free kicks.

T Smith - 6, a decent enough debut. Been saying for ages he needs to bulk up though. Dan was similar build at his age and Ted needs to follow a similar path. Couple of decent saves will have helped his confidence
White - 6, yes, he hoofed a bit but that was clearly a strategy for Pigott or Cassidy to run on to. Had his hands full with their nippy defender
Thompson - 6, good, solid performance
Binnom-Williams - 5, hugely improved 2nd half but 1st was awful
Coker - 6, pretty normal Coker performance
Atkinson - 5, works hard but doesn't seem to achieve much
Leonard - 5, got forward more but to no avail. Can we work on his throws and try and get someone closer to flick them on please? That way they might actually produce something
Timlin - 5, didn't feel it today
Payne - 5, felt the game passed him by a bit. Definitely got in the way of two attempts by others
Cassidy - 6.5, probably just edged MOTM for me today, worked his socks off but got nothing out of some awful officials
Pigott - 6.5, worked hard, unlucky not to score

Subs:
Worrall for Atkinson - 6.5, criminally under used when he did come on. This guy has to start, he is easily our most creative player
Corr for Cassidy - 6, didn't really get this, would have preferred to go 4-3-3 at that stage and see the other two playing off Corr who was better in the air
Hurst for Coker - 6, didn't get this either. Let's put our already under pressure young goalkeeper under more pressure by taking off one of our best defenders. Hurst ended up playing Ben's role which was a criminal waste.

Officials:
One of the worst sets I've seen at Roots Hall. Accy players were nudging, grabbing, elbowing all over the place and kept managing to win free kicks against our players. There must have been 4 crystal clear hand balls not given against Accy, and I had a suspicion their 2nd goal was off side. And what was with the wrestling on Lenny not given in the 1st half? Just awful.

Time to change the team around Mr Brown. We need some genuine width, Worrall HAS to start and Hurst should too imo.

No it wasn't a strategy. It was very poor football. Coker played it on the floor plenty. White has been off form for ages and today was no exception

That was not the best game I have seen this season, but it was also not the worse.
On Tuesday we got an early goal and we SO badly needed one today as the longer the game went the more the players & crowd got nervous and things showed little sign of improving.
In the first half I thought we were on top and Stanley’s only effort required a goal line header from Lennie to stop a certain goal from a corner.
IMO Pig was unlucky, should have scored when he put his lob on the bar; also we should have had a pen for handball by their left back.
We came out for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] half sharp and Tims went close from a quick move after a throw in.
Stanley’s goal from corner I need to see to be sure but no-one closed down.
The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] goal was also a tad poor defensively but well finished.
We huffed and puffed, Phil scowled and made his subs, BBBC caused a few problems and got his goal BUT there was no grandstand finish.
BBBC got assaulted and wrestled to the ground but again ref decided it wasn’t an offence or penalty; have the rules changed and is it not allowed for Barry to be fouled?
Full time and PB flew down the tunnel PDQ.
Ratings;
Ted 7, good kicking, not sure on his corner accountability.
JW 6, ok as full back but poor crossing today.
Thommo,7, won most things, tried to move forward.
JBW,5, the lad tried to make passes but kept loosing possession, I hope he doesn’t become a hoofer just to appease some of the moaners. A few he got it right and he works hard, looked a bit tired.
Cokes, 7, usual reliable Ben, very angry at coming off
Lennie, 6
Tims, 6
Willo, 5
Jack, 6, but does go out of the game for long periods
Butch, 6
Pig, 6

T smith 6. A decent start to his career

White 6. Thought he did ok

Thompson and Williams 4. Didn't compete in the air and went AWOL for the second goal

Coker 5. Still not fully fit for me

Leonard 7. Forward play was poor, but so many times he saved the two centre backs with his pace and strength after mess ups.

Atko 5. Not his day

Timlin 5. Not involved like he normally is

Payne 5. Looked good, but created nothing. He needs to create if he's in the team

Pig. 5. Worst I've seen from him, and should have scored the 1 on 1

Cassidy 7. Thought he was good today. Best I've seen from him.

Subs
Worrall and corr. 7. Nearly turned the game for us

I think its unfair to criticise brown today. If he'd changed the team and we lost he would have been ripped apart. Hopefully it's the end of the defensive experiment now, it was always gonna blow up at some stage. Time for Prosser and Barrett next week. Also Worrall and corr to start again please Phil.

Think its time to bring in an actual centre back (Barrett or Bolger alongside Thompson) Binnom Williams has done well but isn't a centre half!
Cassidy also needs to be dropped for Corr
Hurst and Worrall need to be in the side.
Leonard what does he have to do to be dropped he hasn't played well for months time for Deegan to step in his place

My Team for next Saturday would be

Bentley
White Thompson Barrett Coker
Hurst Deegan Timlin Worrall
Corr Piggott

I know it means leaving Jack Payne out but we need a strong centre pairing in midfield to allow creative influence of Hurst and Worrall

My Team for next Saturday would be

Bentley
White Thompson Barrett Coker
Hurst Deegan Timlin Worrall
Corr Piggott

Yeah - Id go for that.

I honestly think Brown is totally inept at spotting talent, how the hell he can leave Worrall out is beyond me, he would be the first name on the team sheet every week if it was up to me. I also see he's said we looked young and naive today, wtf is that all about when we had AB sitting on his arse warming the bench. Pb does make some really bad decisions at times and makes himself look an utter **** when he opens his mouth, apart from that he's doing ok !!!!!

Back