• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bentley 7. Not too troubled but looked assured. Few crow killing kicks but otherwise fine.
White 8. Looks a good leader. Calm, keeps his eye on ball not player and tackles well. Good brain on him
Prosser 7. Calm performance
Phillips 7. Like Prosser did what he is paid for. Neither were bullied by Marvellous Marvin
Coker 8. V impressed. Good going forward. Likes a tackle too. Looks a good signing
Atkinson 9. MoM. Tackles, passes and definitely has some quality about him. Could be a huge signing for us.
Laird 7. Did the unsung stuff and nearly scored.
Leonard 6. Marked down for second half where he gave the ball away too easily.
Straker 4. Oh dear. Will be, I fear, the pantomine villain for us. One Usain Bolt in first half which won us a corner but was too sloppy which on another day might have cost us.
Eastwood 7. Did ok. Hopefully more to come.
Corr 8. Pushed for MoM. Held ball up well and deserved his goal. Also drunk the oppo's water which raised a laugh in South Stand.
Overall a good performance. One that promises a steady season.

Really can't believe this mark. For me he was close to MOM. His work rate and play in the 1st half was excellent and he played some really class balls into dangerous areas.
Atkinson for me looked a bit slow, and I think he will lose his place to Kevan Hurst when he is fit.
Funny how we all see things different.

Really can't believe this mark. For me he was close to MOM. His work rate and play in the 1st half was excellent and he played some really class balls into dangerous areas.
Atkinson for me looked a bit slow, and I think he will lose his place to Kevan Hurst when he is fit.

Thats what makes football great, we all have opinions

I fully agree, Straker for me was one of the very best players on the pitch (and last season I criticised him a few times on here for his performances!).

Agreed. Thought he played very well yesterday, much better than a 4 rating. IMO, a solid 7. I think he tired in the last 15-20 mins and I was surprised he wasn't subbed off.

Thought it was great team performance yesterday work rate and fitness which has been missing two full backs who like defending.Though Laird was mom but all worked there socks off in there and the bench did not look that bad either so good start , think will still short one striker but lets see what happens .

As I work in Plymouth and there is several pa supporters on the site, there will be a great bit of banter on monday. They are quite envious that we have a high profile manager and a good squad of players, lets hope things continue well for us as this is the perfect start . I have watched the bc goal several times now on local sport news and have come to the conclusion that bc made the goal look very simple, but he showed great composure and good feet for a big guy ! The ball in from laird was inch perfect and bc did the rest. Well done lads would have loved to been there. Maybe soon ! :smile:

I'd like to see him go down the wing an extra 10 yards and whip in some crosses, but hey, they are the pros. I'm sure they know better than me.

I was really impressed with our first half performance. The second half wasn't that great but it was quite hot and it was the first game of the season. They look a lot more determined though as players are often diving to block shots I noticed. Encouraging signs. Hope we can beat Hartlepool on Saturday and keep climbing.

Decided to wait until today to give my view....I was too excitable at the weekend following 'that' performance.

Basically, I support my local club and do so with pride. We are never going to be world beaters and despite us having dreams of becoming a regular Championship side, realistically we are a decent lower league club. With this in mind, I am realistic to know our limitations but like all sport fans I can dream.

Now to Saturday and that was as good a hard fought team performance as I have seen for many a year at Roots Hall. We may fall short again this season but if we fall short showing that effort, desire, passion and workrate then I could take that. I can handle supporting a certain level of player as long as he shows what our team showed Saturday. Well done to a man. Also, without being lynched by the anti Brown mob, I think the team reflects its manager and we were hard working and organised. We won't smash teams this season but we will be hard to beat. UTB

Bentley 7 - Very safe hands and couple of smart saves. Kicking will improve
White 7 - Skippers performance, very impressed, he looked very fit
Coker 7.5 - Had a real bit of steel about him, technically very tidy too and overlapped well with Straker
Phillips 7 - Looked classy and fittest he has been in his three years here
Prosser 7 - Dependable as usual
Atkinson 8 - Just nipped MOM for me, very busy with great energy levels, he will become a fans favourite
Straker 7 - Decent performance, I give him a fresh start and it's amazing how different he was knowing he has the managers backing.
Laird 7.5 - Box to box, never tires and always there to put a foot in, we really miss him when he is out of the side
Leonard 7.5 - He impresses me time and time again, very underated.
Eastwood 7 - Some neat touches and proved the bashing wrong by closing down and hunting in packs
Corr 7.5 - The guy is a hero, a hard man on the pitch and dserved his goal. A fit Corr will be an asset.

Also, well done to the Southend fans. Lets start a fresh with each player and get behind them each time they pull on a Southend shirt. They won't like to hear it but I thought the corner in the West stand sounded better than when they are in the North tbh

Basically, I support my local club and do so with pride. We are never going to be world beaters and despite us having dreams of becoming a regular Championship side, realistically we are a decent lower league club. With this in mind, I am realistic to know our limitations but like all sport fans I can dream.

This is why we all see the game differently! I see us (Southend) as a Division 2 side - especially if/when we get the new ground. Having grown up with teams like Port Vale and Shrewsbury in that division and now seeing how teams like Reading and Swansea and Bolton and Burnley have moved on up, I can see no reason why we can't be there .......... again.

Fingers crossed.

Hash tag:Onedaymaybe

Bentley, 7, Almost wasnt needed because he had so little to do, think he only made 3 saves. Was the terrible goal kick an accident or a time wasting tactic...? Either way, he looked the part, and glad to see that he has obviously been working hard during the close season, looks a lot bulkier across the shoulders and less likely to be blown over!
White, 7.5, Impressed. Dont want to admit it, because I was a bit puzzled by the change, but definately an upgrade on SC defensively.
Coker 7.5 Fitted straight in and looks solid and dependable.
Phillips 8, Welcome back Mark Phillips!! Looks fit, lean and almost graceful, hopefully completely over his injury worries. Had no trouble with their front men and worked well with Prosser.
Prosser 7, Solid and dependable. Not always pretty, but effective. Just needs to play the ball on the floor a bit more, will come with time under the different regime.
Laird 8, (MOM - just edged it for me over Phillips and BBBC) Glad he stayed with us, ran tirelessly and gave us some options in midfield. Good all round play and had a hand in the goal.
Leonard 7 did a good job, looks very useful, caused them some problems, and then the batteries ran out with about 15 minutes to go!
Atkinson 7 , Took a while to settle down, but did okay. Time will tell, a promising start.
Straker 7.5, Left midfield really does play to his strengths. Very quick, got into some good positions, but final delivery let him down a bit. Agree it was his best game for us so far, just hope the boo-boys get off his case now and let him rebuild his confidence - the boy has potential!
Fred 7, Typical Freddie - drifting in and out of the game, excellent free kick, and excellent tactical play. Needs the ball delivered to his feet - which I think Straker will do when he gets more used to his new role. Definately looks happer under PB, which is helpful. We totally lost shape when he was substituted - couldnt quite work out that decision, he didnt look any more knackered than anyone else!
Corr, 8 No nonsense, caused lots of problems, and managed to bag a real gift of a goal - that would have been harder to miss!

Subs Reid 5, Okay start - didnt set the pitch on fire, but he's only just arrived and didnt really get long to get going - also, think the balance of the side was disrupted with no Fred (which wasnt Reid's fault!!)
Clifford - not on the pitch long enough to comment.

Overall thoughts:
I had no expectations this season, and I was blown away. First game I have really enjoyed watching for quite a while, and I wouldnt have cared (too much) if we had only managed a draw!
The defence looked more solid that I have seen since the Clarke / Barratt partnership.
Timlin will have a big fight on his hands to get back in the side.
Freddie definately has still 'got' it - in a more mature and measured way, massively influential.
Straker will end up being a decent signing for us, looks much better and more comfortable in midfield.
Glad to see Graham Coughlan not only still here, but also having an influential role during the game. Well played Phil Brown.
Decent crowd for the first game, and a buzz round the ground for the first time in a long time. Long may that last!
Plymouth were only one step up from useless, but glad we have got them out of the way and bagged the 3 points because they will get their act together soon!
Usual standard of referreeing - consistently inconsistent. No change there then!

Well he clearly is a villain in your eyes, what did he do, run over your cat?

I thought that was his best game since he's been at the club, he was instrumental in the goal and several other decent moves. He linked up well with and covered for Coker when necessary and gave 100% all game.

In fact for me he ran Laird or Corr close as man of the match!

Can't see how he deserves less than a 7 - give the guy a break for goodness sake and judge him on his performance today, not his overall record since we signed him.

i like what ive just read from you shrimpergarry. people are to quick to look for a fault instead of just riding the good times and giving a man a pat on the back and a hand shake. there will be bad times and we want to encourage our players to get the best. this is the fault today we worry tearing people apart instead of picking the up and wonder why players lose intrest and give up giving there all

sorry for the moan. i just want to see the best in the lads

Back