• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Maidenhead United

Reading that people want Tilson and Brush back makes me laugh must be deluded. Tilson for me is as bad if not worse tactically than Maher. He got lucky in my eyes. Freddie Eastwood came at the right time and those goals pushed us up 2 leagues!
Remember the shocking Tilson signings? Paynter etc
If Maher was to go we need a manager that knows how to get out of the division.
Boooooooo

'Judas' Fry would have hauled him off ( or others ) in the 1st half. I remember twice at home games when firstly Andy Edwards was being given the 'run around' by a forward, & he was subbed after half hour!.
Then we had Joe Allon ( ex Brentford striker? ) on loan, who did nothing in the 1st 25 mins, & 'Judas' promptly subbed him, which must have been embarrassing for the guy?. I don't think he played again?.
I remember it well. Allon was running up and down the touchline giving it the big I am at Southampton and was crap when he played home debut. He was subbed and sacked on the spot by Bazza. Barry Fry was my favorite manager after Tilly & Brush. We could do with Bazza's tactics and attitude now tbh.

I remember it well. Allon was running up and down the touchline giving it the big I am at Southampton and was crap when he played home debut. He was subbed and sacked on the spot by Bazza. Barry Fry was my favorite manager after Tilly & Brush. We could do with Bazza's tactics and attitude now tbh.
Apologies for 'off topic', but i read an interview with Ricky Otto in a Sunday newspaper earlier today. He said in his entire football career, the best most exciting team he played in was here in the 93-94 season, before 'Judas' was headhunted by the bright lights of Birmingham.
He added that had 'Judas' stayed, he was certain we'd have made the Championship play offs that season.
In 57 years of going to Roots Hall, that first half of the season was the most exciting, attacking football i've seen there.

Apologies for 'off topic', but i read an interview with Ricky Otto in a Sunday newspaper earlier today. He said in his entire football career, the best most exciting team he played in was here in the 93-94 season, before 'Judas' was headhunted by the bright lights of Birmingham.
He added that had 'Judas' stayed, he was certain we'd have made the Championship play offs that season.
In 57 years of going to Roots Hall, that first half of the season was the most exciting, attacking football i've seen there.
I loved that time at the club

Unreal side! So entertaining.

My brothers and sisters in Christ 4-4-2 is dead.

You wouldn't ask your accountant to calculate your tax liability on pen and paper so please do not pine for formations and tactics from the age of AIDS and Bon Jovi.

Didnt we recently get beaten by a team playing 4 4 2?

Reading that people want Tilson and Brush back makes me laugh must be deluded. Tilson for me is as bad if not worse tactically than Maher. He got lucky in my eyes. Freddie Eastwood came at the right time and those goals pushed us up 2 leagues!
Remember the shocking Tilson signings? Paynter etc
If Maher was to go we need a manager that knows how to get out of the division.
People dont really want tilly and brush back.

They just want enjoyable football, loads of goals, promotions, insane cup wins, sold out happy roots hall, ya know, happy times.

Just don't think it's the best look for a chairman to be barely able to stand up or talk.

As you well know. I love a beer with the best of them.
I don't think it's a good look for anyone, him being Southend chairman has nothing to do with it but as long as he isn't in that state whilst doing the job I'm not fussed and it's got nothing to do with me.

Didnt we recently get beaten by a team playing 4 4 2?
Dead is probably a slight exaggeration but 4-4-2 isn’t anywhere near as effective a formation as it used to be. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible for a team to win a game using it. It also doesn’t mean we should use it just because someone beat us with it.

Blindly calling for us to play 4-4-2, when we don’t have players that suit that system is ridiculous.

Dead is probably a slight exaggeration but 4-4-2 isn’t anywhere near as effective a formation as it used to be. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible for a team to win a game using it. It also doesn’t mean we should use it just because someone beat us with it.

Blindly calling for us to play 4-4-2, when we don’t have players that suit that system is ridiculous.
Really?

Wind Taylor Crowther Ralph

GSM Husin/Morton Moncur Bridge

Walker Bonne/Pepple

I know it’s a long shot but to say we don’t have players to play 4-4-2 is ridiculous!

I’d like to add I’m not asking for 4-4-2, just think we need to try something.

Back