• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 York City

I'll repeat again, Peter Taylor said on Saturday night, that we must be patient and let this team start to gel again with the addition of new players.
You will always get those that are 'waiting for the opportunity' OBL, that's what happens on Social Media. And SZ is no different unfortunately.

It makes sense there's a need to wait for the team to re-gel after introducing 3 or 4 new aDdfitions. I guess the choice was to delay starting them until this has happened in training or just put them in and it happens as we go along including match time. Definitely our two forwards are going to need lots of minutes playing together to build an understanding, and we currently have a non gelling right hand side too.
I'm wondering if we'd have put out JD right mid, he and his could threaten more, and if we'd stick with cards and sandat until the new guys were bedded into our ways, whether we'd be grinding out wins. Maybe we'd also have pre bite and be more 'streetwise '.
on the other hand maybe the sooner the new guys get match minutes under they're belt the better eel be in time.
Have we got enough time to re-gel and stay safe from relegation?

Last edited:
It makes sense there's a need to wait for the team to re-gel after introducing 3 or 4 new adfitions. I guess the choice was to delay starting them until this has happened in training or just put them in and it happens as we go along including love match time. Definitely our two forwards are going to need lots of minutes playing together to build an understanding, and we currently have a non gelling right hand side too.
I'm wondering if we'd have put out JD right mid, he and his could threaten more, and if we'd stick with cards and sandat until the new guys were bedded into our ways, whether we'd be grinding out wins. Maybe we'd also have pre bite and be more 'streetwise '.
on the other hand maybe the sooner the new guys get match minutes under they're belt the better eel be in time.
And this is why we (the Club) employ Messrs Maher, Curry and Bentley. They're pros and they will know and decide what is the right recipe. In the 3 Amigos we trust.

It makes sense there's a need to wait for the team to re-gel after introducing 3 or 4 new adfitions. I guess the choice was to delay starting them until this has happened in training or just put them in and it happens as we go along including love match time. Definitely our two forwards are going to need lots of minutes playing together to build an understanding, and we currently have a non gelling right hand side too.
I think the problem is more a dip in form for the rest of the team. A lot of them have gone from 8/10 to 4, 5 or 6/10. The two creating most chances, Bridge and Gus, are now hardly creating anything. Crowther and Morton were among the best players on Saturday, so we can't blame the new guys. Waldron will need a few games to bed in, but I think he'll be fine once given goalscoring chances. That's a big problem the coaching team and the other players have to figure out, how to feed Cards and Waldron good chances. It's not happening at the moment.

There should be nothing other than complete support for Kev and team. Hopefully for years to come- we have the right management team in place for sure. And recruitment has been overall very good, and will come good.

I guess the one question I have is that we play three in midfield, have a number of CM but arguably no attacking midfielders who will get in the box, create, score goals. A Josh Rees (as one example) who averages a goal every three games. Are we looking for an attacking MF/number 10? Are they even on the white board as any sort of priority?

At the moment arguably the only attacking CM we have is Wood (and we've not really used him there- no doubt for good reason). It not about throwing money around but for me a single signing that will address what is to to many (e.g. paul clark who does know a thing or two?) an obvious gap?

It looks like Vanarama league for some time to come.
Personally, I feel quite content with the standard of play in this league.
But does the consortium?

I thought York defended well and could have been two up by HT. Morton made that great saving tackle to prevent a shot on goal and soon after they hit the post when they should have scored.

As others have said, there was generally too much dilly-dallying instead of the quicker cross required (from the left) and we lacked penetration. Here's hoping for a much-needed change of fortune on the scoring front at Oxford.

Was worried after yesterday that some would start coming for Collin and it didn’t take long. 20 years old in a position that takes years of experience to master. He’s raw and he’ll make mistakes. Amazing how quickly people forget all the clean sheets he kept during our spell of having the best defence in the league. Absolutely deserved his new contract and may not have had a good game yesterday, but I rate him highly.
Very promising but not quite good enough yet—no problem at all with his contract,but,for example,Hayes who we had on loan from Ipswich (their 5th choice keeper) looked to be a better bet for now.

I thought York defended well and could have been two up by HT. Morton made that great saving tackle to prevent a shot on goal and soon after they hit the post when they should have scored.

As others have said, there was generally too much dilly-dallying instead of the quicker cross required (from the left) and we lacked penetration. Here's hoping for a much-needed change of fortune on the scoring front at Oxford.
It's easy to look like you are defending well when the opposition appear are told not to shoot.

It looks like Vanarama league for some time to come.
Personally, I feel quite content with the standard of play in this league.
But does the consortium?
Your content with the standard of play ! First person I’ve heard that comment from how many games have you watched ? Or does your seat have an obstructed view

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back