• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I don't see it as particularly likely that SUFC will ever pay a rent either at Roots Hall or a new stadium. Especially if Ron Martin no longer owns the club. Firstly the club can't cover its own obligations as it is, let alone adding a five figure rent once a month. And secondly what would anyone do with a 15-22,000 seater football stadium if we were to be evicted? Having the football club play there is fundamental to the financial success of every other part of the project.

Another thing to note, is that £7.6m is due to Southend Council before the ground can be operational. This is in the S106 agreement.

There are 7 s106 agreements that need to be finalised. From what Ron told me in our chance meeting yesterday this is what he was seeing his lawyers about yesterday afternoon. He also re-iterated that he has nothing to do with the football side of things at present whilst he works on the FF project

I don't see it as particularly likely that SUFC will ever pay a rent either at Roots Hall or a new stadium. Especially if Ron Martin no longer owns the club. Firstly the club can't cover its own obligations as it is, let alone adding a five figure rent once a month. And secondly what would anyone do with a 15-22,000 seater football stadium if we were to be evicted? Having the football club play there is fundamental to the financial success of every other part of the project.

That would certainly make sense, if the clubs attendances covered running costs and the ground made money from other areas it would still be worth owning even if the club didnt pay rent.

Problem is will Ron feel so charitable if he ever sold the football club?

If we remain at 4000-8000 attendances its hard to see how we would be able to pay anything. I always thought the new stadium would generate a decent increase, but Col U have shown that thats not a given.

That would certainly make sense, if the clubs attendances covered running costs and the ground made money from other areas it would still be worth owning even if the club didnt pay rent.

If we remain at 4000-8000 attendances its hard to see how we would be able to pay anything. I always thought the new stadium would generate a decent increase, but Col U have shown that thats not a given.

I am not so sure Col U is a good example. They appear to be a club with very limited support no matter what they do. We however, in the past, have shown the kind of attendances possible. Not just cup games but many league games. Its not very long ago we were pushing ten thousand at RH and many felt it could have been higher if we had the seats the away fans did not sell. I feel sure that with good results, good play and good prospects, the attendances will rise significantly. 22k will be a stretch but who knows if we find ourselves playing in the higher echelons of league football. I can but dream.

I think Ron stated in one of his previous communications that he may, upon completion of everything, be minded to give the stadium to the council. It was that or something along those lines - such along time ago I can't remember the exact wording.

I don't think it's about charity. Unless the club is flying high in at least the Championship getting 15k fans every other week then it won't generate sufficient cash to pay rent ahead of its other obligations and I'd suspect that Ron Martin knows that better than anyone.

If the club is at that level and can generate enough cash to pay rent then maybe that will then be demanded but if we're in that position then we'll be doing ok.

I'd like to see Ron's business plan. Do you think he has one? :hilarious:

I think Ron stated in one of his previous communications that he may, upon completion of everything, be minded to give the stadium to the council. It was that or something along those lines - such along time ago I can't remember the exact wording.

If that happens Ill paint myself pink and jog to Lands End with a cucumber up my .....

If that happens Ill paint myself pink and jog to Lands End with a cucumber up my .....

Any excuse...

I don't think it's out of the question - especially if we won't be paying rent in the short term. Why keep hold of the stadium and be responsible for the costs attached to it? Better to give it away and let someone else worry about the bills and maintenence payments.

Ron Martin never wanted a football stadium. He wanted a retail park and a shed-load of flats. But he couldn't have RonWorld without the stadium. Once it's built the only real reason to keep hold of it that I can see would be as a vanity project.

Any excuse...

I don't think it's out of the question - especially if we won't be paying rent in the short term. Why keep hold of the stadium and be responsible for the costs attached to it? Better to give it away and let someone else worry about the bills and maintenence payments.

Ron Martin never wanted a football stadium. He wanted a retail park and a shed-load of flats. But he couldn't have RonWorld without the stadium. Once it's built the only real reason to keep hold of it that I can see would be as a vanity project.

Well Id be doing it anyway, easy forfeit.

He may want to sell it on, but give it away ? I dont see that happening.

Since Ron mentioned about lack of communication from the club to the fans , Sue Page has emailed me with 'stalker' like regularity !:winking:

I love Ron

He may want to sell it on, but give it away ? I dont see that happening.

Who would pay millions of pounds for a massive building which costs a fortune to run, can only be used for one thing and where the only possible tenants can't afford to pay rent?

Can't see too many potential takers.

Who would pay millions of pounds for a massive building which costs a fortune to run, can only be used for one thing and where the only possible tenants can't afford to pay rent?

I'm sure I saw "Concert Venue" mooted by RM.

Doesnt sound like something the council would want either then!

Someone has to own it, and the any debt incurred in building it.

Did Ron actually ever say it could be handed to the Council ? I dont remember anything like that ever being said.

If he was giving it away why not give it to Southend United ?

He said something about considering giving it away a few years ago. I can't remember if it was in a statement or at a supporters meeting, and I thought that he'd said about giving it to the Club and not the Council but could be wrong.

Personally I think he'll keep it under his control as a vanity project but washing his hands of it as soon as he no longer needs it doesn't seem as crazy an idea as it first sounds.

Doesnt sound like something the council would want either then!

Someone has to own it, and the any debt incurred in building it.

Did Ron actually ever say it could be handed to the Council ? I dont remember anything like that ever being said.

If he was giving it away why not give it to Southend United ?

I can't find it but I am pretty certain I didn't just make it up!! Think it may have been said at a Q&A session a few years back.

I can't find it but I am pretty certain I didn't just make it up!! Think it may have been said at a Q&A session a few years back.

I seem to remember it was at the last agm at hotel at pier hill, Ron made some comment about possibility of him walking away leaving the stadium with the club, although he said he was in it for the long term. Mind you my memory isnt improving with age. Didnt some zoners take notes at the time, im sure they did.

I seem to remember it was at the last agm at hotel at pier hill, Ron made some comment about possibility of him walking away leaving the stadium with the club, although he said he was in it for the long term. Mind you my memory isnt improving with age. Didnt some zoners take notes at the time, im sure they did.

Well thats why I made the comment above, if he did one day want to walk away then I personally think he would want to get something for it.

If he was going to give it away why not just give it back to the club.

And if he was really prepared to do that why doesnt he just do it now ? If its a vanity thing then by owning the club he owns the ground anyway.

All seems a little too much like a little carrot to dangle over fans. 'Yes of course Ill probably give the club the ground at somepoint, please be nice to me......'

Back