• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Rochdale v Southend United, Saturday 19th October, 17:30 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
This is a really tough match and I'd be more than happy with a point. Always a difficult place to go and they were battering us last season before we pulled a goal back and eventually got a hard earned draw. Their form has been really good of late too, something we really can't boast about.

We can't afford to go 2-0 down in this one like we did previously as I really don't think we currently have the fire power to over turn that.

Pepple has to start and it will be interesting to see who comes in for Gus. It's a huge ask to just throw Wind in there. I'm not saying he shouldn't play or he won't play, but it wouldn't surprise me if we see a different option in there. Foran for some defensive stability? Bridge in there? Taylor moved across? On balance, I think I would go for Wind as it's too much of a reshuffle for anything else.

He won't be dropped, but Husin has to really up his game. Appiah must consider himself hard done by with not getting game time whilst Husin is playing so below his best. I'm hoping the TV cameras will kick him into shape.

Hopefully a positive result, which will lead us nicely into games against Aldershot and Tamworth. 9 points up for grabs in 1 week. A whole season can turn around during that time. COYB's!

Last edited:
This is a really tough match and I'd be more than happy with a point. Always a difficult place to go and they were battering us last season before we pulled a goal back and eventually got a hard earned draw. Their form has been really good of late too, something we really can't boast about.

We can't afford to go 2-0 down in this one like we did previously as I really don't think we currently have the fire power to over turn that.

Pepple has to start and it will be interesting to see who comes in for Gus. It's a huge ask to just throw Wind in there. I'm not saying he shouldn't play or he won't play, but it wouldn't surprise me if we see a different option in there. Foran for some defensive stability? Bridge in there? Taylor moved across? On balance, I think I would go for Wind as it's too much of a reshuffle for anything else.

He won't be dropped, but Husin has to really up his game. Appiah must consider himself hard done by with not getting game time whilst Husin is playing so below his best. I'm hoping the TV cameras will kick him into shape.

Hopefully a positive result, which will lead us nicely into games against Aldershot and Tamworth. 9 points up for grabs in 1 week. A whole season can turn around during that time. COYB's!
Great post B4LD
I cant wait for Saturday now, to get a win would be incredible. Looking forward to seeing the boys get the ball down and control the play away from home, this is where Maherball, as some coin the phrase, really plays into our hands and frustrates the opposition.
I would love to see KAF back out there and Pepple, them boys bring the energy ! Oh, and goals !

Have been twice: one a win: New Year's Day, 1990; one defeat, the latter the last ever appearance for the legendary Billy Best in a Southend shirt.
Have already catalogued the odyssey that took me from Liverpool to Spotland in April '73: a succession of train journeys that took six hours, yes, six, for a 35-mile journey as the crow flies.
However, picked up a rare LP on the way; got to see Oldham Mumps station and got into Spotland for £1 at 3.10pm when the turnstiles were shut.
"Hey mister, give us a quid because I know a way in..."
A hole in the wooden fence provided, and afterwards schoolmate Dave Barnett said: 'you should have come a bit earlier: I could have given you half a dozen tickets!'

Wind needs to start. He is competition to Gus in that position. If we have failed to prepare him to cover for Gus in both training and minutes on the pitch then that would be poor.

After our cup win (yes, it really happened!) we’re back on the road to Greater Manchester to play Rochdale in a late kick off, due to Dazn TV.

The Dale, currently managed by their long serving centre back Jimmy McNulty, are in 5th place in the National League in this their second consecutive season at this level. Their form over the last six league games is much better than ours.

View attachment 34314

They had a thumping 4-1 win at AFC Fylde in the cup last weekend but prior to that had a less inspiring 2-2 draw at lowly Ebbsfleet and 1-0 win at home to Braintree. They also lost in September to both Solihull and Eastleigh - two of the only teams we’ve beaten in recent memory! Kairo Mitchell is the man to watch up front with 12 goals in all competitions so far this season which earned him the National League player of the month for September.

We will of course have to do without our own hotshot, Gus Scott-Morriss as he sits this one out due to a suspension for accumulating 5 yellow cards in the National League. This will presumably mean a first start for George Wind. Kev will also have to decide whether to recall Jack Bridge and George Moncur who were both benched for the FA Cup game and whether Bim Pepple deserves a start.

One thing Kev will also have to improve is his disappointing record for northern away games.

The match kicks off at the later time of 17:30 because of TV coverage. For those travelling, please see the excellent thread by @DoDTS that tells you all you could possibly need to know. https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/threads/rochdale-saturday-19th-october-2024.119588/

There seems an unfeasible amount of interest in this game given not one but two unofficial pre-match threads were started early in the week (please wait for the official one rather than starting your own so we can keep the format standardised), so who would you choose to start and what do you predict the result will be?
Jimmy McNulty has done really well as Rochdale's player manager and on a very modest budget as well. Unlike the likes of Barnet and Forest Green Rovers, Rochdale have shopped in the bargain basement area and put together a very useful team. Let's hope Southend start the game with Pepple and Walker or Bonne up front, and try seize the initiative from the outset. Judging by Rochdale's recent form, Southend could playing catch-up if they go into this game with a defensive mentality.

Anyone buying a programme on Saturday? ;

Rochdale AFC’s matchday programme – The Voice of Spotland – is back for Saturday’s Vanarama National League fixture against Southend United.

TVOS has had a revamp for this season, but still contains many of the features – and new ones – to keep you entertained and informed before, during and after the match!

The programme starts with a front cover image of Kairo Mitchell, our hat-trick scorer last Saturday, complete with the matchball from the win at AFC Fylde.

Jimmy McNulty reflects on that victory at Mill Farm, after which we have a host of features, including:

ON THIS DAY – previous games and Dale events on 19th October.

HALF-TIME QUIZ – an updated quiz page that tests your Dale and general footballing knowledge.

OVERSEAS DALE – a new series looking at Dale players who were born away from these shores. This time, it’s a Welsh international who was born in Saudi Arabia!

SCRUTATOR – the longest-serving columnist in football programmes returns to look at things he misses in modern football.

ACROSS THE WATER – Bray-based Dale fan Brian Quigley is back with his look at general football matters.

THROUGH THE YEARS – what Dale were doing at this time 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 & 50 Years Ago.

DALE ACTION – a selection of images from the games against Maidenhead United and Solihull Moors.

TRAVELLER’S TALES – after a season’s hiatus, the popular write-up of watching Dale on the road is back, with reflections on the trip to Aldershot Town.

THEY SCORED IN TIME ALLOWED! - a new feature about Dale goals scored after the fourth official’s board went up. This issue looks at a winning free-kick from September 2008.

KIT COMBOS – Dale wore five different kit combinations in their first eight games of the season. We look at the colours and reveal when it has happened before.

Visitors Southend United get five pages of coverage and there are also previews of our upcoming home and away fixtures.

All this and more will be in Saturday’s The Voice of Spotland, on sale in the Club Shop and around the ground, priced £3.00.

(Looks decent)

Have been twice: one a win: New Year's Day, 1990; one defeat, the latter the last ever appearance for the legendary Billy Best in a Southend shirt.
Have already catalogued the odyssey that took me from Liverpool to Spotland in April '73: a succession of train journeys that took six hours, yes, six, for a 35-mile journey as the crow flies.
However, picked up a rare LP on the way; got to see Oldham Mumps station and got into Spotland for £1 at 3.10pm when the turnstiles were shut.
"Hey mister, give us a quid because I know a way in..."
A hole in the wooden fence provided, and afterwards schoolmate Dave Barnett said: 'you should have come a bit earlier: I could have given you half a dozen tickets!'
Blimey, you were a right Herbert in your day CPM and I Thought Teresa May was a handful with her running through the fields in her youth :).

Jimmy McNulty has done really well as Rochdale's player manager and on a very modest budget as well. Unlike the likes of Barnet and Forest Green Rovers, Rochdale have shopped in the bargain basement area and put together a very useful team. Let's hope Southend start the game with Pepple and Walker or Bonne up front, and try seize the initiative from the outset. Judging by Rochdale's recent form, Southend could playing catch-up if they go into this game with a defensive mentality.
Quite a career change from Baltimore police detective as well

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back