• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I seem to remember Sunderland playing at RH (in August) last time we were in the Championship.Don't think we've ever played them in L1 or even the old third division though.

The Boy Robbie is still traumatised from the seven nil in the third division (or whatever it was called at the time) and you can't even remember it.......you're getting old.........

Sunderland’s ‘g-force’ of Gates and Gabbiadini scored a hatful of goals against us in that 87/88 season from memory. An 11-1 scoreline of combined fixtures is pretty severe, there can’t have been many bigger margins of defeat than that in our history. We lost 10-1 to Palace on aggregate over two legs in the league cup once, that maybe the closest to it!

On a purely selfish note, I'd like both MK Dons & Northampton to stay up, and to be joined by Luton. :winking:

I'm with you there, MK.. It's already too northern anyway.

As much as i hate MK Dons, it is a better away day than say, Rochdale or some other grom northern village etc...

Meanwhile at the base of our league Bury are doomed, Cobblers look to need a minor miracle not to be joining them.
All to play for for the final two spots between an "in form" Rochdale, and dropping like stones MK Dons and AFC W'dons; however if we get 3 points at Oldham then they could be back in the mix.
For me, and I know they are more local BUT I'd rather have MK and W'don drop out of our league;- neither seems a proper club where as Rochdale does.

With you on MK (even if it is a local one for me - ****'em) but AFC Wimbledon not a proper club? Bit harsh!

Accrington v Sunderland is a great David v Goliath fixture - hard to imagine a bigger contrast between two clubs in the same division.

They played each other 8 times in the 90s ........

....... the 1890s !

I seem to remember Sunderland playing at RH (in August) last time we were in the Championship.Don't think we've ever played them in L1 or even the old third division though.
We beat them 3-1 that day, remember Richie Foran scoring. I think Niall Quinn was temporary manager and Roy Keane was appointed straight after that game and they went on to win the league. Still the loudest away fans I remember at RH.

We beat them 3-1 that day, remember Richie Foran scoring. I think Niall Quinn was temporary manager and Roy Keane was appointed straight after that game and they went on to win the league. Still the loudest away fans I remember at RH.
I just double checked and completely made that bit up! Must have been thinking of Lee Bradbury.

As much as i hate MK Dons, it is a better away day than say, Rochdale or some other grom northern village etc...

Generalisation or what? Not all northern towns are grim - certainly would welcome the return of Carlisle to league 1, and Lincoln and one day York City would be two places even you would relish a day out at. Struggling to find one positive feature of Milton Keynes, on the other hand.

Generalisation or what? Not all northern towns are grim - certainly would welcome the return of Carlisle to league 1, and Lincoln and one day York City would be two places even you would relish a day out at. Struggling to find one positive feature of Milton Keynes, on the other hand.

Hello. :raspberry:

I remember that, what a day. IIRC a Sunderland fan threw his shirt on to the pitch when our third went in.

really? Sole less stadium in the middle of an out of town complex is better than watching football in a real northern stadium with fish and chips and local brew? not for me it aint...

The Boy Robbie is still traumatised from the seven nil in the third division (or whatever it was called at the time) and you can't even remember it.......you're getting old.........

True.That was before Ifollow of course.:winking:

See Uncle Leo's previous post on this subject (earlier in the thread.Do keep up!).

I do remember that Championship match against Sunderland well and the home game against Stoke that August too.Not to mention our away game at Palace and away at Leeds later that season!
Also saw Sunderland at Fulham in the Prem just a few years ago as well.:cricko:

Really? Sole less stadium in the middle of an out of town complex is better than watching football in a real northern stadium with fish and chips and local brew? not for me it ain't...

I agree with you .......... except that Spotland is a football ground (i.e. has character like Roots Hall) and not a stadium! Perhaps the closest fish and chip shop to a footie ground in the country? I know there is one quite close at Swindon and at Grimsby ...... but not just across the street!

P.S. Is there one near to Fleetwood as well? I seem to think there is but I could easily be wrong.

really? Sole less stadium in the middle of an out of town complex is better than watching football in a real northern stadium with fish and chips and local brew? not for me it aint...

So that's another minus for MK. Most northern fish and chip shops do haddock, cod, plaice AND sole. I didn't realise MK was sole less.

Just looking at the Championship table, looks like we’ll be playing Burton and Sunderland next season. Would like Reading or Birmingham to join them as both would be good away trips.

Big surprise is Millwall scumbags in the playoffs, how the hell are they up there? :thumbdown:

Just looking at the Championship table, looks like we’ll be playing Burton and Sunderland next season. Would like Reading or Birmingham to join them as both would be good away trips.

Big surprise is Millwall scumbags in the playoffs, how the hell are they up there? :thumbdown:

Been to Sunderland's ground (new and old), Birmingham and Burton ........... so would be pleased to have a reason to tick off the Reading ground. :smile:

Bury are all but mathematically down. Northampton are very likely to join them which is a shame as it's local (closer to home than Roots Hall for me). I'd be happy to see Oldham and Rochdale join them, put a slightly more Southern bias on the division.

At the other end of the table, I take Wigan and Blackburn to hold off Shrewsbury with Plymouth snatching the 3rd promotion slot via the pay-offs.

Unfortunately we're likely to get 3 Northern teams dropping down (Burton and Sunderland, and I suspect Barnsley or Bolton), but I'd love it if Reading came down (never been to the Majeski), or Birmingham (for so many reasons).

Joining us from League 2 is more difficult to predict. Accrington (great little club, really punching above their weight), and Luton (what can I say that hasn't been said before, but at least it's local) are all but up, but who will join them? My choice would be Wycombe and Lincoln.

If this all pans out the way I'd like, I'll be going to quite a few away games next season.

New season......old rivalries?

Looking at the tables to see who will likely be amongst our opponents next season, it seems probable there will be one or two old rivalriesand a visit to a 48,000+ seater stadium (wonder how many we'll bring in?). As there was no thread this could really fit into I thought I'd start one for discussion.
Sunderland is another very long trip but a mouthwatering venue............another one of those 'big' sides who ocassionally honour us with a visit (usually brief) to League One. Burton always a good contest and usually needle games..........play-offs? With their attendances, one wonders how they stayed in the Championship for as long as they did. Barnsley, Bolton or Birmingham will probably join them.............the latter would be nice and a shorter trip.
Coming up? Well, who'd have though it?..........Accrington..........welcoming northerners whose set up, some would say, is more suitable to the National League. Who will be able to resist a wonderful away day at Luton? and echoes of one of the greatest days in Blues history as we lock horns again with Wycombe. As for the rest, another visit to the midlands or a long trek to Exeter and who could only but dream of a trip to Lincoln and competing against the Cowley's?
Whilst we're there, who will not have tears running down their face for a rivalry which won't happen. Our northern county neighbours, with two consecutive defeats, have seen their play-off hopes evaporate. Lastly, I'm a bit sorry for Chesterfield, who look as though they'll be playing Orient next year. I really enjoyed my trip up there (nearly five years ago now!) Great beer and fish & chips a short distance from a pleasant ground.

Back