• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Peter Taylor Event with Andy Ansah and others

This has been posted with MOD permission.

On 10 Feb 2024 we are running another SUEPA event at the Essex County Bowls Club in Westcliff, this time it will be "An Evening with Peter 'Spud' Taylor"

The event earlier this year for Dave Smith was a sell out and a great success, and this one will be run along similar lines.

It will be hosted by Glenn Pennyfather in a 'stories and memories' evening with Peter and many of his former teammates from his early 1970's SUFC playing days and those that played under him in the mid 90's at Roots Hall.

So far we have the following former players lined up to come along:
  • From Spud’s Roots Hall playing days: Ray Ternent, Micky Beesley, Dave Barnett, Kenny Reynolds, and Peter Hunt
  • From Spud’s Roots Hall managerial period: Graham Bressington, Phil Gridelet, Paul Sansome, Dave Regis, Andy Thomson (flying down from Scotland for this), Shane Westley, Harry Willis, Adam Locke, Steve Tilson, Mark Hone, Declan Perkins, Frankie Banks (coach) and the latest to say yes Mr Ooh Andy Ansah.
I hope to add one or two more former players to the above. As with anything of this nature, the attendee list is subject to change.

A promotional highlights video can be found here: PETER TAYLOR EVENT VIDEO

All profits on the night will go to the Shrimpers Trust, and a sizeable donation will be made to the Bobby Moore Prostate Cancer Fund.

The event kicks off at 7.30 pm with arrivals from 7.00 pm (so, after the home match scheduled v York that day). It will end by circa 10 pm, with a bar extension running through to 10.45 pm.

Dress code is casual - anyone wearing a SUFC shirt on the night will be given the opportunity to be part of a group picture with Peter and all of the other former players.

Tickets are priced at just £15 each which includes a half-time pizza snack and can be purchased from the Shrimpers Trust website here: BUY TICKETS

It should be another great night. Do let me know if any questions.

Cheers, Andy
Andy, not wishing to be pedantic about this, but I have it on very good authority that it is the Bobby Moore Bowel Cancer Fund. Bobby had both testicular and bowel cancer. Whatever it is though, it is a mighty good cause.

Dear All,

For those attending, just a reminder that if you wear a Southend United football shirt (any era) to the event you'll be invited up to the front at half time during the event to have a group pic with Spud and all the players attending (akin to that we did at the Smithy tribute event last year - see below - if you want to be noticed wear the 1910/11 one like Tony last year).

The downside to this is that those not taking part in the pic might eat all the pizza while the pic is being done :Madhouse:

Arrivals from 7.00 pm, we will aim to start promptly at 7.30 pm, with King Kev kicking things off. Bar extension arranged. Justin has said he will be there. Pip will be doing a highlights video.

All net proceeds to go to the Trust, with a sizeable donation also being made to the Bobby Moore Prostate Cancer Fund.

Dave Shields will be there selling copies of his book and a few special prints. The latest two Keith Bird pics (including that of the Liverpool match) will also be available to buy for the first time before going on sale online next week.

Had an event rehearsal with Spud and Glenn last week - they'll be some cracking stories, and I can't praise Glenn enough for his commitment (and all who attended last year and/or the sponsors eve last season will know just how good he is at the hosting role). Didn't realise that Spuddy was in the changing room when Beckham and Hoddle were getting a bit narky with each other after that World Cup sending off - that's a good tale.

And I have got some fabulously unique prizes for the raffle - including one you will not quite believe (just need to find a model for it - the two folk I've asked to do that so far have told me to f off :Stunned:)

Let me know if any questions. UTB.

PXL_20230218_224116736.MP-01.jpeg

As i haven't got a shirt that still fits me ( shrank in the wash! ), i guess i'll probably focus on the half time pizza!.
May i ask what it will be?. Ham & Mushroom, Pepperoni, Meat feast (!) or otherwise?.
Looking forward to a great nostalgic evening.
In that case @Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset you might have your model here!!!

Pizzas - if anything like last year - will be a mix of toppings including vegetarian. There was loads last time.

This event is TODAY - we are all looking forwards to welcoming everyone back to Roots Hall who is coming along as a prelude to the evening.

Please give them a rousing reception - and also, please be respectful of them sitting in South Lower if you see them (which is where the Club have decided to put them).

Last edited:

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back