• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I don't normally have to listen to radio but thank god for that. Listening to Babbage is like eating glass. I'm this close to turning off. Man Flu beat me tonight....

Couldn't agree more. I really can't listen to Babbage, he has to be the worse commentator ever, he will talk about the weather, the ground, the referee, and some random fact about how the opposite number 5 used to play for "The iron" and then suddenly announce a fine save from a Leonard shot which has gone out for a corner. The next piece of actual commentary will usually skip the resultant corner and jump to a great clearance from Ferdinand !! He is hopeless !!

Monotone drivel at about twenty seconds behind the action....

Spot on. This is exactly the issue.

Commentary should be just calling the game and then breaking off for other things if the ball is out of play, but he just side-tracks all the time, while the ball is in play, then sums up what we've just missed while he's been prattling on about something else.

It's like some fella who is watching the game through an open bathroom window overlooking the ground and can't quite make out what's happening, whilst relaying it to someone listening on the landing.

Still, despite him, a thoroughly enjoyable win!!! :happy::happy:

Great win from the lads this eve. Was worried at half time text my brother and said 90+ mins on sat + 45 mins tonight zero shots on target. 2nd half 2 efforts on target 2 goals #clinical

Commentary should be just calling the game and then breaking off for other things if the ball is out of play, but he just side-tracks all the time, while the ball is in play, then sums up what we've just missed while he's been prattling on about something else.

It's like some fella who is watching the game through an open bathroom window overlooking the ground and can't quite make out what's happening, whilst relaying it to someone listening on the landing.

When he does commentate in time he normally ums and ahs, saying it's a save or something and forgets to say whether it's gone out for a corner or whether the ball is still in play. It kind of adds to the excitement that at anytime he will shout out "it's a goal"... like watching teletext

That's exactly it. Far too ponderous and sometimes you don't even know if it's us or them who've had a shot at goal!

Also, it doesn't bring the best out of Clarky, as he ends up half-commentating as well.

This season is starting to have a feel good factor about it and a real team starting to gel together and grind out wins...I'm looking forward to final 15 games....8 wins...3 draws and 4 defeats should give us play off berth...would love another crack at the championship!!!!

Great Result tonight, just what the doctor ordered.

Fortune edging further up the POTY vote!!!!

And as for Babbage he is a disgrace as a commentator. As well as views on the Blues on Saturday, he should be named and shamed in comments to BBC Essex imo.

Bradford and Millwall in reach and when you take into account our game in hand is Bolton at home, why aim for the play offs, aim for top two and if we just miss the play offs are second prize!!

UTB

This season is starting to have a feel good factor about it and a real team starting to gel together and grind out wins...I'm looking forward to final 15 games....8 wins...3 draws and 4 defeats should give us play off berth...would love another crack at the championship!!!!

And don't forget the new stadium is closer than ever. :whistling::whistling:

I switched the radio on last night but when I realised it was Babbage, I switched it off and followed the game on Twitter and SZ instead :nope:
So different to Nick Alliker who is such a good commentator you feel like you're actually at the game.
COYB :loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter:

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back