• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Opinions on Current Club Crest?

He didnt ask the question that you've given a forceful opinion about? You've wasted all that energy and being opinionated about on the wrong thing. I suggest you re-read it....properly?
To be fair, he's asked what people think of the club crest and so any response with an opinion seems valid to me? We don't have to agree, but folks are entitled to say what they think :Thumbs up:

People are "answering" a question that wasn't even asked. The poster only asked what we think of it. They didnt say "what changes would you make?" People need to read posts properly before getting all weird about it. It might be part of a wider project on brand recognition and the role of club badges. Back off. Chill.

and this part of my answer was what I think.

"Essex football club, by the sea, nicknamed the shrimpers, all summed up pictorially in the badge."

The rest was an opinion, based on the fact that the title of the thread is:

"Opinions on current club crest?"

So it did ask for opinions as well.

I might reply to you that perhaps the title of the thread should also be read, as well as the posts if I wasn't backing off and chilling.

I like it as a shield and the elements are all there. I wouldn’t want it to change to one of those monstrous round badge things that seem to be the current trend but would be open to a modernisation of the shield to bring it up to date. Especially now we have new owners.

I can perfectly understand the sensitivity to changing it though.

"Essex football club, by the sea, nicknamed the shrimpers, all summed up pictorially in the badge."

I might reply to you that perhaps the title of the thread should also be read, as well as the posts if I wasn't backing off and chilling.

“Leave the badge alone!” - he didn’t say he was changing it?

“If you're bored go and muck about with Col U's!” - a bit rude if you ask me 🤔

Hello, I'm a design student working on a football project and would like to know what you fans think about the current club badge?

Interesting question - I like the current badge, it represents Southend and “The Shrimpers” really well.
That said, I am not overly precious about it. If someone designed a new one and I preferred the new design over the current version then I’d say change it.

People are "answering" a question that wasn't even asked. The poster only asked what we think of it. They didnt say "what changes would you make?" People need to read posts properly before getting all weird about it. It might be part of a wider project on brand recognition and the role of club badges. Back off. Chill.
Wise men and Magi have been preaching that approach for decades, but this is ShrimperZone.

The crest is pretty much perfect design wise. It was a great update on the blue/yellow version from the 90s where everything looked squashed.

The only thing I would change is to make the background white and the images blue - it'd make everything stand out a bit more.

You seem very angry.

Thanks for the answers guys, I was asking an open question to find out about fans opinions on the design of their clubs starting with the logo as this is the main focal point of any clubs visual identity. It's not about changing the logo as I understand that this is a modern day problem within the business side of football. The project is about how design elements can enhance people's connection to clubs.

This could be posters around the city, developing a more exciting social media presence, imagery around the training ground, in the tunnel or a custom typeface as examples. The power of design within football is huge and these days it can effect on players performances, what club they sign for, fan engagement and excitement etc. The main part of this project is to put fans first in the clubs visual representation something that is lacking within football these days.

Thanks for the answers guys, I was asking an open question to find out about fans opinions on the design of their clubs starting with the logo as this is the main focal point of any clubs visual identity. It's not about changing the logo as I understand that this is a modern day problem within the business side of football. The project is about how design elements can enhance people's connection to clubs.

This could be posters around the city, developing a more exciting social media presence, imagery around the training ground, in the tunnel or a custom typeface as examples. The power of design within football is huge and these days it can effect on players performances, what club they sign for, fan engagement and excitement etc. The main part of this project is to put fans first in the clubs visual representation something that is lacking within football these days.
Im sorry some were more reactive to your post. They hadn't appreciated someone looking at the importance of design and branding and how they enhance connections, and just went for the "leave our badge alone" approach. As someone who appreciates the power of design I wish you all the best your project. We could even learn about profile and market place presence. Might be worth sending in your project to the club.

Whilst I do love our club badge, it is a bit basic looking to me, limiting it to two colours can be impactful but we do have a number of elements to it. I wouldn’t mind the Shrimp being redesigned a little bit, make it a bit more elegant, and wouldn’t mind seeing a more dynamic perhaps 2-tone blue version designed to see what it looked like as long as the overall shape and 4 design elements were kept.

What I would like to see though is more modern playful takes on club branding for merchandise, focusing on our nickname The Shrimpers. More illustrative interpretations of the Shrimp and Sea elements, even featuring our mascot Sammy the Shrimp! We really need to be more imaginative with our branding and merchandise, I’d also love to see us use Southend Pier in our merch too, which part of the identity of our city. Imho English football has a lot to learn about marketing and creating connections to community through it’s branding and merchandise, it’ll rub some the wrong way we could learn a lot from Major League Baseball teams who do this very well.

Last edited:
Obviously we see this thread has gone off the rails a bit... but just to add, I personally like it and don't think it needs changing, but the only thing I would like to see in there, if it ever was changed, would be 1906 somewhere. Of course, a lot of clubs do have their established year in their crest, I guess it's a fine line in not becoming overcrowded.

Alternatively start another thread similar to this but called Onions on Current Club’s burgers?

Obviously we see this thread has gone off the rails a bit... but just to add, I personally like it and don't think it needs changing, but the only thing I would like to see in there, if it ever was changed, would be 1906 somewhere. Of course, a lot of clubs do have their established year in their crest, I guess it's a fine line in not becoming overcrowded.
Agree and with you on including 1906, needs to be their in my humble opinion but not as you say overcrowding it. I wonder if a small scroll banner at the top of the shield would work in the same manner the Southend United larger one does at the bottom 🤔

Back