• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

amsemp

Director⭐
Nice to see Mitch Pinnock get a decent run out at Roots Hall. I know he didn't really get into the game fully, but thought he looked very promising. Definitely one for the future!

Hope to see him figure more next season. Let's build a good young squad starting with Bentley. COYB!

Was good to see him and Seedy Njie getting some game time. Both looked promising.

Crewe played an entire team of Academy graduates today, and beat Walsall 2-0. That's not a criticism of what Ricky Duncan is doing, but it shows both how much work we still have to put into developing talent - and the benefit of doing it.

Crewe played an entire team of Academy graduates today, and beat Walsall 2-0. That's not a criticism of what Ricky Duncan is doing, but it shows both how much work we still have to put into developing talent - and the benefit of doing it.

That's class. Huge respect for Crewe with their youth setup, the best outside the Premiership for sure. Crewe don't seem to mind playing their youngsters, but ours seem to have to sit on the bench for 5 games before they get 10 minutes of football. Desperately want us to start giving these youngsters a real chance. We did it with Ferdinand and look at the player we got out of it!

Nice to see Mitch Pinnock get a decent run out at Roots Hall. I know he didn't really get into the game fully, but thought he looked very promising. Definitely one for the future!

Hope to see him figure more next season. Let's build a good young squad starting with Bentley. COYB!

All our attacks in the last 25 mins came from Pinnock. Looks quick with an eye for a pass

Get the pair of them and Auger amongst the first team friendlies throughout pre season.

Along with Bentley, it really gets fans on side having some homegrown players coming through the ranks

Not just the work but money (money we don't have)
crewe spend and have spend a lot of money on their academy. But we are producing some good players with our COE!

That's class. Huge respect for Crewe with their youth setup, the best outside the Premiership for sure. Crewe don't seem to mind playing their youngsters, but ours seem to have to sit on the bench for 5 games before they get 10 minutes of football. Desperately want us to start giving these youngsters a real chance. We did it with Ferdinand and look at the player we got out of it!

You can't just throw them into the first team. Nick Powell's first 7 appearances came from the subs bench. Max Clayton's first 8 appearances came from the subs bench too. I'm sure I could find more examples, but these are the two that have made big impacts lately.

looked very quick and alert, will definitely have some fight in him to prove he's good enough to retain his place as well... would definitely like to see some more of our youth players at the start of next season, even if it's just the friendlies!

Crewe give their young boys playing time - we don't. Simple as that!

The players have got to be good enough to get playing time though. Crewe's lads get playing time because they are at a suitable enough level of ability to play first team L1 and L2 football. Our's are not. If they were, they would play. Despite what some people think, it would be foolish to play youngsters in league matches just for the sake of it and just because we've produced them.... when they are replacing better players. Tilson could see that the youth products weren't as good as Duncan and others thought they were, and Sturrock largely came to the same conclusion. That is no coincidence.

Unfortunately I think we're in "no man's land" with the youth team. The amount of money going into it isn't CONSISTENTLY producing talent which is good enough for league footvall. Upper reaches of non-league yes, but not consistently league standard. But we can't afford to put any more money in. Unless we can consistently produce youth players with genuine league potential, then I think we'd be better off slashing the youth budget and putting it into acquiring a better standard of player from elsewhere.

I was, however, impressed with Pinnock today, and thought Njie looked bigger and stronger than any other youth graduate I've seen here. I'll be watching with interest to see how they do!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Seem both play for the Youth team - still think Payne is the real deal....

Get the pair of them and Auger amongst the first team friendlies throughout pre season.

Along with Bentley, it really gets fans on side having some homegrown players coming through the ranks

I totally agree with this.

Totally agree in priniciple, ive never been a manager or anything like that but surely if our kids were good enough for the first team they would be in it? I doubt any manager would not play a player that could get them points on the board just because they were youf!

How many of our youth players that dont make it with us go on to play for other league teams? (im not fishing with this comment, it would be interesting to know.)

Crewe's youth setup costs millions every year, I think I heard all the Powell money went into covering the losses the youth system had made for the past 2 years, following Crewe's setup on a much smaller budget won't achieve much

Crewe's youth setup costs millions every year, I think I heard all the Powell money went into covering the losses the youth system had made for the past 2 years, following Crewe's setup on a much smaller budget won't achieve much

Their chairman was quoted last year as saying they had to sell £750'000 of academy players a year to make it pay !

Was impressed in him in his short stint. Potential regular first team player next year. Would be great for us if we could have more youth players playing in the first team as it would save us money on wages most likely to be used elsewhere, attract more people because people are more interested if there's a homegrown connection and also potentially earn us some money when they're sold.

Seem both play for the Youth team - still think Payne is the real deal....

Payne was out on the pitch doing warm ups with the others, I think this is a good move. Get them involved in pre-match preparations so they become more used to the crowd.

Back