• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not getting promoted

In answer to the question "would it be such a bad thing", I think the answer is (alas) yes. One should always strike whilst the iron is hot, so to speak. We've been hotter this year than at any point over the previous decade.

Is there any guarantee that we will be as hot again next season? Is there any guarantee that (say) Fredy would want to stick around for another season in League Two?

I'm not sure I necessarily buy into the wisdom that League Two will be stronger next year, perhaps apart from Wrexham and Barnet, both of whom are good sides. Apart from that, I don't think any of the relegated sides are any great shakes compared with the Yeovils, Scunnys and Swanseas of this world. Perhaps of greater concern is that some of the sides currently in the division are definitely strengthening ahead of next season's campaign - e.g. Wycombe and Northampton in particular. I just hope that Tilly is similarly putting feelers out there for players who would strengthen the side - e.g. Bury's Colin Kazim-Richards, who I believe wants to move back south.

So, whilst the division may not be significantly tougher next year, there has to be a concern that we may be less well-equipped to deal with it, particularly if we fail to hang on to Fredy (who, incidentally, I think would stay if we went up).

So, would a failure to promote be a failure for the club? I'm afraid it would. After all, we've had an amazing season... and we would have sod all to show for it. We'd be back there, level with Chester and Rushden at the beginning of next season... and that would be gutting.

down.gif

Unfortunately, I've already resigned myself to that fate... I really can't see us going up now.

sad.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 13 2005,09:21)]e.g. Bury's Colin Kazim-Richards, who I believe wants to move back south.
I already hate the guy for missing a sitter against Swansea last week!!!

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 13 2005,09:21)]Unfortunately, I've already resigned myself to that fate... I really can't see us going up now.

sad.gif

Matt
Well thanks for cheering me up Matt on this crucial weekend.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ May 13 2005,09:38)]Well thanks for cheering me up Matt on this crucial weekend.
Of the few things in this world over which I have any influence at all, Southend's promotion campaign is not one of them.

tounge.gif

Alas, I'm just a bit of an Eeyore when it comes to these things. Right now the glass isn't even half-empty; instead, it's just got a few dregs at the bottom which need to be swilled out...

sad.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 13 2005,09:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 13 2005,09:21)]e.g. Bury's Colin Kazim-Richards, who I believe wants to move back south.
I already hate the guy for missing a sitter against Swansea last week!!!

mad.gif
CK-R is not responsible for our failure to promote last weekend, and you know it...

down.gif

I think there is too many of you who think that if we dont go up this year then we will next year.(we could well do but) If we dont go up a few of the better players might go and even if they stay we could just as easily be mid-table. Anyone can beat anyone else in this division - just look at our last 5 games. We need to take the chance now while we have it as it may not be there next season.

Good to see that post Matt. I was starting to think I was the only one who thought the league would be weaker next year. In fact, I think it could be a bit weaker.

Bristol Rovers and Wycombe for a start are teams I feel flatter to deceive. Sure they have their good results but Bristol seem rather similar to us under Newman a few years back with the obvious massive contrast in draw numbers. Great home record but poor away from home. Wycombe are the complete opposite in terms of home/away record. I think one of these may make the playoffs next year but that's it.

So the next comparison is to look at teams going down compared to teams going up. Yeovil have been one of the top teams in this division for some time and will do ok in L1. Swansea are too big for this league really and with the new stadium should also survive comfortably. Scunthorpe were something of a surprise package this year and who knows how they will fare. Next team, IMO, will be between Northampton and Lincoln if it's not us. Northampton have a very good bunch of players and with more cash outlays would definitely be one to avoid next year while Lincoln prove again and again that they are a very tricky proposition.

The four teams going down, I feel, can't match this. I've managed to see Stockport, Torquay and Peterborough this year and Torquay looked the best by some way. Bearing in mind player of the year Akinfenwa looks to be on his way along with long-serving influential midfielder Russell, they won't be near the same quality next year. Stockport and Peterborough seem to have off-field problems, very poor teams and a lack of funds to buy in replacements. Don't expect much from any of these. Of the relegated teams, Wrexham seem to have the best squad but with lingering doubts over the club's future existence, how many of the squad will want to be signed on for another year. Ugarte, surely, will be on his way after scoring so prolifically and still being relegated. Can't imagine the crop of talented Welsh youngsters will stick around much longer either. So, in my eyes, the teams that went up are better than those that came down.

As for the conference, I haven't watched nearly as much conference football as I'd have liked but I think the form of the conference teams in L2 this year has been very significant. In previous years, through the single relegation/promotion spot, the throughflow of good teams was choked and the conference started to improve in standard starting to look comparable to the third division. Teams that came up were consistently getting excellent finishes and frequently promotion. Since the 2up system was introduced, this has evened it out and the fact that Chester were so resounding last year yet only occupy 20th position with Shrewsbury close behind in 21st would suggest the standard no longer matches L2. I can't see Barnet + either of the playoff teams being any significant threat.

Obviously some teams will be a bit better and some a bit worse but really, I can't see the league getting stronger. I think it will be a lot weaker.

blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 13 2005,10:46)]Obviously some teams will be a bit better and some a bit worse but really, I can't see the league getting stronger.  I think it will be a lot weaker.
Yes, but if we don't hold onto Fredy - and I fear that we won't if we don't go up - then we'll be weaker too...

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 13 2005,10:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 13 2005,10:46)]Obviously some teams will be a bit better and some a bit worse but really, I can't see the league getting stronger. I think it will be a lot weaker.
Yes, but if we don't hold onto Fredy - and I fear that we won't if we don't go up - then we'll be weaker too...

sad.gif
Oh yeah, it's true that if we don't hold on to our key players we'll find it harder but Tilly and Brush seem to have a very good eye for talent. On top of that, our run was built on a superb defence and the strikers making chances at the other end to edge games. We were never winning 4/5-0 like the other top teams.

If we keep the defence and midfield roughly unchanged, we should be a strong proposition for anyone.

If we don't go up, the expectation for next season will be so high it could prove to be a millstone. Ok we got off to a bad start , but once we were moving up the table, almost unexpectedly, almost unnoticed, we were playing a very relaxed free flowing style of football which, with a little bit of fortune as well, got us to the top. Once the expectations rose, we froze !!
If we don't go up I can see some "supporters" moaing if we aren't walking away with the league....

I agreeand have stated in other posts that expectations are often a manager's nightmare.

However, on the plus side, I think that this sort of problem hit's teams that rely on their attacking game harder than teams like ourselves that are solid at the back first and foremost. The defence hasn't struggled this year and I think Tilson will strive to improve our variation in play whether we go up or not. Even recently, barring Oxford first half, we've defended well as a unit and it's the lack of goals at the other end, IMO, that's been our downfall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 13 2005,11:08)]
Oh yeah, it's true that if we don't hold on to our key players we'll find it harder but Tilly and Brush seem to have a very good eye for talent. On top of that, our run was built on a superb defence and the strikers making chances at the other end to edge games. We were never winning 4/5-0 like the other top teams.

If we keep the defence and midfield roughly unchanged, we should be a strong proposition for anyone.
A very good point. Don't want to take anything away from Freddy but the team hasn't revolved around him this season and his departure shouldn't necessarily signal doom and gloom for next season. If we don't go up I'd at least expect him to start next sason with us - of course if we're in the bottom 3 at the end of October he'd be looking to leave but we'd surely make a healthy profit on him wouldn't we?

The defence has remained solid for most of the season but in the last few games the front men haven't been holding the ball up and have given it away cheaply - as a result, our defence has been put under pressure almost continiously as the opposition have taken advantage of gaining possession so quickly and easily.

If i was the players, tilly and brush I would be dissapointed at not getting promoted after all the hard work theyve put in this season but as a fan I wouldnt be too upset however I feel we would all spend next season saying 'what if'

Couple of things:

1. To the guy that started this thread - you really want to go up now. Trust me. The hangover of both of our playoff losses lasted until the following Christmas, and I don't see Southend as being of any greater stature than, say, Orient or Mansfield of the recent teams who have lost and gone on to have shoddy seasons afterwards.

2. If you're going to lose, do it to Northampton. Not evenlosing in the LDV will prepare you for losing the playoff final.

3. Wicker Blue: (is that the Wicker in Sheffield, or is there a Wicker on the mudflats?) If you've found a way to wipe the smile off that %#~t Hearn's face then please share it with us, as we've been praying that it would happen for the last 9 years or so.

Best of luck,

JS.

ps. Sorry to be an Eeyore too, but my house of sticks just fell down.

pps. Orient have just released Harrison if you want a proper keeper to take over from that fat munchkin Flahaven lol lol
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ May 14 2005,00:25)]pps. Orient have just released Harrison if you want a proper keeper to take over from that fat munchkin Flahaven lol lol
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
Shut up, Jonny.

BTW Nice to see you back on here. It's been a while
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ May 14 2005,00:25)]1. To the guy that started this thread - you really want to go up now. Trust me. The hangover of both of our playoff losses lasted until the following Christmas, and I don't see Southend as being of any greater stature than, say, Orient or Mansfield of the recent teams who have lost and gone on to have shoddy seasons afterwards.
I'm not going to spout anything about our god-given right to be above Orient because we're a bigger club because football cares little for reputation.

However, I really feel that Tilson has brought a level of proffessionalism and positive appraisial that, perhaps, only Alexander offers in this division.

Sure, it'll be difficult picking ourselves up but complacency's never been a significant foe to us. If we pick up one win from our first three, of course, it'll be an improvement!!

I also feel that next year, should it come to it, if we play Orient without it a) being a game for the O's to go top and b) being a game so soon after Cardiff, I think we may well be able to refrain from own goals and.....well, steady yourself........

Get all three points.
Serious!

OK, I've been a supporter of SUFC for about 15 years now, remember the glory days of the 90's, top of div one on new years day after a thrashing of Newcastle, the return of Barry Fry with Birmingham, Stan Collymore, the mazy runs of Ricky Otto and the 30 yard screamer against Luton on the final day of one season that kept us up (can't remember the scorer). Over the last 2 years I have started to go to more and more games and would be pretty gutted if we didn't go up. However, a lot of the posts on here are saying that Freddy and Gower would be soon snapped up if we don't get promotion........yes, Freddy has scored 20 odd goals but do you really think he could make the step up, why was he shipped out of West Ham? Why was he dropped earlier in the season? Was it because he got 2 big for his boots, possible attitude problem? Watch any of the good strikers at a higher level, even the top ones in this Div, the ball comes to them and its killed dead, watch freddy and the ball is somewhere around his body, he never seems to have complete control of the ball - still scores goals though before anyone else says it. The games when he has come up against better defenders it just hasn't happened....luton anyone?
Now Mr Gower.....and those white boots...! Best player by a mile last season, this season it just hasn't happened for him, I reckon you can safely say that he'd be staying where he is.

Anyway, I don't mean to be harsh and here's to a good result tomorrow........fingers crossed!

Back