• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not getting promoted

tommytwoholes

I was thinking about this whole promotion thing and i have come to the conclussion that if we dont get promoted i wont be to disheartened. I mean we have come along a little faster than maybe we should have this season. It has been great make no mistake , but i think that Tilly would get us the title next year . With some quality signings i think the title could be ours next season. I really hope that we can somehow get out if this division via the playoffs , but i for one will not be shedding tears if it all goes the way of the pear against Northampton. It will be tough and either way i am already looking foward to next season before its even begun...

Agree, I will be as disappointed as anyone if we do not get promoted and believe we should have done it; but if worst comes to worst at least we can look forward to next season thinking about what we can achieve as opposed to are we going to get relegated which is where we were at the start of this season. My only wish is to wipe the smile off Barry Hearns face when either we do not play them at all next year or we play them and they are holdong up the table and we are 20 points clear, that would be class!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ May 12 2005,13:01)]I was thinking about this whole promotion thing and i have come to the conclussion that if we dont get promoted i wont be to disheartened. I mean we have come along a little faster than maybe we should have this season. It has been great make no mistake , but i think that Tilly would get us the title next year . With some quality signings i think the title could be ours next season. I really hope that we can somehow get out if this division via the playoffs , but i for one will not be shedding tears if it all goes the way of the pear against Northampton. It will be tough and either way i am already looking foward to next season before its even begun...
I am beginning to come around to this way of thinking T2H.
I mean we don't want to end up like Torquay did having only scraped promotion on the final day on GD & then getting relegated after only 1 year in L1 on the final day (again by GD).

Whether or not it's an in-built safety device against the huge disappointment of not going up but if we can keep the nucleus of the squad together, add better players in key positions & lure Tilly & Brush into signing better contracts (to deter any teams poaching them).

If we can hit L2 running next season (& not suffer any playoff/non-promotion hangovers) we surely must stand a good chance of automatics if not the championship in our centenary year!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ May 12 2005,13:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ May 12 2005,13:01)]I was thinking about this whole promotion thing and i have come to the conclussion that if we dont get promoted i wont be to disheartened. I mean we have come along a little faster than maybe we should have this season. It has been great make no mistake , but i think that Tilly would get us the title next year . With some quality signings i think the title could be ours next season. I really hope that we can somehow get out if this division via the playoffs , but i for one will not be shedding tears if it all goes the way of the pear against Northampton. It will be tough and either way i am already looking foward to next season before its even begun...
I am beginning to come around to this way of thinking T2H.
I mean we don't want to end up like Torquay did having only scraped promotion on the final day on GD & then getting relegated after only 1 year in L1 on the final day (again by GD).

Whether or not it's an in-built safety device against the huge disappointment of not going up but if we can keep the nucleus of the squad together, add better players in key positions & lure Tilly & Brush into signing better contracts (to deter any teams poaching them).

If we can hit L2 running next season (& not suffer any playoff/non-promotion hangovers) we surely must stand a good chance of automatics if not the championship in our centenary year!
With the relegated sides and the teams coming up from the conference L2 will be stronger next season than this.

I for would be most upset if we didnt go up after being in such a strong position in a such a weak league.

If you remember, it took Hartlepool 3 or 4 goes to get up but look at them now, established in that league and indeed looking to go into the championship

I will be gutted if we dont get out of this poxy division this year . We have a much better chance of attracting better players if we go up . We just need more bottle in the next 3 games , we have enough ability !

I would be devastated if we didn't go up, because you can't guarantee that next season we will be as good or better to get the same chance again. You often see teams have a good season but miss out on promotion, then the following season are back in mid-table obscurity. However, even though I wouldn't re-mortgage my house on this, I'm quite sure next season (if we are still in this division) we can repeat the same feat and get promoted.

[b said:
Controversial, but I have been thinking the same. However, I just worry that if we don't do it this season we may not have the same chance next.

It wouldnt be such a bad thing if we didnt get promoted?

I think bearing in mind the position we have been in, and the squad of players we have, it would be a total disaster if we didnt get promoted now.

Granted, we come along way in a short period of time, but that doesnt cut any ice with me now, if we are good enough to be up the top 3/4 of the season, then were good enough, end of.

I think to let this slip away now would weigh very heavily on the players next season, that would be two LDV finals and one promotion blown in the space of 12 months, and that kind of dissapointment would almost certainly lead to us not being a force next season.

In my eyes we have o do it this season, because if we dont, then next season will be a massive dissapointment.

I'd love to be optimistic about next year, but I think if we don't go up this year it could really be a huge setback for the club. If we stay in league 2 i think it's bye-bye Freddy, Gower and who knows who else.
Then what do we do? Wayne, Tes and Lawrie.....mid table mediocrity beckons again....

i would be gutted if we didn't go up
we have had such a magic season and it would a shame to walk away with nothing after being in top3 for so long and at a national final

i would be gutted.

you need a bunch of strong characters to come so close and have another similar season again.

it's easy to go into cruise mode thinking you can go undefeated for so many games without trying and that maybe what has happened now.

need to go up this season i think.

spinner, barrett, maher and bentley have some passion and use it to their advantage the others i not too sure about. oh and petts

As has been stated previously I think League 2 next season will be much tougher than this. I would expect stronger showings from the likes of Wycombe, Bristol Rovers, and dare I say it, Orie (no I daren't say it) next season. I suspect that Barnet, and if they come up Carlisle will be much stronger than Chester and Shrewsbury were this season. I would also expect that 3 of the 4 sides coming down will make a strong showing next season.

Our record over the last two seasons against teams from League 1 has been very good. The style of football played in the league above will suit or style. The attractiveness of League 1 to potential signings, to make us a stronger outfit goes without saying.

Basically, I think we need to get out of League 2 now. Pleeeeeaaaaaasssse.

in football, and life in general, opportunities come around so irregularly that not to go up could be a bad thing. the is the best chance we've had in years, and the players we could attract would be much better than in league two (neil harris) and a year against the likes of nottingham forest would be great for the club and at worst we could have a great experience and end up back where we are are.
granted, staying down wouldnt be the end of the world but i just feel we've got too close to not go up now

Yes it would be a huge setback both on and off the field, alot of people i know certainly have taken Southend seriously for the first time in years, actually shaken off the 2nd rate crap rep.

Now if we don't get promotion when we have had such a great season, the 'same old Southend' chants may be once again. So all those people who would be joining a club that would be going forward may think again. Now you may call these people Glory hunters, which ok they are but they put bums on seats and pay there money. Which means a bigger and better club and more money for Tilly.

If we get promoted there will be a huge buzz around the town. For the first time in 10 odd years Southend are going forward not back and i would expect to see more Season Tickets sold and more people turning up. Not to mention the fact we will be going to places like the City Ground, Ashton Gate and possibly Hillsborough.

There is no certainly that will we challenge for promotion next year either so yes it would be gutting and a big big setback.

I think it could be disastrous if we don't go up this season.

You have to take chances as and when they are presented to you. Imagine if we'd done that with goal scoring chances in the last few weeks. We wouldn't be where we are now... and the players would be off on their holidays.

rock.gif

It would be a massive blow if we were to stay in this division. Just look at some of the teams who have failed in the play offs of recent years. Orient and Mansfield have really struggled after their play off failures and I fear we may fall into this catergory.

I would be devastated if we were to blow it but it has been a fantastic season. A 4th placed finish and a appearance at Cardiff. Most teams would settle for this but we need to get out of the division.

Perhaps then as I seem to be in a minority on this issue, I'm just bracing myself for another fall after being inconsolable after Yeovil & gutted after Grimsby (as well as angry at 3rd parties!)

Whats worries me is if we don't go up then we could end up having a season long hangover next season and be nowhere near going up. It has happened to other clubs before. If we dont go up then Tilly and Brush will have a very hard job lifting the team for the start of next season.

I too would be gutted if we didnt go up.But how i look at it if we go up have we got what it takes to stay up im not to sure.if we stay in this div atleast we can bulid an even better team that will be more comfortable with div 1.

Back