• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nile Ranger

If I remember rightly, I think it was around the sanctions for being late / missing training etc - I think there was a feeling from some players who fell foul of the sanctions that he was being treated differently and that undermined the whole system - and morale in the squad - in the latter days of Phil Brown’s time here. Right at the start of our very difficult period as a club... Coincidence?

That is all from memory of reports at the time - but please anyone do correct me if I’ve misrepresented that or got my timeline a bit out.

From (a hazey) memory, you’re on the right path. The tipping point was when Ranger took - and missed - a crucial penalty against Gills(?) although it was meant to be Josh Wright taking it.

Why would sufc let someone train just to keep fit, who could potentially risk the squad of covid. Gotta be more to this story.
It's not unknown for a player to train with a club for fitness (usually local), but in the current situation as you say somewhat strange.

If we weren't so reliant on Aquaduck I'd say no thanks but we keep playing him, Sterling or Badship and being utterly toothless up front and Nile provides an infinitely better option on the pitch. So long as the deal is heavily weighted towards us and any hint of his old self coming back and he's gone.

I think Ranger has kept in contact with Ron. I think Ron has said you need to convince the manager so I think I heard Ranger had been in contact with MM about giving him a chance. Of course MM will have discussed it with Ron, but also i believe he discussed it with senior players.

MM will make the decision. Just as he did with Macca. Yes the player or agent may contact Ron. Ron might say so and so has been in contact - this is the history. But in the end MM makes the decision. He got it right on Macca. Hopefully he will do so again.

This is spot on.

He was hit and miss and he hasn't played in three years, no offence but there's no basis to your view today.
Four unbeaten, a young team starting to gel based on a work ethic and playing for the manager and the fans. Team spirit starting to build for the first time since about 2018.

So no, this is not the time for signing divisive players with a total lack of professionalism and work ethic.

Is he a better footballer than what we have? Very possibly even with three years(!) out of the pro game. But January is around the corner and there may well be much much better options out there.

If Spalding couldn’t make use of him and they play a league lower than Canvey and Grays what makes anyone think he would be an improvement of what we got.

He trains and is ****. Nothing lost.

He trains and is decent he may get a month to month contract and is not worth renewing then he's gone.

He trains and is excellent and has a month to month and does well. He plays well and helps the team. Earns longer contract.

Where does the club lose out?

Ball is firmly in our court and not in Rangers.

Mostly different personnel here now, I think Oxley and Demi were in the Simon Cox side of the dressing room. It's the young impressionable players where we'd have to be careful and I can imagine what would happen if he upset Macca!

I would be prepared to give him a month by month rolling contract if he can prove himself, and that is obviously a monumental "if".

Back