• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New energy tariffs time.

I keep getting emails from OVO asking me to consider to change to fixed tariffs but me being me doesn’t really understand it.
I am on a smart meter atm so only pay for what I use (plus standing charge of course) and I like that I can see what I use and I am also registered for the power up which gives me money back if I use less electric/ gas at certain times.
At the present I pay £120 pm for a 4 bed house which I think is pretty good but OVO has offered me £99 + Boiler cover which looks a good deal but is it?
What happens if I use more than that each money - am I left with a heavy bill at the end of the year contract?
Anyone with any insight into this can help me?
Thanks

I keep getting emails from OVO asking me to consider to change to fixed tariffs but me being me doesn’t really understand it.
I am on a smart meter atm so only pay for what I use (plus standing charge of course) and I like that I can see what I use and I am also registered for the power up which gives me money back if I use less electric/ gas at certain times.
At the present I pay £120 pm for a 4 bed house which I think is pretty good but OVO has offered me £99 + Boiler cover which looks a good deal but is it?
What happens if I use more than that each money - am I left with a heavy bill at the end of the year contract?
Anyone with any insight into this can help me?
Thanks
The £99 per month will be estimate, as is the £120 per month you're paying now (assuming it's a constant 120 per month not varying each month). What you need to check are the unit prices for gas and electric and the standing charges for each as well.

The other complication is if your current contract is variable rate - IE the unit prices can change over the course of the year - that can complicate the comparison.

And then if course how do you know OVO is the cheapest provider? You can use a comparison site - I suggest using money saving expert one, to check the whole market rather than just the alternative that has your email address.

As an aside if you pay say £99 per month but use £110 per month then yes you will end the year with a debt - or they may adjust your direct debit after say 6 months. The reverse can occur as well and they end up owing you.

Does that help?

The £99 per month will be estimate, as is the £120 per month you're paying now (assuming it's a constant 120 per month not varying each month). What you need to check are the unit prices for gas and electric and the standing charges for each as well.

The other complication is if your current contract is variable rate - IE the unit prices can change over the course of the year - that can complicate the comparison.

And then if course how do you know OVO is the cheapest provider? You can use a comparison site - I suggest using money saving expert one, to check the whole market rather than just the alternative that has your email address.

As an aside if you pay say £99 per month but use £110 per month then yes you will end the year with a debt - or they may adjust your direct debit after say 6 months. The reverse can occur as well and they end up owing you.

Does that help?
Hi,
Absolutely and have explained it to me really well
Thank you ever so

X

Back