• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Netherlands 1 - 2 England - UEFA Euro 2024 - Semi Final 10 July

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here's one for you guys and gals. Harry Kane, start him against Netherlands, or not? My own view is that he suits teams like Spurs and Bayern because they fed or feed him all the time. We are hardly making any chances for him, so he starts dropping back as he wants to be involved, then a breakaway happens by Saka for example, and the cross comes in, and Kane is still catching up and too far behind the ball. This set up and tactics does not suit Kane. He's hardly getting fed. He's also looking sluggish after a long hard season. I would start the faster more mobile Watkins, if not, then of course Toney. Kane can come on with 20 minutes to go.

There's definitely a strong argument for dropping Kane, but let's face it Southgate never would. He's just not getting into goalscoring positions enough. There was one moment in particular against Switzerland when Saka got to the byline and played the ball into exactly the right area, but Kane was pretty much on the edge of the box. He looks sluggish. As Jamie O'Hara said on Talksport, we don't need to keep him on for penalties anymore as we've got other good penalty takers in the side.

Toney has had an impact when he's come on in the last two games and has more of a physical presence than Kane. Watkins hasn't really been given a chance yet at the tournament so can't see him starting, but is another good option. Southgate wanted bigger squads of 26 but then there are several players who have had hardly any/no minutes so far. Netherlands have two centre-backs in their 30s so we need forwards who are going to run in behind.

Saying that, Kane has still scored two winning goals. It would be a risk dropping him but sometimes you need to take risks to win tournaments.

Last edited:
I'd start Watkins to run them ragged, then throw Kane on with 20 to go (and possible extra time). I would have liked to have seen Bowen, Eze, Palmer, Watkins, Gordon play a full game in the group stages, to give our best 11 a breather. But, as usual, we have to rely on our best 11 to scrape through the group and they're now worn out. The Guehi / Konsa decision is a tricky one. I think i'd go with Guehi. He's been great and will be fully rested. I think we look better with 3 at the back, as it gives us opportunity to play more of our attacking players.

I reckon this will be the game where the team comes of age and delivers a performance and a victory we will be proud of. There is no doubt that we have players just as good as any in this tournament and their opportunity to show everyone that is today. I genuinely believe we will win this and then go on to take the Euros 2024 Champions title.

1720590353485.png

You have the players but do you have the manager who can get the tactics, selections and subs spot on , hopefully we will see later today.

You have the players but do you have the manager who can get the tactics, selections and subs spot on , hopefully we will see later today.
I think he's getting there. It was a brave move to switch to 3-5-2 at the weekend. Something that he's not been renowned for at the moment. It'll be interesting to see whether he's brave enough to give Kane a rest for part of the game

Back