• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memorable opening day fixtures

Fingers crossed that 2018 - first game against Doncaster is going to be added to the list of memorable first game of the season fixtures.

With you on that one. We just need to ensure we keep in and around the top teams all season. No more playing catch up.

Yes, I'd go for the Blackburn match last season as one of the most memorable opening fixtures. What a performance, and what a strong team Phil Brown had assembled. After that excellent victory what could possibly go wrong...?
Great photo of that plane.
I flew ,with my mother on one of those from Southend airport to i think it was Ostend..then by coach to Italy.
My mother made sure(God bless her),that we returned intime for our first game of the season v Halifax.Town 68-69 season

Yes, I stood on the terraces at the Hall and saw several Carvairs pass overhead during some matches and none on others. Depended on the runway in use I suppose. Johnny McKinven flying down the wing, Aviation Traders flying overhead...... those were the days.

Those days and planes are gone of course - but the Mighty Shrimpers live on; COYB!!!

No. Doncaster will not go down as a memorable opening day fixture....

I remember that well, as I think it was our first ever season playing the majority of our home games on a Saturday. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

It certainly wasn't the first ever season where we played most of our home games on a Saturday, but you are right that our debut season in the second tier in 1991-92 marked a turning point away from Friday night games. It was, in fact, the first season since 1962-63 when we didn't play a single home match on a Friday.

The previous season we actually played more League games on a Tuesday (8) than we did on a Friday (7), with 6 being played on a Saturday, and the season before that we played 11 League games on a Friday, 9 on Saturday and 3 on a Tuesday.

The following season, 1992-93, which coincidentally is the last time we lost the opening match of the League season 3-2, saw us play just three times at home on a Friday night.

But how about that game in against Bristol City. 17th August 1991.

It was of course our first game in Division 2 and finished 1-1. Attendance of only 6,720 - that surely must be down to the summer holiholidays
That was the 'official' attendance.
Most of the Bristol City fans got in without paying (no advance tickets in those days) after breaking the gate down.
Also we had Vic Jobsons creative accounting with regards to attendances.

Today took me back to younger days and the 1980/1 first home game.
The previous season we had been relegated from div 3 and I was feeling totally deflated again .Turning up I wasn't expecting great things but like today we totally dominated and outplayed a Port Vale team 5 - 1 and the season came alive with the Spence and Mercer partnership .That season under Dave Smith was outstanding and broke records .Let's hope today is that turning point on and off the field and we can talk about this team the same way in years to come.

Back