• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matchday travel (2a) - Drivers and Parking

If parking became limited to due supporters/club growth and street restrictions, would you?

• Get the train

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Use other methods of travel/arrival

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Consider using JustPark to find a local space

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Consider using other apps to find a local space

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If parking became too troublesome then I am afraid that I would stop going. I just can't walk that far these days and having to walk from any of our train stations is quite beyond me. I have caught the bus in a few times this season when Kev has been coming along later, and found that relatively easy but wouldn't want to do it going home.
Parking will become more troublesome as the club advances, if measures aren't put into place before we get there. That's the reason it's all being reviewed now, that's good planning. One thing is for sure, your role is absolutely vital so can't imagine you would not have a space. The club just needs to issue a formal pass to you and gain tighter controls on those who are blagging their way in. I remember Wimbledon denying Roger Federer entry because he forgot his pass! I'm not saying we get that tight, but certainly need to improve control.

Parking will become more troublesome as the club adncevas, if measures aren't put into place before we get there. That's the reason it's all being reviewed now, that's good planning. One thing is for sure, your role is absolutely vital so can't imagine you would not have a space. The club just needs to issue a formal pass to you and gain tighter controls on those who are blagging their way in. I remember Wimbledon denying Roger Federer entry because he forgot his pass! I'm not saying we get that tight, but certainly need to improve control.
If we manage to go up a couple of divisions then small improvements, like parking closer, are not going to make any difference in the long run.

We need to be looking at permanent solution that can also make money for the club on non match days. A decent sized park and ride would sort this out and could also be used for markets/boot sales on non match days. Maybe the new owners should be looking for some unused land where this is possible.

Its been commented on that some form of park and ride system could be implemented but I'd imagine that would be quite expensive to run.

Perhaps with a consortium member who owns a few taxi companies could offer a match day minibus shuttle run but 2 or 3 taxis ferrying people 2 and from an agreed car park or 2.

If we manage to go up a couple of divisions then small improvements, like parking closer, are not going to make any difference in the long run.

We need to be looking at permanent solution that can also make money for the club on non match days. A decent sized park and ride would sort this out and could also be used for markets/boot sales on non match days. Maybe the new owners should be looking for some unused land where this is possible.
And if the current controlled scheme remains in place then I strongly recommend that only those who hold a current Car Park Permit should be allowed into the Club Car Park - COMMENTS?

I suspect a lot will also depend on who runs the Council. The current administration seem quite 'car friendly'; but even they might worry about a large increase in parking. Local residents almost certainly will. I wonder how full the City centre car parks are at 3pm on a Saturday?

You also have to take into account that cash strapped councils are increasing permit holders parking on roads, to rake in more cash, through permits and fines. It would be no surprise if within 5 years, all the roads near Roots Hall are permit parking. It's already been spreading across Southend and Westcliff.

IF SHSB aren't interested, why not talk to WHSB/WHSG? You could easily run shuttles along the Boulevard to Roots Hall.

And if the current controlled scheme remains in place then I strongly recommend that only those who hold a current Car Park Permit should be allowed into the Club Car Park - COMMENTS?
If we go up far it will be corporate types and hopefully those less able to use public transport or walk.

Train to westcliff if parking became unviable on the roads off of west and westborough for me.

Absolutely, and those parking the cars up should adopt the most efficient means to do so, not getting cars to reverse into spots but drive in. This would save time, seems a lot of people on hand now to park cars. I get the need to use the space efficiently.

No option for me but to drive 90 miles from Suffolk and find somewhere to park. I've been leaving home earlier recently and have been lucky to find a space close to the ground.

If push comes to shove I'd look at parking a little further afield and taking public transport to the ground.

Thanks all for participating in the Poll and adding some really useful comments. This has been passed onto the club (edited) and will be used for review. A valuable insight into some issues, which will help shape the future. Thanks again, much appreciated. UTB 👍

Back