• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maria Miller

They know the salary when they apply for the job.
Miller has a constituency in Basingstoke, a commuter town FFS!
Why did she, or our Essex MPs, need 2nd homes?
I can understand the remoter MPs position being different BUT making excuses for some of the inexcusable does not, IMO, move things forward & for the sake of democracy it MUST improve PDQ or radicalisation will gather support.

Even simpler -

Build a large halls of residence. It only need to be a few hundred rooms. It can be a crashpad with a 24/7 canteen for food, gym/pool, some meeting rooms, sex dungeon etc etc.

When parliament is in recess (something like 100 days! even teachers don't get that!!!) then the halls can be let out as a hotel or hostel or something.

Give them a tent, a sleeping bag and a broken bottle to defend themselves with. *****.

Even simpler -

Build a large halls of residence. It only need to be a few hundred rooms. It can be a crashpad with a 24/7 canteen for food, gym/pool, some meeting rooms, sex dungeon etc etc.

When parliament is in recess (something like 100 days! even teachers don't get that!!!) then the halls can be let out as a hotel or hostel or something.

I think this was looked into and deemed too dangerous. All those MPs in one place...

On Question Time there was the Miller topic, poor answers from her replacement toryboy, although, to my surprise Harriet Harmen spoke some sense; fair play to her for that as usually she just spouts party lines.
The overall impression was that politicians STILL do not understand the public perception and loathing of the all too low ethics and standards that STILL continue in the H of P.
Lastly the audience was very tame and a tad boring.

Thought Billy Bragg was excellent.

Heard Ken Livingstone on LBC this morning talking some plain common sense. His suggestion was to assign secretary and researchers to MP's but they are employed by Westminster, not the MP themselves. Once the MP goes or retires then the employee is reassigned to someone else. Also, he suggested that second homes are owned by Westminster and once again, assigned to non London MP's who give it back once they stop being an MP.

Made perfect sense to me.

Heard Ken Livingstone on LBC this morning talking some plain common sense. His suggestion was to assign secretary and researchers to MP's but they are employed by Westminster, not the MP themselves. Once the MP goes or retires then the employee is reassigned to someone else. Also, he suggested that second homes are owned by Westminster and once again, assigned to non London MP's who give it back once they stop being an MP.

Made perfect sense to me.

I can't remember which building it was but Livingstone wanted it converted into flats for MP's who have to have second homes for travelling issues etc. It was a good idea but one of the reasons for opposition was that having a large number of British MP's in one building at same time was a security risk (obviously hadn't heard of parliament !) like I say, it was a good idea.

In Las Vegas there are an estimated 100,000 living inside storm drains under the city,Why not let all MPs kip down the drains and they can meet their true fellows...Rats.

In Las Vegas there are an estimated 100,000 living inside storm drains under the city,Why not let all MPs kip down the drains and they can meet their true fellows...Rats.

I happen to actually know 2 MPs personally. One is Grant Shapps, the current tory party chairman. The other is, Luciana Berger, the shadow minister for public health. I can assure you neither of them are rats. Both of them are actually very nice genuine people who want to the best they can. I really think it is about time we stopped vilifying people we don't know.

As with Maria Miller, if they do something wrong, then by all means have a go. But let's not tar everyone with the same brush. Collective responsibility is a very rocky road.

I happen to actually know 2 MPs personally. One is Grant Shapps, the current tory party chairman. The other is, Luciana Berger, the shadow minister for public health. I can assure you neither of them are rats. Both of them are actually very nice genuine people who want to the best they can. I really think it is about time we stopped vilifying people we don't know.

As with Maria Miller, if they do something wrong, then by all means have a go. But let's not tar everyone with the same brush. Collective responsibility is a very rocky road.

Completely agree. In a general sense I think Tories are a health hazard but I don't revel in this or any other expenses scandal. MP's pay is a minefield. They get compared, quite rightly, with the average earner while genuinely dodgy professions (not just bankers) pay what they like and we STILL pick up the bill. Maria Miller's in the wrong, Cameron played it badly and there's a whiff of corruption in the air but it's dangerous to lump all politicians/public figures in together.

I don't care if you know every single MP in the house,They made their bed,It's their own making.

Do you have dinner with these 2 ?

You don't know 99.9% of the other MPs.

Back