• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Leon Constantine

In todays EE Leon is responding to criticism by people who have branded him a moneygrabber!

Sorry, Leon but whatever you say in the paper about your paltry £700 per week offer from SUFC you are still a gloryhunting moneygrabber!

Truth is though, I would be the same in his position!  
biggrin.gif

Oh can we forget about him now! it has been nearly a week. Surely we can think of something better to talk about.

Why dont we talk about the players who are actually staying!
biggrin.gif

£700 a week is £36400 a year. That is not paltry - lets face it Leon hasn't got the brains to earn a third of that outside football.

Good riddance to him - let's see how much he earns after he flops at Peterboro...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ May 26 2004,15:03)]£700 a week is £36400 a year. That is not paltry - lets face it Leon hasn't got the brains to earn a third of that outside football.

Good riddance to him - let's see how much he earns after he flops at Peterboro...
£36400 a year is not an incredible amount of money in this day and age especially in what is after all a short term career.

Only a small amount of professionals are able to progress into management, coaching, tv punditry and the like. The majority have to change careers completely. Lets remember this is 3rd division football not the premiership where the players futures are secure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nestudas @ May 26 2004,15:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ May 26 2004,15:03)]£700 a week is £36400 a year. That is not paltry - lets face it Leon hasn't got the brains to earn a third of that outside football.

£36400 a year is not an incredible amount of money in this day and age especially in what is after all a short term career.
It is when you're only 24/25 and the average wage for the UK is less than £25k.

Oh and that figure is over the top, as it takes into account all the big earners in the City. So there are people earning a LOT less. He should be grateful to be getting a wage in a career he enjoys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 26 2004,15:25)]
[b said:
[b said:

Oh and that figure is over the top, as it takes into account all the big earners in the City. So there are people earning a LOT less. He should be grateful to be getting a wage in a career he enjoys.
Also need to consider exactly how hard they work for that money!

4 Hours training Monday to Saturday and matchday travel and playing time.

Not a bad hourly rate when you think about it!
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 26 2004,15:25)]He should be grateful to be getting a wage in a career he enjoys.
Indeed, but you can understand him for being more grateful for getting more wages doing a job he enjoys...

rock.gif
wink.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 26 2004,15:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 26 2004,15:25)]He should be grateful to be getting a wage in a career he enjoys.
Indeed, but you can understand him for being more grateful for getting more wages doing a job he enjoys...

rock.gif

wink.gif

Matt
Yes, you can. And we'll all be very grateful for the pittance he picks up at East Thurrock United in 2 years time...

Everyone forgot to mention all the bonus' that come with him playing at posh, appearence, goal, win and promotion bonus' will no doubt increase that fee, not to mention a fairly large signinng on fee he probably recieved.

I'm really upset that Connie left us... really... really upset.

Why?

Coz we can't let ourselves forget about it and move on!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 26 2004,15:25)]
[b said:
[b said:

Maybe he is. Is it just possible that he is doing what you and I would do by safeguarding his future.

He is low paid in the context of his profession. It is possible that he earnt next to nothing before his contract with us. His salary is higher than the majority of people that watch him but so what, if anyone has a problem with it then they dont have to pay their money at the turnstile.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 26 2004,15:47)]I'm really upset that Connie left us... really... really upset.

Why?

Agreed. That would be nice OS but people cannot get to grip with the fact that he made a personal choice of what he perceives to be his best chance of maximising the benefit of his short term career in football.

It might be an idea moving all Constantine posts into ex-Shrimpers, that way we can find out any latest news without having to hunt through 20 Constantines.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nestudas @ May 26 2004,15:50)]. His salary is higher than the majority of people that watch him but so what, if anyone has a problem with it then they dont have to pay their money at the turnstile.
If only it were that easy.

sad.gif

If player's wages really related to spectator income then it might be a more balanced equation, but they're not. Sponsorship deals, TV money, etc, have falsely inflated the football economy to an unsustainable level. Clubs are going bankrupt left right and centre, not just in the UK but all across Europe. And yet players wages continue to rise...

I'm not blaming the players, but the mechanism of the football economy. Players aren't team players anymore but goods to be bought and sold. Brand appeal is pervasive. (cf Beckham, Owen)

And yet above all this is the relative price inelasticity of demand relating to football. Clubs pretty much have a free reign in all things financial, as fans generally are willing to stump up extra just to continue supporting the team.

So in a nutshell- he's replaceable. All players are.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 26 2004,16:02)]So in a nutshell- he's replaceable. All players are.

biggrin.gif
Absolutely right, lets replace him and move on. Theres plenty more one season wonders, ooops I mean Constantines, in the sea.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 26 2004,15:47)]I'm really upset that Connie left us... really... really upset.

Why?

Alright!  Alright!  It was my stupid fault as I started the thread!

All I was doing was reporting what the Echo said!

For christ's sake, have a go at me why don't ya!!!!

Told you that foreign to**er is victimising me!
wow.gif

Back