• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kightly Contract

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
Mike still hasn't been informed by the club whether or not he is to get a contract renewal for next season. He desperately wants a chance to prove himself and whilst Gower is not on form would like to be making some sub appearances rather than central midfielders coming on and limiting the width that we play with.

He is unhappy about the injuries this season and has been working hard to get in. He says he doesn't feel disillusioned simply because the team are playing very well at the minute but understands that he doesn't have very long at all to prove a point to the manager and there is only so much he can do in the reserves which is just not the same.

Again, he was at Cardiff this year but had no involvement and he enjoyed the experience but it is very tough for a professional to not be out there and contributing to the team.

I've told Mike that natural wide players aren't the most easily found crop about and I think that he deserves a chance after helping to take us to the LDV last year he showed he can mix it at this standard.

I just wondered what everyone's thoughts on Michael and a new contract...??

Does he deserve 1?
Has he earnt it?
What does he add to the team?
Would it really affect us?

In terms of the club's finances and position I would say offer a rolling contract but then it doesn't do much for his motivation. Although saying that he could work extra hard to earn a full contract.

Your thoughts?

S4E

Does he deserve 1? Yes, but a monthly rolling contract, as he hasn't had a chance to prove himself. He surely cant do any worse than Gower at the moment.

Has he earnt it? Who knows, what games has he featured in this season?

What does he add to the team? Pace and quick thinking, and the willingness to go forward.

Would it really affect us? Not sure? I feel Kights is a good squad player, but to be honest i cant see Tilly renewing his contract at the end of the season which is a shame as he's still young and has plenty of ability.

Good to give youth a chance and all that but realisticly,he is not going to get in the side in front of kev,bents, petts gower?If jay is fit for next season and we offer him a contract I cant really see him getting a run out, however i think he could become a very good player.

If Tilson is playing players out of position rather than playing Kightly then it doesn't look good for him, does it?

I would get rid of him and use the freed up wages to bring in someone who can do the job 'straight out of the box' so to speak.

I trust Tilson's judgement whatever he decides to do but just because player x was a top bloke when you met him down Talk/Churchills/Brockets it doesn't mean he is a good player.

I think the writing was on the wall for Kightly long ago with him being loaned out to Farnbro'. What with us signing Gutteridge as well I think Kights will be out the door.

personally i wouldnt offer him a new contract. next season hopefully we will be playing in league 1. a far tougher place for all our players, and i would prefer to see some faces come in who have experiance of that league

Agree with Kenny. For me, Guttridge in = Kightly out.

Difficult for him because he's never had the run in the team that he may have got in previous years because we've been on a hot streak. To be honest, he needed to make more of an impact when coming on as sub in the past. Instead, IMO, he's looked promising but not ready to go in the first team.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ April 12 2005,14:40)]it is a shame, he gets on well with the team. young player, a potential career i hope it works out for him.
I felt the writing was on the wall for him when his sidekick (Drewenaldo) went.

In my eyes, his been the best of a very bad bunch that have come through our youth team in recent years. To be honest, that doesn't say a lot for him. He looked like he had the potential but his very lightweight which doesn't help at this level of football.

Possibly, if we don't go up he might be given a year to build himself up and really push for a place, seeing as his been unlucky with injuries but if we go up Kightly will be off.

Who cares about his potential my daughter (Stan!) will be devastated if he goes...............she only goes to the football for a possible sighting of Michael!!!    
rock.gif

I've got a female mate who keeps having a go at me to take her to the games to watch Kightly.

I feel if we go up (FINGERS CROSSED) then he'll be off - as good as he is, I don't think he is League One standard.

cudnt reli seeing tilly playing both guttridge and smith cos of the lack of height

An unofficial source says that one of Michael's alledged chat up lines is I'm on Championship Manager.........ah how can you resist

I think Kightly deserves a new contract. Tilson hasn't given him enough first team chances. OK he's not good enough yet to play for the first team regularly in League One but he's scored loads of goals for the reserves and he's a good player to have on the bench and bring on. He likes to take on people and he can beat them aswell which can't be said for many of our other players. He's a very positive player with lots of talent and he seems like a very nice lad too. I say get rid of Smith and Corbett and keep Kightly.

Back