• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Gallen

Just heard from a very reliable mate who claims he is on the his way down here on loan.We contacted Luton last night and he is speaking to Tilly today.

Tbh would prefer to play Ademeno or even Chunky Scannell ahead of an old loanee.

Absolutely. Poor old Charles - surely now is the time to give him a go. He came on in the cup v Telford and looked really lively yet was soon farmed off on loan himself. Scannell also deserves a chance ahead of an old, injury prone striker like Gallen.

As I said, if they want another old player whose best days are behind him, get Furlong back from Barnet. He offers as much, if not more than Gallen I feel.

If this is true could someone please pop down to Rayleigh Weir and deploy a stinger across the A127 to stop him making it to the hall

An old, league 2 striker who isn't that good is the solution to our problems, great

Seems to me like we're trying to get through one, maybe two games. I don't know if he's past it or not, but he seems the right "type of player" to act as a foil to Theo.

Time will tell I guess...

The review on Wikipedia paints him in a fairly positive light (probably written by his mum though).

wikipedia said:
Kevin Andrew Gallen (born September 21, 1975 in Chiswick) is an English professional footballer who plays for Luton Town.
Gallen is a former England U21 striker who signed professional for Queens Park Rangers on his 17th birthday after setting phenomenal scoring records for the Youth Team. Kevin scored 153 goals in 110 appearances, breaking Jimmy Greaves' long-standing record at that level.
He made his League debut at Old Trafford on the opening day of the 1994-95 season and later went on to form a partnership with Les Ferdinand scoring more than ten goals that season. Gallen's form dipped after Ferdinand departed and he scored very few goals.
After some good early season form, Gallen sustained a serious knee injury whilst scoring the winning goal against Portsmouth in 1996 which resulted in him missing the rest of the 1996-97 season.
His return to the team saw many mixed performances but by the 1998-99 season he was back to his best form, before injuries again held him back and the arrival of Rob Steiner and Chris Kiwomya kept him out of the team.
The 1999-00 saw Gallen behind Kiwomya, Steiner, Slade and Beck in the pecking order. He did, however, manage to score a winning goal on the last day of the season at the ground where his injury troubles had started, Portsmouth. In summer 2000 he left to find first team football at Huddersfield Town. Gallen soon found himself out in the cold again as Huddersfield changed managers and his return to Loftus Road saw him score but then miss a penalty.
He spent the summer of 2001 training with QPR with a view to joining on a free transfer but wages were a problem and he ended up joining Barnsley. That too proved to be a short term deal and Gallen rejoined QPR on November 19 2001. Two days after returning to his boyhood club he scored one and set up another in an empahatic 4-0 home win over Swindon.
A change in fortunes soon followed for Gallen and QPR, with Gallen earning the club captaincy, netting another 55 goals over the ensuing 5 seasons and helping the club to establish itself back in the second tier of English football. Gallen scored 97 goals for QPR, making him the sixth highest scorer in the club's history.
On January 11, 2007 Gallen linked up again with Ian Holloway, joining Plymouth Argyle on loan until the end of 2006-07 season[1] He was released by QPR at the end of the season. He was offered a contract by Plymouth Argyle, but instead opted to join a lower-level club - Milton Keynes Dons - as he would be more likely to get first-team football. Gallen played 24 games and scored 8 goals as MK Dons won promotion to League 1.
On the 14th November 2008, Gallen joined Luton Town on an initial 1 month loan, which was later extended by another month. Gallen's run in the first team at Luton coincided with a seven match unbeaten run for The Hatters, with his link-up play proving particularly impressive. At the beginning of January, Gallen had his contract at MK Dons terminated by mutual consent, and he signed for Luton on a free transfer on 13 January 2009

Absolutely. Poor old Charles - surely now is the time to give him a go. He came on in the cup v Telford and looked really lively yet was soon farmed off on loan himself. Scannell also deserves a chance ahead of an old, injury prone striker like Gallen.

As I said, if they want another old player whose best days are behind him, get Furlong back from Barnet. He offers as much, if not more than Gallen I feel.
Ademeno has looked half-decent when on the left but for me he is too lightweight to play up front. When he came on up front against Oldham he was constantly knocked off the ball. I know that was only one brief appearance but he looked out of his depth, in my opinion.

Can't agree with you on Scannell either. He's looked totally lost up front whenever he has played there.

Bringing Furlong back would certainly be an option and it's one I suggested a couple of days ago. To be honest I haven't seen Gallen play for ages so I'm not sure whether he'd be a decent acquisition or not. I guess it's only a short-term fix anyway.

I don't know if the Gallen rumour is true or not, but if it is why don't the negative posters on here do something radical and give the bloke a chance.

I don't know if the Gallen rumour is true or not, but if it is why don't the negative posters on here do something radical and give the bloke a chance.

what when they can spend hours bitching and going round in circles arguing with each other!!! I think you can keep your positive ideas to yourself !!!!;)

:net:

Ademeno is currently on loan at Salisbury, so we would have recall him from that.

Well we should, if he is good enough forSalisbury and looked ok against non league Telford sounds just like the sort of player we need. :)

No idea whether Gallen will do much for us but as Hank says a bit of experience for a couple of games wont hurt.

Well we should, if he is good enough forSalisbury and looked ok against non league Telford sounds just like the sort of player we need. :)

No idea whether Gallen will do much for us but as Hank says a bit of experience for a couple of games wont hurt.

Just think that in the long term if Charles is deemed good enough to be a pro at our club, giving him a couple of games to show his worth might be far better than bringing in yet another senior citizen loanee, who will only be here five minutes and let's face it, cannot get a game at a club who is bottom of the league below ours.

Ademeno has done ok in the few chance that he's had but I think I'd prefer to see Furlong recalled if anyone.

That said I'm not convinced of the need to recall anyone as Scannell and Betsy can both play up front if needed.

Ademeno has done ok in the few chance that he's had but I think I'd prefer to see Furlong recalled if anyone.

That said I'm not convinced of the need to recall anyone as Scannell and Betsy can both play up front if needed.

As can Franno and Peter Clarke! If no-one's brought in in time I probably think along the same lines as you though, that it'll be Betsy out of those.

We're only talking about one match. Scannell and Betsy have both played upfront for us already and can fill in whilst Barnard is suspended.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back