• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kev is named Manager of the Season by NL sponsors Vanarama.

Surely, there could not be a more deserving man of this award in the history of manager of the year awards than King Kev?

Firstly, Paul Cook at Chesterfield has done a great job, and in a normal season, I’m sure he would have won it and there couldn’t have been any complaints, but this hasn’t been a normal season. From the outside looking in, and not knowing our story, Maher does look an odd choice as manager of the season, so can understand the criticism from some.

King Kev is correct in what he says. Although it is an individual award, it is for the collective. Kev is big on making sure those than deserve credit get it and he doesn’t hog the limelight when things go well. He’d be the one fronting up when things go bad too.

Kev has got above and beyond what a manager needs to do at a football club. Marc White, at Dorking, doesn’t have the qualifications to be a football league manager, as he doesn’t rate the courses etc. Well, what Kev has done this season he wouldn’t have learned on any course. No FA/UEFA qualification could have prepared Kev for what this season has entailed.

I won’t go into all of the challenges he, and us have faced. It’s been well documented, but not everything has been put out in public. He really should write a book on this season. What has been made public knowledge has only scratched the surface of what this club has faced.

I’ve mentioned before, but King Kev, the other two amigos and TL have all dipped there hand into their pocket for things they really shouldn’t have too. They’ve helped other staff out with money, they’ve paid coach companies, catering companies, security to get games on, hiring of equipment, accommodation, bills and so forth.

Then the state of boots and laces. Not running water or electricity at times. Playing surfaces not fit to train on. Having no medical back up. A **** poor pre-season, limited footballs and so on.

That is all off the pitch before he can even concentrate on a Saturday at 3pm. Again, it’s all well documented, but 1 sub, outfield player in goal, didn’t fill a bench until gone Christmas time, players playing when not fit or 100% fit, transfer embargo, players not being paid, 10 point deductions, a takeover saga and so on.

I actually don’t think Kev gets the credit he deserves at times. When we all leave our jobs at the end of the day, or for the week, 99% of us won’t think about it until we are next in. Football management is almost a 24/7 thing, but the Southend United job is. You can bet than Kev, Benno & Daz just haven’t been able to switch off at all, and most of their worries haven’t been who will partner Cards upfront, or the oppositions goal getter, but whether the game will be on, how they will pay bills, who will be available tomorrow, will the NL let me bring in a replacement.

Kev walking through the door again at this club, accompanied by Benno & Daz is one of the best things to have happened to this club, probably since PB’s promotion to League One.

I can’t wait until they are given the tools to truly turn us into a force again. Be given the tools to strengthen as and when they see fit. Be given the tools and a chance at a level playing field. I don’t want this thread to turn into again about the takeover or RM, but once that is resolved, watch us fly.

Last edited:
Surely, there could not be a more deserving man of this award in the history of manager of the year awards than King Kev?

Firstly, Paul Cook at Chesterfield has done a great job, and in a normal season, I’m sure he would have won it and there couldn’t have been any complaints, but this hasn’t been a normal season. From the outside looking in, and not knowing our story, Maher does look an odd choice as manager of the season, so can understand the criticism from some.

King Kev is correct in what he says. Although it is an individual award, it is for the collective. Kev is big on making sure those than deserve credit get it and he doesn’t hog the limelight when things go well. He’d be the one fronting up when things go bad too.

Kev has got above and beyond what a manager needs to do at a football club. Marc White, at Dorking, doesn’t have the qualifications to be a football league manager, as he doesn’t rate the courses etc. Well, what Kev has done this season he wouldn’t have learned on any course. No FA/UEFA qualification could have prepared Kev for what this season has entailed.

I won’t go into all of the challenges he, and us have faced. It’s been well documented, but not everything has been put out in public. He really should write a book on this season. What has been made public knowledge has only scratched the surface of what this club has faced.

I’ve mentioned before, but King Kev, the other two amigos and TL have all dipped there hand into their pocket for things they really shouldn’t have too. They’ve helped other staff out with money, they’ve paid coach companies, catering companies, security to get games on, hiring of equipment, accommodation, bills and so forth.

Then the state of boots and laces. Not running water or electricity at times. Playing surfaces not fit to train on. Having no medical back up. A **** poor pre-season, limited footballs and so on.

That is all off the pitch before he can even concentrate on a Saturday at 3pm. Again, it’s all well documented, but 1 sub, outfield player in goal, didn’t fill a bench until gone Christmas time, players playing when not fit or 100% fit, transfer embargo, players not being paid, 10 point deductions, a takeover saga and so on.

I actually don’t think Kev gets the credit he deserves at times. When we all leave our jobs at the end of the day, or for the week, 99% of us won’t think about it until we are next in. Football management is almost a 24/7 thing, but the Southend United job is. You can bet than Kev, Benno & Daz just haven’t been able to switch off at all, and most of their worries haven’t been who will partner Cards upfront, or the oppositions goal getter, but whether the game will be on, how they will pay bills, who will be available tomorrow, will the NL let me bring in a replacement.

Kev walking through the door again at this club, accompanied by Benno & Daz is one of the best things to have happened to this club, probably since PB’s promotion to League One.

I can’t wait until they are given the tools to truly turn us into a force again. Be given the tools to strengthen as and when they see fit. Be given the tools and a chance at a level playing field. I don’t want this thread to turn into again about the takeover or RM, but once that is resolved, watch us fly.

Fair to say the award is for the whole club, including us fans.

he should send that post to Gary Roberts, maybe he'll have a rethink about posting stupid tweets
You will always get that sort of response from the aggrieved and they are best ignored completely. Basically, who cares what he thinks, it went to Kev, and rightly so.

he should send that post to Gary Roberts, maybe he'll have a rethink about posting stupid tweets

To be fair, as I touched on, if you are on the outside looking in and don’t know about our situation it’s an odd decision to award it to a manager of a side who finished 9th instead of a side who won the league by 12 points and would have been more if they weren’t on the **** from the minute they won the league…

Back