• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jon Benton

Delighted for Bents, he never wanted to leave. Saw him on Saturday and he was happy to be playing. Really enjoyed his time at Averley but can definitely reach a better level. Such a great lad.

A goalscoring midfielder which we could certainly use, the only downside is that Jon looked on the small side and we have got a lot of similar players. Good luck to him, will be interesting to see how he progresses.

This one stings a lot. An embargo, which for me should only stop you signing new players, prevents us from offering a contract to a young player who had been with the club since a very young age and he ends up at a rival in the same division. How is that fair on the fans, the player and actually how is that a just punishment?

Good luck to him at Solihull (from tomorrow onwards) but would have loved him to be pulling on the blue shirt today.

It is announced on their official website.

Bad timing or what?

Apparently he’s only joined them on loan—18 months—so if he does manage to improve his all round game,to match his shooting from distance!—we could probably get him back,then.

A TRIO of runners are preparing for their first ever London Marathon in memory of a much missed friend.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
Some things really shouldn't be behind a pay wall.

A QUARTET of runners are preparing for their first ever London Marathon in memory of a much missed friend and family member.

Edward Benton passed away at the age of 21 last month.

And his close pals Callum Howlett, Charlie Owens and Lloyd Bellis, are now getting ready to run 26.2 miles across the capital, along with Edward's cousin Josh Spearpoint, to raise money for the Meningitis Research Foundation.

“Charlie text me and asked if I wanted to do a marathon in the next year or two in memory of Ed,” explained Lloyd.

“I can't do London next year because I’m away travelling, so I was thinking this year would be perfect if we can find the space."

“I emailed Great Ormond Street Hospital, who massively helped Ed and the Meningitis Research Foundation, as that’s what Ed was diagnosed with at 13 months.

“Great Ormond had a big waiting list but the Meningitis Research Foundation had space from people dropping out so we could do it which is amazing.

“We haven’t got long to train but we’re all quite fit and it’s something great to keep our minds focused on in memory of Ed.”

Edward, who is the brother of former Southend United midfielder Jon, was diagnosed with meningitis at just 13 months old.

He went on to have more than 35 operations in 18 years but always found ways to make those around him smile.

“Ed was hilarious, he was relentless with jokes and lit up every room he walked into,” said Lloyd, 21.

“He just loved to make people laugh and smile.

“Despite the relentless challenges he faced, Ed stayed positive and kept all those around him smiling and laughing.

“I would have loved to experience more of life with Ed but I feel truly blessed for the time I was given with him, and I will carry the lessons he taught me for the rest of my life.

“I will make sure to carry Ed's memory in every stride along the way of the marathon too.”

The runners have already raised close to £6,500 for the Meningitis Research Foundation.

And Lloyd is keen to raise as much as he can for his friend he met on the first day of school at Belfairs.

“I knew him since Year 7,” said Lloyd.

“The first lesson I sat in I sat next to him and we’ve been best mates ever since.

“Charlie went to junior school with him and Cal’s quite a recent friend.

“It was probably two or three years ago they met and became so close.

“It just shows the impact Ed has on people that he could build close relationships in a short period of time.

“Going out now you really miss his presence, but he’d find it funny we’re all putting ourselves through the marathon.

“We’ll make sure we do it for him.”

The London Marathon takes place on Sunday April 21 and sponsorship pages have been set up for all of the runners,

Sponsor Lloyd here, Callum here, Charlie here and Josh here

Back