• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

John Still. The Unsung Hero

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
Just thought it would be nice to have a thread that pays homage to our John Still

I think many (not all) underestimate the contribution he has made identifying signings for us.
Not to mention the fact he has stayed with us under an embargo for over a year where a lesser person would have switched clubs where they can see their scouting talents acutely sign and make an impact.

John thank you for your continued work and having met you a couple of times I must say what an all round lovely bloke

IMG_0117.jpeg

Just thought it would be nice to have a thread that pays homage to our John Still

I think many (not all) underestimate the contribution he has made identifying signings for us.
Not to mention the fact he has stayed with us under an embargo for over a year where a lesser person would have switched clubs where they can see their scouting talents acutely sign and make an impact.

John thank you for your continued work and having met you a couple of times I must say what an all round lovely bloke

View attachment 32705
Wonderful man is John and what he doesn't know about football especially in the non-league scene isn't worth knowing.👍 For all the younger fans on here John actually played against us at Roots Hall for Dagenham in the F.A.Cup back in December 1970 when they were beaten rather unluckily 1-0 with a goal from the wonderful Billy Best.🦐💙⚽

Wonderful man is John and what he doesn't know about football especially in the non-league scene isn't worth knowing.👍 For all the younger fans on here John actually played against us at Roots Hall for Dagenham in the F.A.Cup back in December 1970 when they were beaten rather unluckily 1-0 with a goal from the wonderful Billy Best.🦐💙⚽
A friend of my dads from his time at Woodford town, Tony Bass , played in that game too . A decent Non league striker in his day

Who needs a scouting TEAM when we have John Still? An amazing eye for lower league talent.

Instead of signing crocked veterans, we're now signing hungry young players that we can hopefully sell on for a few quid, if we're smart, we'll put sell on clauses in too. Didn't Maidenhead just get a massive chunk of change from Kilman moving from Wolves to West Ham?

We have to get over ourselves and embrace that we are a selling club, these players can do well for us and hopefully move up the pyramid and become good EFL pros!

Who needs a scouting TEAM when we have John Still? An amazing eye for lower league talent.

Instead of signing crocked veterans, we're now signing hungry young players that we can hopefully sell on for a few quid, if we're smart, we'll put sell on clauses in too. Didn't Maidenhead just get a massive chunk of change from Kilman moving from Wolves to West Ham?

We have to get over ourselves and embrace that we are a selling club, these players can do well for us and hopefully move up the pyramid and become good EFL pros!
Indeed any player we sign who has been given the John Still approval is good enough for me

I believe he holds the record as a manger for the most sides he has got promoted from non league into the league.
I wager most of them promotions would have been down to John himself sporting and signing the talent himself!

Sorry, but if anyone undervalues the work John has done at this football club, something is seriously wrong.

John, I’d say, if one of our most valueable assets. Yes, he won’t be sold for a six/seven figure fee like a player, his decisions on the field won’t win us promotion/get us play-offs/mastermind giant killing like a manager, and he won’t have us as a well drilled side like a coach, but all of the stuff we go onto achieve as a football club, John Still plays a significant role.

Just focusing on Kev’s spell in charge here, but since he walked through the door we had a losing mentality, a group of players who feared playing at Roots Hall, transfer embargoes, WUP’s, unpaid wages, suppliers threatening court action (and some following through), a shambles of a training ground etc etc. 95% of footballers would be on the phone to their agents to get themselves a new club, like Lopata did. The fact the majority didn’t is because of their characters, which John Still (and the three amigos) search for in players, not just their ability on a football pitch.

John Still, and his army (and it is an army in terms of numbers) watch pretty much every game of football you can imagine, even down to grassroots kids football and up to top flight matches.

There isn’t a player out there, at any age category, that JS isn’t aware of. It always makes me laugh when someone on here says about a forward who scored 74839 goals 12 divisions below us and says I wonder if we know about him. JS already does, and already knows agents etc.

He is the font of all football knowledge, and a fantastic man to boot. You won’t find anyone with a bad word said about him.

In fact, Kev has jokingly told him before to stop mentioning players and their potential as it’s too much. He doesn’t leave any stone unturned.

I’d love to sit down and watch a game with him, or even have a cuppa tea and biscuit and listen to him talk football. I think that should be a prize on offer in a raffle or an auction or something. That would be priceless in my eyes.

Sorry, but if anyone undervalues the work John has done at this football club, something is seriously wrong.

John, I’d say, if one of our most valueable assets. Yes, he won’t be sold for a six/seven figure fee like a player, his decisions on the field won’t win us promotion/get us play-offs/mastermind giant killing like a manager, and he won’t have us as a well drilled side like a coach, but all of the stuff we go onto achieve as a football club, John Still plays a significant role.

Just focusing on Kev’s spell in charge here, but since he walked through the door we had a losing mentality, a group of players who feared playing at Roots Hall, transfer embargoes, WUP’s, unpaid wages, suppliers threatening court action (and some following through), a shambles of a training ground etc etc. 95% of footballers would be on the phone to their agents to get themselves a new club, like Lopata did. The fact the majority didn’t is because of their characters, which John Still (and the three amigos) search for in players, not just their ability on a football pitch.

John Still, and his army (and it is an army in terms of numbers) watch pretty much every game of football you can imagine, even down to grassroots kids football and up to top flight matches.

There isn’t a player out there, at any age category, that JS isn’t aware of. It always makes me laugh when someone on here says about a forward who scored 74839 goals 12 divisions below us and says I wonder if we know about him. JS already does, and already knows agents etc.

He is the font of all football knowledge, and a fantastic man to boot. You won’t find anyone with a bad word said about him.

In fact, Kev has jokingly told him before to stop mentioning players and their potential as it’s too much. He doesn’t leave any stone unturned.

I’d love to sit down and watch a game with him, or even have a cuppa tea and biscuit and listen to him talk football. I think that should be a prize on offer in a raffle or an auction or something. That would be priceless in my eyes.
Are we running significant key man risk? Or amongst his army of scouts is there a number 2 that can step up if needed?

Sir I could not have written a better post myself! You should have started the thread 😂

Totally agree but rather a beer with him than tea and biscuits 🍪

IT A good picture of john still along with a smiling Justin john is the main man for finding rough dimonds .That fit well in our squad .

Back