• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Is it just about the Football?

I watched my 1st game in 1963 against Bristol City finished 1 - 1. Supported the Club from that day on. There have been years where I haven't been able to go many games. I moved to Suffolk 6 and a half years ago, so my other half could be much nearer her sister. Having lived in Thundersley for most of my life it was a bit of a wrench. Mind I don't regret living in the country, 8 miles from Stowmarket and 11 miles from Diss.

Haven't missed many Home games and a near 150 mile round trip to Roots Hall is more than worth it. I enjoy the company of the people I sit with (1 exception) and I just want to see the Club survive then thrive. Many supporters expectations are unrealistic. Many say the League is weaker than for many years. I disagree there may not be a Wrexham or Chesterfield, but there are no easy games. We made Boston look ordinary, but a week later, they went and won at York.

There are over 20 years of gross mismanagement to correct. People should remember that up until mid July, we were still under a Transfer Embargo, we still had the threat of having to pay a £1 million deposit to the League, we had no Safety Certificate for Roots Hall. Only obtained 48 hours or so before our first match. Plus a multitude of problems with a Stadium that wasn't and still isn't fit for purpose in many areas.

Roots Hall and Shrimperzone can become very toxic places, very quickly after a defeat. Just wish some would get real and look beyond this season and the bigger picture. Now is the wrong time to make wholesale changes and bring new players in. Moncur and Bonne were all that were available in positions we needed to cover and that hasn't turned out well.

Along with many others I went to the Cliffs in January and so far, all I can see is COSU working towards what they said would happen. Shock, horror it didn't all happen overnight !

We have the right owners, the right football management team, so in a nutshell we are lucky to have them. Support them !
Ditto all of the above

Define entertainment?. If its a bunch of overpaid millionaires diving, cheating and generally being shocking role models for the worlds children in the so called best league in the world then that's not for me at all.

If your entertainment is a last minute scramble goal away to Hartlepool on a Tuesday night surrounded by your mates then that is what I call entertainment and for all its faults (god there are so many at our beloved club).

Speaking of mates, 80% of mine are in some way connected to playing and watching football (Southend and the England away scene in my younger years) and I have had some of the best days of my entire life travelling all over England and abroad with them.

How else would you know the distance to Rotherham by train, where to change when going to Lincoln and the best nightlife close to Carlisle if it wasn't for the football scene?.

Players come and go, 95% of them don't really care for the club or have any proper connection but the club itself, the stories, friendships made and a street wise type awareness is worth its weight in gold to me and something that means so much, just behind or like a 2nd family if I am honest.

Explaining the love for a football club to an outsider, 99% of women and those patronising rugby fans is a waste of time because unless you are a part of it you'll never truly understand the culture of football.

" Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." - Bill Shankly.
Totally get it, we've walked the same path fellow Shrimper 🤝

Theres something about being the underdog, the ups n downs, the hope.

All the euphoria from say the freddy era just becomes magical given all the lean times.

Must be so boring supporting a team that never really wins anything, but also dont really go down either.

Like life there are ups and downs every season is different.

Just keeping it real (for want of a better phrase). Southend born n bred. Genuinely dont understand supporting a team that isnt your home team. I dont know many other fans in real life, but theres a kinship.

When we score. Up there with the best natural highs.

Walking up the steps at the hall and seeing the pitch, roots halls an old dog, but its my old dog.

And most importantly the link to the past with my dad on a saturday, no matter what else was going on in life, and looking forward to taking my boy when hes old enough.

For every Shay there’s a Gigg Lane.

For every Victoria Park there’s the Liberty Stadium

For every Brunton Park there’s the Millenium Stadium

For every Recreation Ground there’s Wembley

For every abject home defeat there’s a memorable home victory.

For well over 50 years I’ve been a fan. Exile status limits my attendance but my hairs still stand on end when the players walk out at Roots Hall in exactly the same way they did in 1973.

Proud to say I’ve not missed a game where we achieved promotion home or away in all that time.

Back