• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A bit harsh maybe, but when Brown goes I think all of the backroom staff should go (bar maybe Kev). The others are tainted with the current malaise - it's not just Brown.

Now, that's a topic for some proper discussion - over to you.

A bit harsh maybe, but when Brown goes I think all of the backroom staff should go (bar maybe Kev). The others are tainted with the current malaise - it's not just Brown.

Harsh on Coughlan as he's been a great servant to this club, but I agree. Coughlan should be looking to get himself a management role anyway, so could be a good excuse for him to turn the page. I would 100% keep Kev though.

I agree, Coughlan surely must take a small portion of the blame for our terrible form, and it may be better for his career to go somewhere else. Better to allow a new man to bring his own lieutenants in, clean slate and all that.

Also what happened to this goalkeeping coach we were supposed to be getting?

Rubbish, no club would skint themselves giving a contract they could not get out of. Not sure what the average shelf life is of a league manager but it cant be longer than 18 months.

Brown was out of work (for quite a while) when we appointed him. He was hardly in any position to negotiate a fantastic deal.

Didn't Ron go after Brown? In which case I would have thought Phil would have negotiated a decent wage and other benefits to tempt him away from his family as they still live up north.

I agree, Coughlan surely must take a small portion of the blame for our terrible form, and it may be better for his career to go somewhere else. Better to allow a new man to bring his own lieutenants in, clean slate and all that.

Also what happened to this goalkeeping coach we were supposed to be getting?

I kind of agree, but I also feel like Brown probably isn't the easiest person to work with. I reckon a lot of the time it's his way or the highway. Coughlan might often voice his opinion on what's wrong, but if it falls on deaf ears then there isn't much he can do.

Lee Harrison is now our full time goalkeeping coach by the way. Seems to have slipped completely under the radar but some of my family know some of his family, so I can confirm.

I would have Paul Clark... He knows the game a lot better now too....

Agree, but not as manager - Paul has prob been too long out of the management scene to cope with all that entails and help attract players in. But he speaks a lot of common sense IMHO in particular re many of his tactical observations. So, if Chrissy Powell, will have him, get him in as an assistant. I suspect he's cheap as chips too.

We won't be able to pay off brown in a lump sum so we would probably continue to pay him his regular wage. Thus leaving us with peanuts to pay a new gaffer....Chuck names about all you like the fact is they will all want decent salary.

It would be a tough job for anyone. I look at most teams in our leagues squads and I think they are stronger than ours.

Agree, but not as manager - Paul has prob been too long out of the management scene to cope with all that entails and help attract players in. But he speaks a lot of common sense IMHO in particular re many of his tactical observations. So, if Chrissy Powell, will have him, get him in as an assistant. I suspect he's cheap as chips too.

Yes Clark would be a great coach for, and David Crown as a striking coach!

Then what ?

Its all well and good getting rid of Brown and I do think that it could come after Millwall destroy us Saturday.

Great stuff , but it still leaves us in a complete mess, and unable to sign anybody until January.

Any new manager even Jose mourinho would struggle.

Anyone. We may lack some depth and a little quality in areas, but not even the 11 that started the last game is relegation standard, let alone those coming back from injury. We might not be top-10 standard but we're certainly not bad enough for a relegation scrap. We just need someone who can motivate and galvanise the players, as well as play to their strengths and get more out of them. It's not difficult and I certainly don't see a new manager struggling with this set of players until January to the same extent as Brown is.

I don't think Phil will resign and I'm not sure the club can afford to sack him.

It's all well and good saying this but if it is the case that RM will have trouble affording to sack him then there will have to come a stage where that stops being an issue. I hate the phrase, but "speculate to accumulate". We are heading down with Brown at the helm, and it may well be that a one-off severance package of £200k-£300k but preserving L1 status is less costly to the club than relegation back to L2 - which will cost a sizeable drop in TV revenue and gate receipts, and will probably lead to a near-Sturrock scenario where a L2 squad needing to be built from scratch and us getting stuck down there for 5 years again. That simply can't be allowed to happen. Bite the bullet, pay the money and stop the slide before we're too far adrift.

We won't be able to pay off brown in a lump sum so we would probably continue to pay him his regular wage. Thus leaving us with peanuts to pay a new gaffer....Chuck names about all you like the fact is they will all want decent salary.

We were going to pay decent money for Simpson and didn't. The money is there. Imho paying Brown off and getting another manager in would be much better than any singular signing we could ever hope to make.

We were going to pay decent money for Simpson and didn't. The money is there. Imho paying Brown off and getting another manager in would be much better than any singular signing we could ever hope to make.

Maybe the money wasn't there and that's why we didn't sign him????

I was told years ago by an ex director that these supposed pay offs are a myth. He said that all managers agree to a severance amount when they sign the contract. I guess the more desperate they want the job the less the pay off would be. And I imagine that RM would drive a hard bargain.

Back