• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I Really Can't Believe It...

Yeah , and if he keeps using players out of position he could find himself England manager one day .........

Did we really expect to get promoted last year? - NO. Were we ready? - NO. Were the players we had good enough for the Championship? Probably not. Have we rebuilt a stronger team who are now finding their feet? YES.
If we go down will we bounce back and stay up? I hope so.
If Tilly has made mistakes it's to be expected. You cant expect the new boy to get it right 1st time. I know some of you will throw names at me and say he's made more than a few mistakes but that's life and that's most definately football!
I would rather stick with Tilly and know we have a man who has the club in his blood than pay someone stupid money for the sake of it.
Say what you like, that's my opinion.

Tilly's biggest fan? I don't know. What I do know is that I like to think that I can always see both sides of the arguement and even like to play Devil's Advocate occasionally, but I simply can't do that here because I don't see how you can argue with the job that Steve Tilson has done at Southend United. Of course he has made mistakes. So have Arsene Wenger & Sir Alex Ferguson. For what it's worth I thought that his substitutions against Leeds cost us two points on the day and could come back to haunt us at the end of the season. He's not infalible, but some of the posts that you and a handful of others on here make suggest that we are down the bottom because of him and that, by implication, another manager would have us higher in the league or is a better option for us in the long-term, neither of which are opinions that I can subscribe to.

I'm certainly not knocking the job Steve has done (indeed in another thread, I agree nobody I can think of can do it better) - and yes, of course everybody makes mistakes.

My gripe is that mentioning any critique of Tilly on SZ is greeted with a torrent of abuse because you may have bismirched the good mans name.

If pointing out for discussion any tactical failing, team selection, poor substitutions, lack-lustre performance is now taboo to the masses, then SZ will be the poorer for it.

I asked you to list these so-called mistakes and fair-play to you for doing so, but I'd suggest that some of them are simply opinions rather than clear-cut mistakes. You're clearly, from your criticism, from the school of thought that says that quantity is more important than quality when it comes down to a squad. Tilly takes the other stand-point. They're opinions and they're managerial philosophies and to call one of them incorrect suggests that you think you know more about the game than people in the other camp.

Sure most are my opinion - in my opinion, Tilly has made mistakes. Arent mistakes perceived to be so by the judger (in this instance, me?)

Anyway, I'm not saying specifically quantity as such - but a lack of numbers of any kind leads to complacency and that leads to a lower performance as players know they are pretty much going to get picked. Bradburys performances have been poor for some time, but we simply dont have the options to change it - Tilly obviously doesnt think Harrold can do the job from the start.

As I've mentioned, the fact that so many have left smacks a bit for me - like there is a negative undertow in the squad against Tilson - why else would they not stay and fight for their place? If Tilly doesnt think they are good enough, then why were players like Wilson, Cole etc offered new deals in the first place?

On some of your specific points, I'd suggest that Wayne Gray is, and always was, rubbish, that Paynter has had next to no time here to make an impact (although I wouldn't defend his performances in the games he has played) and that utilising a small squad, playing a simple 4-4-2 formation and using players out of position (Gower, Pettefer, Bentley, Hunt, Gray, Bramble, Nicolau, Barrett, Wilson and others) when necessary are corner-stones of the success that Tilly has had here and are the reasons why we are fighting with Leeds & Luton for survival at this level rather than fighting with Boston & Torquay to avoid the drop into the Conference.

Wayne Gray for his faults would have offered us something different that we simply dont have at the moment and that is the option over the top, into the corners - forcing the opposition to play on the back foot a bit. Everything at the moment is into feet and its so easy to defend against - especially at this higher level. Saturday, I would have stuck JCR up-top and Bradbury out right for 10-15 mins, just to try something different and see if we could trouble them over the top as the pitch was not rolling true and JCR had no chance to run the ball on it.

Its this sort of tactical flexibility that Tilly doesnt seem to be willing to try. That too me, is one of his 'faults' if you will.

Last edited:
And I cannot believe the 'untouchable' and 'invincible' status this affords Tilly.

Nobody can ever take Tilly's achievements away and the guy is (by way of his accomplishments) the best manager we have ever had. Does this make him numb from criticism? Does it make him unable to make mistakes? No.

By your reckoning, Steve will be here for the rest of his career? Even if we nose-dive and end up in the conference in 10 years? "But hey, give him a break, he got us to the LDV finals".

Tilly will admit himself, that like the players, he is learning at this level - part of learning is making mistakes. If you learn from your mistakes and do your best never to repeat them, then you will improve.

Tilly has (and continues) to make mistakes and they should be up for discussion in a forum such as this.

Totaly agree!

My gripe is that mentioning any critique of Tilly on SZ is greeted with a torrent of abuse because you may have bismirched the good mans name.

IMHO it has never been a problem to criticise specific areas where Tilly has made mistakes, what riles me, and others, is when people spout off about how if we get relegated it will be all Tilson's fault.

If anyone else mentions Wayne Gray I will scream. Beefy for what it's worth I never take very seriously posts from most fans on Shrimperzone. Some are funny, some erudite and some are downright stupid. I do however sit up and take notice when Isee a post by yourself. I always seem to agree with you. And that goes for Andy S as well.Tilly is our best ever manager and we still moan. Still it's the nature of the beast I suppose. What does Neil call all this "if only we'd kept Benno rubbish", the Texan sharpshooter fallacy I think.

This is what i said after the Leeds win on Friday. i still stand by it. We really must keep our nerve.

I think we have to be realistic here. It's disappointing that Leeds won but they will not win all their games as no one else will down the bottom. There are going to be many twists and turns to come. I actually have Hull down as a loss but hope I'm wrong. If this happens no doubt the moaners will come out of the woodwork and it'll all be doom and gloom. This will be disappointing but not the end of the world so long as we win other games. However I will (fingers crossed touch wood) say if we win tomorrow we will stay up. There I've said it.

If anyone else mentions Wayne Gray I will scream. Beefy for what it's worth I never take very seriously posts from most fans on Shrimperzone. Some are funny, some erudite and some are downright stupid. I do however sit up and take notice when Isee a post by yourself. I always seem to agree with you. And that goes for Andy S as well.Tilly is our best ever manager and we still moan. Still it's the nature of the beast I suppose. What does Neil call all this "if only we'd kept Benno rubbish", the Texan sharpshooter fallacy I think.

This is what i said after the Leeds win on Friday. i still stand by it. We really must keep our nerve.

I think we have to be realistic here. It's disappointing that Leeds won but they will not win all their games as no one else will down the bottom. There are going to be many twists and turns to come. I actually have Hull down as a loss but hope I'm wrong. If this happens no doubt the moaners will come out of the woodwork and it'll all be doom and gloom. This will be disappointing but not the end of the world so long as we win other games. However I will (fingers crossed touch wood) say if we win tomorrow we will stay up. There I've said it.

Dont think the 'Doom and Gloom' would have been so bad if we hadnt rolled over and died at Hull.

I doubt many fans (me included) expected us to go to Hull and win - but it was the manner of the defeat that shocked so many.

Back