• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

...that so many so called Southend fans on here are starting to question Tillys management??? Hello...2 successive promotions (play offs and league 1 champions), 2 consecutive LDV finals, saved us from relegation when he took over in that November when we were rooted to the bottom of the football league, and then the next season we were bottom (rock) after six games and went up via the play offs!!
Some people don't seem to realise what he has done for SUFC, and that annoys me. Yes, ok he cant attract Championship quality players, only players from league 2 etc, but in all honesty thats not his fault, its just that 'Championship' quality players look at us as a 'small' club, but i am very confident that if we stay up, and when we get a new stadium, everything will change, and we will become a very good Championship team, and then we will push on from there.

SO AT THIS CRUCIAL STAGE OF THE SEASON WHY DON'T ALL THE MOANERS GET BEHIND THE TEAM AND HELP US STAY UP!!!!!!

Yes, ok he cant attract Championship quality players, only players from league 2 etc, but in all honesty thats not his fault, its just that 'Championship' quality players look at us as a 'small' club, but i am very confident that if we stay up, and when we get a new stadium, everything will change, and we will become a very good Championship team, and then we will push on from there.
Here Here!

If we stay up and then get a new stadium, things are bound to change! :D Weeee happy times to look forward to. :D

i didn't expect to get anything from hull. i think they are going to be well safe from relegation so i wasn't to surprised when we lost. i don't think many fans are questioning the result just the lack of passion from what i have read on here and heard. not fare to blame tilly as theres only so much he can do from the sidelines. as i have said earlier today i think it will be a different story once we get macca back. with him we're a different team.

all we need now is three points against the farmers!

...that so many so called Southend fans on here are starting to question Tillys management??? Hello...2 successive promotions (play offs and league 1 champions), 2 consecutive LDV finals, saved us from relegation when he took over in that November when we were rooted to the bottom of the football league, and then the next season we were bottom (rock) after six games and went up via the play offs!!
Some people don't seem to realise what he has done for SUFC, and that annoys me. Yes, ok he cant attract Championship quality players, only players from league 2 etc, but in all honesty thats not his fault, its just that 'Championship' quality players look at us as a 'small' club, but i am very confident that if we stay up, and when we get a new stadium, everything will change, and we will become a very good Championship team, and then we will push on from there.

SO AT THIS CRUCIAL STAGE OF THE SEASON WHY DON'T ALL THE MOANERS GET BEHIND THE TEAM AND HELP US STAY UP!!!!!!

And I cannot believe the 'untouchable' and 'invincible' status this affords Tilly.

Nobody can ever take Tilly's achievements away and the guy is (by way of his accomplishments) the best manager we have ever had. Does this make him numb from criticism? Does it make him unable to make mistakes? No.

By your reckoning, Steve will be here for the rest of his career? Even if we nose-dive and end up in the conference in 10 years? "But hey, give him a break, he got us to the LDV finals".

Tilly will admit himself, that like the players, he is learning at this level - part of learning is making mistakes. If you learn from your mistakes and do your best never to repeat them, then you will improve.

Tilly has (and continues) to make mistakes and they should be up for discussion in a forum such as this.

Which mistakes are these?

I genuinely think not offering Gray and Bentley better deals (considering the amout we spent on replacements), was a mistake. Signing Billy Paynter was a (panic buy) mistake.

Playing players out of position is a mistake on more than one level - I dont think that is something you should do, especially with ready made replacements sitting on the bench.

Persisting with a rigid 442 could be seen as a mistake. Tilly isnt the greatest tactically (Goat admits as much in his book) - wouldnt 451 and a boring point at Hull been better in our current position? Every point is valuable.

Signing Ricketts was ultimately a mistake in many ways, though that was actually worth a gamble.

Releasing so many players from a small squad will (IMO) turn out to be Tilly's biggest mistake...

You are Tilly's biggest fan though are you not Beefy? :rolleyes:

i don't think he is saying Tilly can do no wrong, but it is the extreme levels people go to when criticising that people have a problem with. I'm in the "Tilly can do no wrong" brigade, not because I genuinely believe that, but because of some of the rubbish that people come up with that forces me to defend him.
I think he has made many mistakes, not only this year but the previous 2 years. However he has also made many right decisions and what manager hasn't made any mistakes?
There're not many managers who know and love this (or any) club inside out - one of the key reasons that he has had success here.
I honestly believe that there is not a manager outside the Premiership who could do a better job at Southend than Tilly. So whilst he may not be the perfect manager in the World he is definitely the best manager for Southend United and that is why I, and others, get annoyed at some of the drivil that is spouted out on here.

lets just hope the thrashing at hull spurs us on for the rest of the season. fact is we have to make this bottom of the table clashes count if we want to stay up. which means we have to beat barnsley and luton at home

i don't think he is saying Tilly can do no wrong, but it is the extreme levels people go to when criticising that people have a problem with. I'm in the "Tilly can do no wrong" brigade, not because I genuinely believe that, but because of some of the rubbish that people come up with that forces me to defend him.
I think he has made many mistakes, not only this year but the previous 2 years. However he has also made many right decisions and what manager hasn't made any mistakes?
There're not many managers who know and love this (or any) club inside out - one of the key reasons that he has had success here.
I honestly believe that there is not a manager outside the Premiership who could do a better job at Southend than Tilly. So whilst he may not be the perfect manager in the World he is definitely the best manager for Southend United and that is why I, and others, get annoyed at some of the drivil that is spouted out on here.

I'm not anti-Tilly, far from it and also totally agree that I couldnt think of anybody else to take the job on.

All I am saying is, where there is criticism to be had, lets not tip-toe on egg-shells to discuss it. I back Tilly and the players at the games and anything said in the car, pub, message boards is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly so Mr Bin. I have always found myself in the same boat. The man isn't perfect, but he'll do for me. Show me someone else who could've improved on what this man has done for us...

This doesn't of course mean that Tilson is untouchable or unworthy of criticism at times. I wasn't there at the Hull match, however, the reports have been damning without exception so it's easy to understand people's frustrations.

I'm still not sure though what's most frustrating; the over-the-top comments themselves, the way certain people only seem to turn up on the site when we've lost a game, or the fact that those most intent on slagging the manager off get so terribly upset when people challenge their opinions with opinions of their own?

I genuinely think not offering Gray and Bentley better deals (considering the amout we spent on replacements), was a mistake.

Not the whole story of course, but the fact that Bentley hardly appears to be pulling up many trees in League One (see how Gillingham are doing with him as a regular in the team) suggests he'd not have been much use in the Championship.

*waits for Yorkshire Blue to storm to the defence of his loved one*

Not the whole story of course, but the fact that Bentley hardly appears to be pulling up many trees in League One (see how Gillingham are doing with him as a regular in the team) suggests he'd not have been much use in the Championship.

Benno would have been a darn sight more useful than the poisonous dwarf Guttridge was during the first half of this season...

:(

I'm not saying its right or good for people to be questioning Tilly but if it's done on here and not at games then let people. It is a discussion board after all. The support including at Hull has always been 100% behind the team and a credit to the club. Better that people moan on here than turn on the team at matches.

It has created days worth of reading material as well.

PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why can't they express them

Gillingham were 1-0 down when Benno got sent off with 15 minutes left the other week. Without him they proceeded to concede 4 goals in 15 minutes. That is how important he is to Gillingham.

There are few players in the current team whose sending off would make a similar impact - even when Maher AND Gower were sent off against Col Ewe, we only conceded 3 goals in 40 minutes. Mind you, we've had a fair bit of practice playing with ten men considering Guttridge's "efforts" at the start of the season.

Exactly so Mr Bin. I have always found myself in the same boat. The man isn't perfect, but he'll do for me. Show me someone else who could've improved on what this man has done for us...

This doesn't of course mean that Tilson is untouchable or unworthy of criticism at times. I wasn't there at the Hull match, however, the reports have been damning without exception so it's easy to understand people's frustrations.

I'm still not sure though what's most frustrating; the over-the-top comments themselves, the way certain people only seem to turn up on the site when we've lost a game, or the fact that those most intent on slagging the manager off get so terribly upset when people challenge their opinions with opinions of their own?
Very true - some people just like to moan, no doubt if we were 3rd in the league they would be slagging off Tilly as to why we weren't top of the league haha

I genuinely think not offering Gray and Bentley better deals (considering the amout we spent on replacements), was a mistake. Signing Billy Paynter was a (panic buy) mistake.

Playing players out of position is a mistake on more than one level - I dont think that is something you should do, especially with ready made replacements sitting on the bench.

Persisting with a rigid 442 could be seen as a mistake. Tilly isnt the greatest tactically (Goat admits as much in his book) - wouldnt 451 and a boring point at Hull been better in our current position? Every point is valuable.

Signing Ricketts was ultimately a mistake in many ways, though that was actually worth a gamble.

Releasing so many players from a small squad will (IMO) turn out to be Tilly's biggest mistake...

You are Tilly's biggest fan though are you not Beefy? :rolleyes:

Tilly's biggest fan? I don't know. What I do know is that I like to think that I can always see both sides of the arguement and even like to play Devil's Advocate occasionally, but I simply can't do that here because I don't see how you can argue with the job that Steve Tilson has done at Southend United. Of course he has made mistakes. So have Arsene Wenger & Sir Alex Ferguson. For what it's worth I thought that his substitutions against Leeds cost us two points on the day and could come back to haunt us at the end of the season. He's not infalible, but some of the posts that you and a handful of others on here make suggest that we are down the bottom because of him and that, by implication, another manager would have us higher in the league or is a better option for us in the long-term, neither of which are opinions that I can subscribe to.

I asked you to list these so-called mistakes and fair-play to you for doing so, but I'd suggest that some of them are simply opinions rather than clear-cut mistakes. You're clearly, from your criticism, from the school of thought that says that quantity is more important than quality when it comes down to a squad. Tilly takes the other stand-point. They're opinions and they're managerial philosophies and to call one of them incorrect suggests that you think you know more about the game than people in the other camp.

On some of your specific points, I'd suggest that Wayne Gray is, and always was, rubbish, that Paynter has had next to no time here to make an impact (although I wouldn't defend his performances in the games he has played) and that utilising a small squad, playing a simple 4-4-2 formation and using players out of position (Gower, Pettefer, Bentley, Hunt, Gray, Bramble, Nicolau, Barrett, Wilson and others) when necessary are corner-stones of the success that Tilly has had here and are the reasons why we are fighting with Leeds & Luton for survival at this level rather than fighting with Boston & Torquay to avoid the drop into the Conference.

Last edited:
Back