• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harry Cardwell

Who said you weren't entitled to your opinion??

You're entitled to your opinion and other people are entitled to disagree. That's how conversation works.

You're being massively OTT.
Think I was just so gutted at this news. I don't blame Cards or the club just wish he had gone to a league club not a promotion rival, it hurt a lot more and feel so sorry for Kev, will he ever get a week without drama 🤦🏼‍♂️ 💙

That’s a body blow.

But to Cards, thanks. He could have left on a number of occasions last season and stuck it out with us. I get why he’s left for this deal, and I wish him well personally.

I’m not sure he’ll get the game time he deserves and I’m not sure how great that will be for his fitness, I think he’s someone who needs to play 90 minutes every week to stay fit. I’m sure he’s one we’ll be linked with on loan in the future, even if it never actually happens.

I wish him nothing but the best in the future. During his time at Southend he never gave less than his all and he is not undeserving of the good fortune that has come his way.

Galling as it is to lose him to a divisional rival if is a sad fact of life that if we sign a good player it is only a matter time before he moves on to better things. It has always been like that.

In the meantime life goes on and we have to adapt. In this league often how you finish the season is more important than how you start. We need to be no worse than mid table by the end of the year and by then the replacements will have bedded in and we can finish strongly enough to snatch a play off place.

Tomorrow will be a challenge but surely it is no more difficult than our first game of last season against Oldham. No one gave us a chance then (certainly not me) and it is time to again do the unexpected.

UTB!

I’m not sure he’ll get the game time he deserves and I’m not sure how great that will be for his fitness, I think he’s someone who needs to play 90 minutes every week to stay fit. I’m sure he’s one we’ll be linked with on loan in the future, even if it never actually happens.
I think he will start with Doidge personally with Quigley and Omotayo on the bench.

Yes it’s a massive loss but look at the bigger picture …

Everyone moaned when we were signing players with no sell on potential, we signed Cards for £20k ish and have sold him for £120k this is what we NEED to do to make ourselves sustainable.

Like I said it’s gutting we have lost our top goalscorer last season but the club gave him a contract offer and this was rejected and his agent (and himself) insisted on a fee of £120k minimum fee release clause … if we didn’t offer then he would of been going on a free and you would of all moaned a damn sight more.

We have made £100k off the deal which is good business at our level.

COSU have said all along that the 5 year plan is to make us self sustainable and unfortunately this is one of the steps in that.

Chin up lads get behind the team and things will come good.

With such beautiful hair I am surprised he didnt sign for Barnet.

But players come and they go especially at our level and finance. Its happened before and it will happen again. Regardless of the money a club has players will always move on and others will join.

There was a time before Sir Kevin Betsy and we just about coped with his departure. We are still here though and thats what matters.

This is going to sound weird but we have to take the positives from this. The fact we all feel so strongly (anger, sadness, envious, bitter etc.) shows how connected we've become with this squad of players. That's all down to Kev and Co. They have created a group that we've all come to love. They all spilt blood, sweat and tears over the last 2 years and it's why we feel the way we do. We have not felt this about a team or a specific player for years as they didn't care, they do now.

It's painful now, but we'll connect with new recruits too and will stay connected to the ones who remain. Even the ones that didn't quite work out gained a connection (Powell and Wes) and that's down to how we recruit and what the club demands of it's players now.

Goodbye Cards, thanks for everything. You've moved on and so will we. UTB!

As of today, there is no way of seeing this as anything other than horrific. A player who’s been absolutely terrific gone to a side in the same division. And Forest Green. Just when you think the bad times are done, there’s always another sting in the tail. What was once Stan Collymore to Forest, is now Forest effing Green poaching our best.

But…some things to consider. Have we had the best or is there better to come? When Exeter rumours swirled, my Exeter mates asked - “is he the answer to our striker woes” and my answer was “maybe”. He was doing great for us, but his historic record, incl injuries, was patchy. And L1 defences are much better than NL. As it is he’s gone to another NL side and I absolutely wish him well. The squad of last season pretty much get a ‘free pass’ for life given how they performed against the backdrop they were up against. Fans will be anxious that the corresponding loan signing has a…moderate…goal scoring record - the ‘swing’ from Cardwell to Pebble doesn’t look brilliant on paper. But Kev and co have earned our trust.

Sign players cheap - move them on at profit - repeat. That’s the key to sustainable improvement. This will not be the last time this happens. So mourn his departure, celebrate the good times - but get used to the concept. We cant expect to strike gold and hope to keep it - in my view - better Cardwell than GSM as an example. Doesn’t necessarily help tomorrow obviously, but remember it’s a long game. UTB

I wonder if we negotiated a clause in the sale where Cardwell would not be permitted to play against us, home or away?

Back