• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Gillingham FC vs Southend United

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the seventh away game of the 2018/19 season and the 16th League One away game since Chris Powell’s return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.
Our seventh away match is against Gillingham.

SkyBet League One.jpg
Gillingham.pngVS.pngSUFC.jpg

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at the Priestfield Stadium, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow.
Chris Powell's 7th Southend United League One Away Team of the 2018/19 season and will be wearing our Orange away kit.

DpY8jQ-W4AALA0T.jpg

The Priestfield Stadium which has a new Plas/Gras pitch laid this week is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 13th October, it looks like we are going to have a sunny afternoon but the away Shrimpers will need to keep out of the chilly wind in the open stand.

DpYtACLWkAECVzm.jpg

DpYUbLSW0AEIG7Q.jpg

The weather forecast for day at The Priestfield Stadium
GillinghamWeather.png

Chris Powell’s current away record after 16 games
Won 6
Drawn 4
Lost 6
Goals scored 14
Goals conceded 18

League Positions Last Season
10th (2017/18) Southend United
17th (2017/18) Gillingham

League Positions Current Season
11th (2018/19 Season) Southend United
19th (2018/19 Season) Gillingham

Recent League Positions Change

GillinghamvSUFCPositions.png

Previous five Meetings
Southend United 4-0 Gillingham (L1 2/04/18 Att. 8,466)
Gillingham 2-1 Southend United (LTGr 29/08/17 Att. 1,549)
Gillingham 3-3 Southend United (L1 26/08/17 Att. 5,339)
Gillingham 2-1 Southend United (L1 25/02/17 Att. 6,542)
Southend United 1-3 Gillingham (LC1 9/08/16 Att. 2,816)

Head to Head record
Southend United Wins: 38
Draws: 32
Gillingham Wins: 46

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-match Views
Gillingham
Steve Lovell talks to Gillingham OS

Steve Lovell – "I think we both like to go forward and attack and hopefully it’ll be a good game for the supporters and we can come out on top.
“I know Chris very well from my Charlton days and I know what team he puts out and they’ll be well organised and well drilled.”

Gillingham Team News
Connor Ogilvie returns for Steve Lovell's side, but Brandon Hanlan and Josh Parker miss out.
Regan Charles-Cook (ankle), Billy Bingham (ankle) and Brandon Hanlan (hamstring) are all missing for Saturday’s game. Charles-Cook and Bingham are expected to return for the trip to Doncaster but Hanlan is set to be out for the next four weeks after limping off during Tuesday's defeat to Tottenham.
Liam Nash has returned from his loan spell at Dulwich Hamlet and is available for selection. Josh Parker is away on international duty with Antigua & Barbuda while Finn O'Mara left Gills to join Folkestone late on Friday.

Southend United
Chris Powell talks to the Southend United OS before the game

Chris Powell says it’s good to see the strikers getting goals but would like to see the midfielders and defenders chip in with a few more.
It has been over a month since a midfielder scored with the previous six goals all scored by Tom Hopper, Simon Cox and Theo Robinson.
Stephen McLaughlin was the last non-striker to net, against Peterborough, and Powell says it’s good to see the strikers all scoring, but it needs to be supplemented by goals from elsewhere.
“We need someone else other than the strikers to score at the minute which is good and bad really because ultimately you want your strikers to score and they’ve all scored, it keeps them confident,” he said. “They’ve all scored, and it will be good for them to carry that on.
“Tom’s [Hopper] got a record of one in two which is a good record. It would be great for him to carry that on throughout the season, Simon now has three in four and Theo always chips in with a goal. He’s a box player, similar to Shawn.
“They’re different types in stature but similar in that they’re box players, whereas Simon likes to link up the play and Tom seems to get beaten up by every defender and doesn’t get the fouls but carries on and gets his goals.
“We’ll see on Saturday if a striker scores again I will be happy but if it’s a midfielder or a defender then even better.”
Gillingham ended a 10-game winless run against high-flying Portsmouth last weekend, shocking Pompey in a 2-0 win, and Blues will be hoping to get their first win since 2012 at Priestfield Stadium.
“We have to be aware of what they can do but like all League One games it’s just about what happens on the day,” Powell added.
“You just have to be prepared and focus on what you’re good at because they’re all difficult games and this one is no different.
“We’re going there with momentum behind us and if we go there and make it 13 points from 15 then you’re talking about staying where we are and aiming higher.
"But we all know where we would like to be.”

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell heads to Gillingham with concerns about the Kent club’s new pitch.
The League One clash will be the first to be played on the relayed surface which has cost the Gills £450,000.
And Powell is worried what part the pitch could play in the game.
“I’m a little bit concerned but I’m sure they are too,” said the Blues boss.
“It’s not me being negative to them but a new pitch needs to have time to bed in.
“I know they’re brilliant these days with what they can do but I remember watching Rochdale against Tottenham in the FA Cup last season and seeing bits of turf coming up and players slipping over on their new pitch.
“We just have to hope it plays as true as it can and that we’ll be able to play our football.”
The Shrimpers will be making the short trip in good spirits having collected 10 points from the last 12 on offer, prior to Tuesday night’s Checkatrade Trophy defeat at Colchester United.
However, Powell knows the Gills will be tough opponents after they won away at high-flying Portsmouth last weekend.
“We have to be aware of what they can do but like all League One games it’s just about what happens on the day,” said Powell.
“You just have to be prepared and focus on what you’re good at because they’re all difficult games and this one is no different.
“We’re going there with momentum behind us and if we go there and make it 13 points from 15 then you’re talking about staying where we are and aiming higher.
"But we all know where we would like to be.”

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Chris Powell on today’s line-up: “It’s come a day or two early for John White and Tom Hopper. We’re without Jason Demetriou but he would’ve been missing anyway through suspension.”

Let's hope Theo has one of his 'on' days and Coxy can continue his goal scoring exploits. One thing is for certain McCoulsky hasn't done enough to merit a league start in Powell's opinion.

4 4 2 this pm ?
I’d say it looks a 3-5-2 with Hendrie/Coker as a left sided centre-back but could be wrong. We’ve seen CP put Hendrie as a left winger before so may be that or simply switching between the two to give a bit more flexibility than McLaughlin.

Good to see Lennon back on the bench.

Let's hope Theo has one of his 'on' days and Coxy can continue his goal scoring exploits. One thing is for certain McCoulsky hasn't done enough to merit a league start in Powell's opinion.
Yep he just didn’t enough at col u on tuesday, or should I say never really got the service from anyone.

I'm settling down to watch on iFollow. So far the picture and sound are working ok and I can see the Gills Ground live and listen to what Braintree are up to. Scintillating.

Oxley had a strap on his elbow during warm ups.

It's seems I have Norman Collier on commentary....hope the picture holds up

You would think they would have moved the camera forward a bit so it could see that corner?

Back