• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Friday the Thirteenth

Its friday the 13th and I pondered on all the mishaps that I could remember, not necessarily on a Friday 13th.
Anyone care to enlighten us with tales of calamity or days when things just didn't go right for them or (Southend related link!) the team?

Be lucky today
biggrin.gif
Take care
wink.gif

the last fri 13th was indeed a nightmare for me personally.

First, driving my car up hobleythick lane, what was to step out infront of me.....a black cat of all things, i swerved to avoid hitting the bloody thing, which resulted in me mounting the crossing point in the middle of the road and totally snapping my front right alloy....

Limping home on near enough three wheels i preceeded to change the ruined wheel, jacked it up, removed all the bolts etc etc, now dont ask me why, but my hand was near the jack at which point the thing slipped and resulted in two of my fingers being trapped in between the jack and the one tonne monster of my golf gti.

Needless to say it hurt and made a right mess of the two fingers unfortunate enough to be caught, so indeed a trip up southend gen was needed where i received a dozen stitches!!

What a day eh!! I will be avoiding any uneccessary motor trips today i think!.

biggrin.gif

The team?

Colchester United 3-1 Southend (Nelson) (Att: just over 1,000)
Friday 13 August 1982
Football League Trophy Group Stage at Layer Road

sad.gif
sad.gif

This happened about 13
ghostface.gif
years ago...

I was driving to work, but stopped behind another car at traffic lights. There was a car behind me that stopped but the van behind him didn't! the impact was bad enough, with me being in the middle of a three car sandwich, but what was worse was the chassis of my car had been badly damaged and none of the doors would open!
sad.gif

Panic set in, in a big way [my anus was going sixpence / dustbin lid
sad.gif
] and the only way I could get out was through my sunroof...

When surveying the damage from the outside, I realised how lucky I had been... there was absolutely no boot left on my car and the guy behind me was trapped in his car by his legs! I was amazed at the speed with which the emergency services arrived and they released the trapped driver within about 30 minutes... it took 9 months for the insurance settlement to come through and my car was a complete write off!
mad.gif

An unlucky moment for me. Apologies if I've said this before as I'm getting older I worry if I'll get like uncle Albert and repeat stories...
tounge.gif

Anyway. In my yoof we used to go to up West for various Scootery or Bonehead clubs. On the way back some half brains on the tube decided to play Star Wars with the flourescent lights. Then decided to play Londons Burning with the fire extinguisher. The police stormed the carriage and demanded the culprits, I in my wisdom stood up and said "I'm spartacus" expecting the carriage to join in. They didn't and I got nicked spending a night in hammersmith cells next door to, as luck would not have it, the smelliest wino who sang and farted his way through the night. And my scrambled egg was runny in the morning too!
I wouldn't mind but unusually for the whole evening I had been on my bestest behaviour.

Well, some b'stard barged past me this morning as I stepped off the bus and in so doing tore my wrist-watch from my wrist, knocking it to the ground.

The watch is buggered, to say the least.  The mechanism is still working, but the glass cover of the watch cracked, dropping a sizeable shard onto the watch face - which, if unrepaired, would inevitably get in the way of the watch-hands.

However, it's not all bad luck... I found my "Sterling Care" insurance policy and so can get it repaired for free - hurrah - although it will take 8 weeks...

sad.gif

Hey ho.

Matt

Let hope Rochdale FC players walk under the ladder or run over a black cat today, just to bring them bad luck & a Southend first win of the season tomorrow
wink.gif

Don't run over a black cat! Join the Cat protection League for £5 a year!! Get "Moggy Mail" !!

I had some bad luck today. Being a postie can have its danger. The main danger is leaving your keys in the boot with the rest of the bags. Today was the day it happened. The first time. Luckily, the sun-roof was opener and someone found one of those litter picker-upers that the cleaners at school use. I managed to unlock my front door with that ... open the day back door ... seats down and i was saved. I only have 1 set of keys so that could have really f**ked me up. Luckily it was all over in 20 mins and haven't had any bad luck since ...

Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Aug. 13 2004,20:06)]I had some bad luck today. Being a postie can have its danger. The main danger is leaving your keys in the boot with the rest of the bags. Today was the day it happened. The first time. Luckily, the sun-roof was opener and someone found one of those litter picker-upers that the cleaners at school use. I managed to unlock my front door with that ... open the day back door ... seats down and i was saved. I only have 1 set of keys so that could have really f**ked me up. Luckily it was all over in 20 mins and haven't had any bad luck since ...

Kev
Private car when delivering the mail? Didn't think it was allowed?
ghostface.gif

I was the postie up here for 8 years, best place to be a postie except for the lack of footie!
smile.gif

Postie and friday 13th related. Many years ago I too was a postman plod. Interesting fact, The Southend postal district (SS Postcodes) have more dog attacks than anywhere else in the country. I was delivering down Fane Road in Thundersley. It was one of those routes where it was a bike or nothing and the f**king area has more dogs than people. It was also that nightmare that all postmen dread, gas and phone bill day, double the weight and every f**king house in the country. I was bitten no less than six times that day and butted by a billy goat. f**k that for a game of soldiers again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sebastian Weetabix @ Aug. 13 2004,20:44)]Postie and friday 13th related. Many years ago I too was a postman plod. Interesting fact, The Southend postal district (SS Postcodes) have more dog attacks than anywhere else in the country. I was delivering down Fane Road in Thundersley. It was one of those routes where it was a bike or nothing and the f**king area has more dogs than people. It was also that nightmare that all postmen dread, gas and phone bill day, double the weight and every f**king house in the country. I was bitten no less than six times that day and butted by a billy goat. f**k that for a game of soldiers again.
Blimey! I only got bitten 3 times in 8 years! Told you this was a good place to be a postie. Never been butted by a goat, either, but a Ram attacked his reflection in the post van once and took out the indicator lens.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Aug. 13 2004,20:54)]Blimey! I only got bitten 3 times in 8 years! Told you this was a good place to be a postie. Never been butted by a goat, either, but a Ram attacked his reflection in the post van once and took out the indicator lens.
Only bitten three times eh! those midges must be a real nuisance... especially if you're wearing a kilt!

ghostface.gif

Still, if you get the missus to apply some calomine lotion to the affected area, it could lead to something more interesting I suppose...

laugh.gif

I've already been biten on the *** by a dog. I'll start moaning when its freezing cold and a blowing north wind ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 13 2004,21:16)]Still, if you get the missus to apply some calomine lotion to the affected area, it could lead to something more interesting I suppose...

laugh.gif
Just don't use that Germoline with Local Anaesthetic... sort of defeats the idea...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Aug. 13 2004,21:26)]I've already been biten on the *** by a dog. I'll start moaning when its freezing cold and a blowing north wind ...
Yeah, well winter was more interesting.. I can't remember how many times my door got blown round onto the wing in "breezy" weather - I wasn't popular with MT!

My bruv Jon Lister is a night sorter in Southend, do you cross his path?

talking of bad luck,i got onto the 2nd tee this morning and it started to rain,now if that wasn't bad enough i ended up going round in 8 over par,hows that for bad luck.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canada shrimper @ Aug. 14 2004,03:39)]talking of bad luck,i got onto the 2nd tee this morning and it started to rain,now if that wasn't bad enough i ended up going round in 8 over par,hows that for bad luck.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
I know how you feel... this crazy golf stuff really is what it says! give me a well maintained golf course anyday!

tounge.gif
 I guess that wasn't what you meant?  
biggrin.gif

Back