• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did you drive over there, me and a few mates plan to visit at least a country every year to see a game, was planning to go to lens, would love details on visit.
I'm sure we will only get as far as the planning stage in the pub

We drove to Lille and it was a piece of cake.

Out of the tunnel, about 60km east then about 60km southeast.

Straight in to the centre of Lille and parked.

Roads are half empty, and it really is a pleasant drive.

Well said, at numerous away games last season any chance of an atmosphere were killed by the over policing/stewarding of fans.

To me its gonna far enough and the clubs/police/government whoever can back off a bit and realize that maybe just maybe the "bad old days" are never going to return.

2nd that! thats why its like it u cant sing ur heart out! cause u get nicked!

what about tickets? did you buy them on line before you left or just on the day...

Bought them online using Google Translate!!!

You have to register, which anyone with common sense can do. No need for a french O level.

Then you just pick the tickets up at the window on the day. There's a big INTERNET sign there which you can't miss.

And, against all pre-conceived ideas, the French are really friendly and helpful. Some lovely lady even walked us to the ground when we asked for directions in our best Franglais.

In terms of prices, I think we paid 28 Euros for seats bang on the halfway line and under the roof.

But the seats behind the goal where everyone got a good pre-match soaking were only 5 and a half Euros. No wonder they were happy.

No programme, but you did get a free mini-newspaper.

I say, don't think about going, just go.

If you go to Lille, which is so easy on the EuroStar or EuroTunnel, let me know and I'll give you the benefit of the cheap hotel and top nightclub we found.
Sounds like a pre-season friendly is in order uncle ron,viva la france

We went to Monaco vs Metz a couple of years ago & like you had tickets on the halfway line high up, with a good view & IIRC didn't pay much either side of €20 for our tickets.

You were allowed to drink in the stands, which was a surprise ............. until you tasted the non alcoholic lager on offer. Nasty!

We slated the Monaco left back that day who we compared less than favourably to the great Cheese. Wonder what ever happened to Patrice Evra? Monaco were on the slide at the time in the season after the Champions League final appearance & lost Deschamps as their manager a couple of weeks before we went. Their only other notable player at the time was Adebayor, but he was injured the day we saw them.

Cheap SleazyJet to Nice, a nice place to watch footy & the ground though only 20k is very impressive.

And we didn't even get a kicking sitting in the Monaco main stand with most of us wearing Southend shirts that were almost identical to what the opposition were wearing that day!

Great thread mate - very interesting read. My missus and family are from Paris - so have been roped into being a big PSG fan, but haven't been to see them play yet. Always thought the atmosphere at Ligue 1 matches would be bad enough, so now i have heard differently i might get on the blower to her family and get some tickets...and the spare bed for the night!

The French really do have a lot to teach us about our own game. The players, the coaches, and the fans are all vastly superior to ours. And until that changes, we will never be anywhere close to them internationally. Club wise we can buy all their players and win the Champions League, but when it comes to our own, we are light years behind.

I think it was Gianfranco Zola who put the gap in technical ability between English and Italian footballers down to the difference in climate. He didn't mean temperature though he was referring to the windy conditions in our country.
Sounds crazy but the point he was making was that high winds often make passing the ball something of a lottery so its easier just to hoof it.
And if you think about it how many games do you see each season that are ruined by the wind swirling around.
If this theory has any truth to it then it means there's not much hope of an improvement in technical ability in this country... unless we switch to summer football?

I think its more a case of what you are used too.. i'm pretty sure any French footy fan who was at white hart lane last night would be going home saying french football isnt a patch on the prem..

I think its more a case of what you are used too.. i'm pretty sure any French footy fan who was at white hart lane last night would be going home saying french football isnt a patch on the prem..
Very true and the french 2nd division is more like league one,going back to prices my team are doing the next 3 home games for just 20 euros.

Well said, at numerous away games last season any chance of an atmosphere were killed by the over policing/stewarding of fans.

To me its gonna far enough and the clubs/police/government whoever can back off a bit and realize that maybe just maybe the "bad old days" are never going to return.

Safety and Security: We needed to control the hooligan element which had hijacked the beautiful game and still need to keep the lid on it, albeit I agree sometimes it can appear to be overpowering presence.

We have achieved families being able to go to football again in saftey and it is noticeable how many ladies and children come along these days. Long may that remain.

The original thread is a brilliant account of an away day with a difference.

However, I know in Holland they have a massive current hooligan problem due to excessive inter-club [GANG] rivalries.

Extremism in any walk of life and especially sport must be controlled and supressed. We [SUFC] have probably 20 explosive types out of 1,000 = 2.5% so the potential problem is minor, thankfully.

Problem comes with youngsters who may be easily lead astray and join in with gang leaders. Just say no to gangs, as with drugs and other evils.

Like minded groups are fine as with SZ and healthy & heated debate is superb, but yobs, vandals and scum bags have no part to play in a civilised society.

If we could take the best the french have to offer [style of play and support] but not the baguettes/garlic dip for the chips, then that would be an ambition worthy of our club.

If we could take the best the french have to offer [style of play and support] but not the baguettes/garlic dip for the chips, then that would be an ambition worthy of our club.

Bollocks to that.....I quite like the sound of baguettes and chips with garlic dip at football ;)

We're all in Europe now....surely there is some EC directive that means we can force Uncle Ron into offering this delicacy at Roots Hall?

Many differing tastes and differing opinions prevail, which is healthy.

Some like mayo...once put it on cheescake thinking it to be cream, in error.

With Maturity have found Cream to have better uses !

Continental [mainland] Europe

Me too or at least with some mayo!

In all sincerity, my nephew James Dalgarno, now living and watching his football in Holland - loves mayo on his chips & anyone who has been to The Netherlands would know.

Just watching BBC and a mademoiselle just mentioned she was ashamed to be French and many under 30 are leaving the country, due to "liberalism".

Militant collectiveism is dangerous for France.

The French lady commented in answer to Question: What do you want France to be become ?

HER ANSWER: LIKE ENGLAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with a huge and beautiful beaming smile on her face.

Also the traffic jams in France can be much more horrendous than here.

Back