• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
N tooPresuming the club will need planning permission to upgrade the North Bank stand therefore the flat residents could put in objections on various issues.
Good point Fairport,I personally would like all toilets,food bars,roof leaks,painting and general tidy up while pp is seen too imo.

Character is subjective. There is no way you can design in character...
Perhaps not character a such, but in terms of what environment/atmosphere you are wanting to create. Comparing Emirates to Tottenham's ground, proximity to pitch, creation of volume by stand design etc.

Perhaps not character a such, but in terms of what environment/atmosphere you are wanting to create. Comparing Emirates to Tottenham's ground, proximity to pitch, creation of volume by stand design etc.
That big middle tier of corporate at Emirates kills the atmosphere. They were just thinking of the money rather than the atmosphere.

I don't think we will have to worry about a middle tier of corporate at the 'new' Roots Hall!

Interestingly, both of those stadiums had Populous involved with the architecture. RM likely either spent a lot of money (or dangled a massive carrot) getting the same company designing Fossetts and trust me, character would not have been top of anybody's agenda there. I've worked on at least 3 other projects recently where the drawings were basically Fossetts with a different backdrop.

If the main concerns of people is the type of cladding used outside (which can be covered with murals etc anyway) we're laughing.

The East Stand (hopefully when built) will be a glass fronted thing of beauty. The rest which will be largely hidden won't matter.

Interestingly, both of those stadiums had Populous involved with the architecture. RM likely either spent a lot of money (or dangled a massive carrot) getting the same company designing Fossetts and trust me, character would not have been top of anybody's agenda there. I've worked on at least 3 other projects recently where the drawings were basically Fossetts with a different backdrop.

If the main concerns of people is the type of cladding used outside (which can be covered with murals etc anyway) we're laughing.

The East Stand (hopefully when built) will be a glass fronted thing of beauty. The rest which will be largely hidden won't matter.
Whether the Club learns its lesson in paying consultants hundreds of thousands to produce nothing of relevance is another story...we can but hope...

I don't think we will have to worry about a middle tier of corporate at the 'new' Roots Hall!
I am guessing increasing the corporate side must be a major part of the plan.

Unfortunately according to the Centre for Cities Southend has the lowest productivity of any major city in the UK:

59 Blackburn
60 Doncaster
61 Barnsley
62 Southend

and the second lowest wages:

60 Stoke £523
61 Plymouth £516
62 Southend £515
63 Burnley £512

Really our local politicians should hang their heads in shame. The hollowing-out of the local economy reflects the position of the Club I suppose.

I am guessing increasing the corporate side must be a major part of the plan.

Unfortunately according to the Centre for Cities Southend has the lowest productivity of any major city in the UK:

59 Blackburn
60 Doncaster
61 Barnsley
62 Southend

and the second lowest wages:

60 Stoke £523
61 Plymouth £516
62 Southend £515
63 Burnley £512

Really our local politicians should hang their heads in shame. The hollowing-out of the local economy reflects the position of the Club I suppose.
Of course we have low productivity, we've all been refreshing Twitter and SZ every two minutes for the last eight months in the hope the rat has gone.

Character can come from many things. Architects having to work within constraints is actually a surpassingly good way of producing character. That’s how you get different shaped stands when architects have to squeeze it into a tight space (eg the South Stand) and that originality ends up giving the ground character.

Alas I fear we won’t have any choice but to go for the cheapest option, which will no doubt be identical to dozens of other club’s identikit stands.

At least we’ll still have the South Stand - can’t think of any other ground in football that looks like that.

Character can come from many things. Architects having to work within constraints is actually a surpassingly good way of producing character. That’s how you get different shaped stands when architects have to squeeze it into a tight space (eg the South Stand) and that originality ends up giving the ground character.

Alas I fear we won’t have any choice but to go for the cheapest option, which will no doubt be identical to dozens of other club’s identikit stands.

At least we’ll still have the South Stand - can’t think of any other ground in football that looks like that.
Our South Stand has always reminded me of a smaller version of The Loft at QPR (if that's the right name).

At some point in the future, assuming the takeover happens and we getback into the EFL, could the South Stand have another tier added to it?

Unfortunately, Ron has spoon fed us that line for decades and it’s had the illusory truth effect.

As far as I’m aware, we’ve already vacated B&L. We’re currently training at RH, as the pitches at B&L are ****ed.

There’s also a pile of **** dumped outside the main building, which looks very much like the old place has been gutted.

But we can’t get onto the new training ground yet, as the pitches there aren’t up to scratch either, and we have no other infrastructure in place.
First of all Mr Martin has got to sign all gone very quiet on takeover🤞🤞🤞🤞

Back