• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
The roof heights issue should be seen in the context of, if Roots Hall had been redeveloped into housing and flats the surrounding existing houses and flats would no doubt have been seriously impacted anyway especially with RMs aim of getting as many units on there as possible! With regard to the west stand present roof height is well below the first floor height of the housing behind, in fact you see how much of a dip RH was built in! those fans who remember the old South Bank terrace height remember summer games swapping ends at half time and chatting with away fans , before jobsons flats!

Height would be a restricting factor given potential issues with rights of light for the newly developed flats in particular. Wouldn't need to be a massive increase over the current though.
Rights to light is not as common as you might think. Im fairly sure the guidelines have changed in planning terms.

Rights to light is not as common as you might think. Im fairly sure the guidelines have changed in planning terms.
People often talk about “right to light” which is a separate law and involves enjoying that light for quite a long time.

Loss of light as an amenity is a planning consideration but has to be established technically and not easy to make stack up on its own as a reason for refusal.

I've always warned about being smug about Colchester - not least because I worked on it way back when.
However uninspiring the design, every aspect of that stadium is light years ahead of Roots Hall.
Of course, money can't necessarily buy character, but it can buy you proper facilities and good quality sightlines - basically all you need.
Grounds do need character. They are special places to their supporters.

Hi can anyone tell me if they think the numbers will run from left to right across the stands from facing the pitch or right to left whilst facing the stands … there’s so much I need to know about the ground we are going to build by our imaginary new owners who don’t own the club and possibly won’t

Character is subjective. There is no way you can design in character...
Agreed, character or quirky? Something unique might be designed in perhaps?
The difference between Huddersfield's and Rotherham's new grounds are day / night imo. Would the Huddersfield approach have cost loads more.
#I am not suggesting our re vamp will, or can be on that scale.

The rear of the north Bank has more back ground space at it's centre due to the old market overflow area, so could the new stand have a deeper, higher arched shape with less light intrusion on properties behind it?

A silly question but would they still be looking to advertise at the roof line of the stadium? I think that part of the reluctance of wanting these new stands is because the photos are taken when the stands are empty, its like viewing an empty house in comparison to one that's furnished, it makes all the difference.

You take that relatively basic looking Bristol Rovers stand, stick it in Roots Hall with some advertising and maybe a score board at the top with fans filling it and I think it would look far different to what it does in the new photos that have been shared. Can't be worse than a falling down stand full of asbestos that no one is allowed to sit in!
Good points

People often talk about “right to light” which is a separate law and involves enjoying that light for quite a long time.

Loss of light as an amenity is a planning consideration but has to be established technically and not easy to make stack up on its own as a reason for refusal.
Agreed. A Right to Light is acquired after a period of twenty years. The new flats along Fairfax Drive will not have a Right to Light.

Once upon a time, there were lots of houses around with an "Ancient Lights" sign on a wall denoting this right.

As a child I was always fascinated by one in Hadleigh near to the Waggon and Horses.

I think it was eventually bulldozed along with the pub so much good it did them.

A silly question but would they still be looking to advertise at the roof line of the stadium? I think that part of the reluctance of wanting these new stands is because the photos are taken when the stands are empty, its like viewing an empty house in comparison to one that's furnished, it makes all the difference.

You take that relatively basic looking Bristol Rovers stand, stick it in Roots Hall with some advertising and maybe a score board at the top with fans filling it and I think it would look far different to what it does in the new photos that have been shared. Can't be worse than a falling down stand full of asbestos that no one is allowed to sit in!
Yes I thought the same.

Easy to forget that the South Stand, for example, is mostly covered in pretty cheap-looking cladding (see how it looks from the back) but it doesn't stand out in practice. By the time the front is covered in advertising boards, it's filled with fans and the plastic seats are no longer gleaming, it'll look like a decent stand.

1701384145092.png

Agreed. A Right to Light is acquired after a period of twenty years. The new flats along Fairfax Drive will not have a Right to Light.
Presuming the club will need planning permission to upgrade the North Bank stand therefore the flat residents could put in objections on various issues.

Presuming the club will need planning permission to upgrade the North Bank stand therefore the flat residents could put in objections on various issues.
Correct. Plus there are other properties in the NW corner and adjacent to the West Stand who may have an issue with a historic Right to Light.

Back