• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Former Shrimpers player and manager Alan Little has passed away

Very sad news, taken too early. One of my best days supporting us was the orient away win in Alan's first game as manager.
R. I. P.

Mine too.

Was that the season opener? Must have been about 98/99

My first ever visit to Birdbrain Road.

Turned up about 20mins before KO and stewards were saying the away end was sold out.

About 500 blues outside and they moved Orient fans over and let us in.

Was there in a sling having broken my humerus. Was in agony but a cracking day out.

Top guy.

In the team for my first Southend match a 3-0 win i n the cup in '76 versus Newport.

Full blooded player!

I remember a banner/ sprayed sheet at games of that era:

" Little Lacerates Yer Legs!!"

Managed us at yet another difficult time and in some quarters people thought he was quite harshly treated when given the sack. I'm definitely in that section.

Thanks for everything Alan! A Shrimper and a gentleman!

RIP

Last edited:
Mine too.

Was that the season opener? Must have been about 98/99

My first ever visit to Birdbrain Road.

Turned up about 20mins before KO and stewards were saying the away end was sold out.

About 500 blues outside and they moved Orient fans over and let us in.

Was there in a sling having broken my humerus. Was in agony but a cracking day out.
Spot on we took huge numbers that day, Neil Campbell scoring for us I think?

One of the best things he did whilst being our manager, was getting Andy Woodman ( who i rated at the time ) on loan to replace Mel Capleton after he made a complete howler ( one of many ) in a pre season game.
Andy I remember saving a penalty away at Mansfield, we were chanting for little to sign him, to which Woodman as actively encouraging it!

Very sad news indeed, and quite a shock as I am a few years older than him. I remember Alan as player and manager, admired him in both roles. Condolences to his family and friends. Forever a Shrimper, R.I.P. and you will definitely be in our thoughts on Saturday.

When I was in Australia, and my mates were playing for Armadale in the WA state league, their coach was a guy called Brad Hassell. Brad had been a Perth glory legend and was in the Australia Olympics team in 96. He found out I was a Southend supporter and told me about how he had come on trial here for a month. Alan Little was the boss at the time and despite Brad not getting a contract he spoke very fondly about Alan as a coach and Rob Newman, who he stayed with.

Ronnie Pountney once told me a story about Alan. It was pre-season training over at Rocheway, and Al must have been in a bad mood as he had wiped out a few of his team-mates in no time. So he was sent to the grass bank to cool off. Ron, obviously sensing something was up, strolled over, but as he approached he was told 'F**k off Ron, or I'll do you as well'. He duly obeyed.

Back