• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harry Cardwell

Would be surprised if they are panicking unnecessarily as much as some of our fans are.

We have a good side that plays good football, we are Ron free and are now an attractive side to join. We have arguably the best spotter of non league talent in the country and a coaching team that has improved almost every player they have worked with.

We are starting 10 paces behind the starting blocks and, yes, 6 games into the season, the squad looks thin and stretched.

But last year we couldn't fill the bench until January. The EFL deadline passes tomorrow and more players will become available. Thanks to the takeover, the coaching side, and the fan base, we are an attractive club to come to.

I'm as sad as anyone to be losing Cardwell but it's the model now. Spot rough diamond, polish him up through good coaching, sell him on, spot the next one.

Yes, promotion will be a stretch this year but we're moving in the right direction. As hard as it is to see us losing players to places too small to have a railway station, we do have to trust the great people at our club. They have never let us down so far.
Jai, this is spot-on. If we lose Harry Cardwell - who has been a great player for us since he signed from Chorley - that is a blow, but there must other strikers out there waiting to be discovered that could do a comparable job. For example, I think the striker Will Harris (at Spennymoor) has already been mentioned on the board but this 6'2", 22 year old, looks like a promising player who might be another Cardwell in the making.

As we know signing a player can take months and months so there is little to no chance the deal will get completed this season .. I’d take £250k for him now

Don’t get it, best crowds in the division, 9 backers and team falling apart and no apparent ambition to do well first time up in a park League? Have they lost interest already, about time they made some sort of statement of what direction they want to go, in reverse at the moment !

Jai, this is spot-on. If we lose Harry Cardwell - who has been a great player for us since he signed from Chorley - that is a blow, but there must other strikers out there waiting to be discovered that could do a comparable job. For example, I think the striker Will Harris (at Spennymoor) has already been mentioned on the board but this 6'2", 22 year old, looks like a promising player who might be another Cardwell in the making.
Maybe FGR can pursue him then.

Unfortunately if FGR hit his release clause there’s very little we can do about it. Who can blame him for leaving if they dangle a big chunk of money, he’s a non league striker, he might never get a better opportunity to earn as much in his career again.

People applauded COSU back in January at the cliffs for their sustainable in 5 years approach and applauded John Still for signing lower level players to develop. Unfortunately as a fan this is the naff side when those players are likely to move on but we have to accept where we are as a club and accept that this kind of thing will happen.

People applauded COSU back in January at the cliffs for their sustainable in 5 years approach
This is it isn’t it, you can’t be sustainable and compete, at least for promotion, football is not built like that. The 5 year approach to me sounded like remaining in NFL for that period, being happy with mid table.
There’s a lot of people on here asking for signings etc, Ron used to love making a signing regardless of budget to appease fans…can COSU hold firm? I suspect they will but the cost will be losing “fans”

Alway good to remember that right now is better than any time we’ve had in the last 5 years…

Unfortunately if FGR hit his release clause there’s very little we can do about it. Who can blame him for leaving if they dangle a big chunk of money, he’s a non league striker, he might never get a better opportunity to earn as much in his career again.

People applauded COSU back in January at the cliffs for their sustainable in 5 years approach and applauded John Still for signing lower level players to develop. Unfortunately as a fan this is the naff side when those players are likely to move on but we have to accept where we are as a club and accept that this kind of thing will happen.
Absolutely, and in addition to this, whilst we (or most of us) slowly come to terms with the new reality, namely that we are likely to be a non league team for at least the next few seasons. Harry not only has the chance to substantially increase his salary, but has a better chance of getting back in to the EFL.

This is football, the best player at each club get brought by clubs with money. Some league club will do the same to FGR if he does well.

Each club needs to be prepared for this and already be scouting who would be the replacement.

I’m sure the club knew of FGR interest for a while, and the amount of time for this transfer to go through so should our replacement forward.

"I'm as sad as anyone to be losing Cardwell but it's the model now. Spot rough diamond, polish him up through good coaching, sell him on, spot the next one."

This....we found him before....we can find another one again. People buying our players....it happens. Im still enjoying the fact we are still in existance. Trust Kev & his team...also trust John Still and his crew to find us more.
Just make sure there is a decent sell on clause.

Timing on this is possibly the biggest blow. If it'd been a week or two ago, as much as it still would've screwed us over with the start of the season, we could've tried to move for a forward who could end up at an EFL club instead.

I personally would be gutted if he went as I am over Kensdale possibly not playing for us anymore. I feel Cardwell future is here with us and after all what footballer doesn’t like playing in front of a crowd? And having a fan support basis.

However, in saying that who can blame him if someone comes in and makes him an offer of doubling or even trembling his wages. Seriously, would you turn it down if someone offered a higher salary - I know I wouldn’t and a footballers career is often quite short.
Remember there is no loyalty any more in any job anyone does

I generally don't worry too much about players leaving - not fussed about Kensdale etc - because you watch the club for 30 years, players come and go, none are bigger than the club, and there's invariably a decent replacement out there.

I have to say I wouldn't want to lose Cardwell right now though - and particularly to a club in the same league. He's a top centre forward at this level - ultimately we'd replace him or change the way we play - but this is going to create a short term problem that has the potential to cost us too many points before we fix it - unless we can get a belter of a loan in.

Just have to hope that FGR can't treble his wages as some on here suggest. If they can, the lad is going to consider the offer as we all would if we were offered 3x our current salary by another employer.

Back