• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Exciting transfers and successful transfers

Brett Angell. Wow! He'd just banged in 25-odd goals for Stockport in the previous season - when we announced his signing for £100k. I was gobsmacked - it was a huge amount of money back then and he lived up to his billing in every way.

Thing is though, before the Bosman ruling players weren't allowed to leave clubs when their contract expired so clubs could demand a transfer fee for their out-of-contract players. With that in mind I'm going to say Shaun Goater was a genius foil for Freddy.

Michael Ricketts was one big fat disappointment.

I was excited when we signed Dougie Freedman, Paul Furlong and Michael Ricketts.

All were absolute dog ****!

Neil Harris wasn’t much better and another I was excited about.

Dougie Freedman was excellent when he was first signed until he picked up his injury.

He was rushed back on more than one occasion unfortunately and was never the same player after that.

As a disappointment, but someone that started with a bang I'm going to throw in Micky Tuohy.

Made his debut on the opening day of the season at home to Carlisle, scored the only goal in the win, diving header under challenge from a great cross from the right, from Micky Stead. Then we were drawn away at Brentford in the LC opening round, we won 4-1 at Griffin Park and he bagged a hat-trick, after that he completely drifted off the scene and returned to non-league in the midlands.

My success will obviously be Colin Morris. Joined us from Burnley with Derrick Parker, costing £3k of the £10k combined deal.

Diminutive winger, playing on the left, but right footed. Stayed with us for 3 seasons 76 to '79. scored 25 goals in 133 appearances. Some memorable ones include the winner at Col U in the 1-0 win there in March/April '76. Winning goal at Reading on the opening day of the triumphant 77-78 season and the brace away at Bolton in the League Cup, our first win against a top division side in a cup competition. That tie being two legs and us drawing 0-0 at the Hall in the second leg.

In three seasons his value had jumped to £100k and we swapped him to Blackpool for Derek Spence. Not a bad progression in his time with us.

Brett Angell. Wow! He'd just banged in 25-odd goals for Stockport in the previous season - when we announced his signing for £100k. I was gobsmacked - it was a huge amount of money back then and he lived up to his billing in every way.

Thing is though, before the Bosman ruling players weren't allowed to leave clubs when their contract expired so clubs could demand a transfer fee for their out-of-contract players. With that in mind I'm going to say Shaun Goater was a genius foil for Freddy.

Michael Ricketts was one big fat disappointment.
Yeah Brett Angell is such an anomaly as a big money signing who came much feted any yet actually surpassed expectations.

You know who else was an excellent foil for Freddy: Wayne Gray. Doesn’t get anywhere near the love that Goater gets but he put in the hard yards and his pace created so much space for Freddy to exploit as defenders had to sit deeper. Was a really good penalty taker too. Played two seasons for us and won two promotions with us.

Richard Young lauded as the new Richard Cadette I recall. In reality he wasn’t fit to clean Cadettes boots!
Lol! A legend in his own mind. Honorable mentions also to Mario Walsh. From the same era...Chris Ramsay, quite possibly the worst defender I've ever seen in a Blues shirt but fair play to him he's moved on to better things as a coach.

You know who else was an excellent foil for Freddy: Wayne Gray. Doesn’t get anywhere near the love that Goater gets but he put in the hard yards and his pace created so much space for Freddy to exploit as defenders had to sit deeper. Was a really good penalty taker too. Played two seasons for us and won two promotions with us.
Struggling to think of anyone who was quicker than Wayne Gray aside from Collymore.

Andy Sussex I don’t think was a failure.

Re-signing Paul Clark and Spencer Prior. I would say both lived up to expectations, or more accurately exceeded them. Spinner was ‘over the hill’ but there’s no substitute for top flight experience (eh Rooney?).

On balance the evidence clearly suggests that we have not been successful with our big transfer fee signings. I wouldn’t mind betting Marsh got a nice signing on fee as well.

Michael Husbands? He was absolutely rapid. He’d chase the ball like he’d just come out of trap 2.

Unfortunately, once in possession of the ball, he still resembled trap 2 & not a professional footballer.
Wayne Gray was a top 10 sprinter in the UK for his age group.

I wonder if Dave Regis either ran track considering who his cousin was.

Wayne Gray was a top 10 sprinter in the UK for his age group.

I wonder if Dave Regis either ran track considering who his cousin was.

Sure, an often quoted fact.

Truth is, I don’t recall Gray being that quick. At least not on the eye anyway.

Edit: similar I guess to Powell and Cardwell recently, who were highly under appreciated for their pace, but both very quick

Back