• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Exciting transfers and successful transfers

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
People weren’t that excited when we signed Freddy Eastwood, Stan Collymore, Mark Gower, Nicky Bailey, Bilel Mohsni, Ryan Hall, Gus Scott-Morriss, Steve Tilson, Barry Corr, Andy Ansah, Lee Barnard, Simon Royce, Ben Coker, Tom Hopper, Ryan Leonard etc etc

They were however excited when we signed Dan Mooney, Rob Kiernan, Michael Kightly, Rhys Murphy, Lee Sawyer, Peter Clarke, Gary Poole, Abu Ogogo, David Mooney etc etc (I’ll keep this list shorter to avoid depressing people)

There are always exceptions but exciting signings don’t usually work out as well as those under the radar.

People weren’t that excited when we signed Freddy Eastwood, Stan Collymore, Mark Gower, Nicky Bailey, Bilel Mohsni, Ryan Hall, Gus Scott-Morriss, Steve Tilson, Barry Corr, Andy Ansah, Lee Barnard, Simon Royce, Ben Coker, Tom Hopper, Ryan Leonard etc etc

They were however excited when we signed Dan Mooney, Rob Kiernan, Michael Kightly, Rhys Murphy, Lee Sawyer, Peter Clarke, Gary Poole, Abu Ogogo, David Mooney etc etc (I’ll keep this list shorter to avoid depressing people)

There are always exceptions but exciting signings don’t usually work out as well as those under the radar.
How true this is!!!

How did Peter Clarke disappoint ?

I think there is a direct correlation between the fan's expectations of a player that a) they have heard of and/or b) costs money. They will want and expect so much more.

I doubt anyone had ever heard of any of the first list before they signed. You could add Chris Powell and Andy Ansah to that list as well.

The second list on the other hand, other than Sawyer (who's initial loan very much fell into the first list), everyone had either been heard of or cost money.

Last edited:
How did Peter Clarke disappoint ?
He remains one of the biggest transfer fees paid in our history (and probably wages).

We were relegated his first season where he struggled to hold down a starting place (he even ended up playing in midfield); missed automatic promotion in his second season because of a leaky defence and missed the play-offs in his third season because the defence was even leakier and he then left on a free.

I don’t think we’ve signed anyone for £100k or more who I’d classify as a success since Ricky Otto three decades ago.

The only £100k+ signings I’d classify as a success would be Otto, Collymore, Angell, maybe Keith Jones and I assume Derek Spence (although he was before my time).

The list of £100,000+ disappointments is far longer: Alex Revell, Andy Rammell, Jeroen Boere, Andy Thomson, Richie Foran, Peter Clarke, Mike Marsh, Gary Poole, Jason Lee, Tommy Mooney, Andy Sussex, Keith Dublin, Roger Willis, Mike Lapper, Billy Paynter.

Some of those players were favourites of mine (e.g Andy Thomson, Mike Marsh, Tommy Mooney, Mike Lapper) but I can’t describe their Southend careers as successes. Had you popped back in a Time Machine and told their manager and chairman what their Southend career would be like they almost certainly wouldn’t have gone ahead and signed any of them for that sort of money (Sussex may be the exception as he was a useful part of the promotion squad but I bet Webby didn’t tell Jobson that he was signing a squad player and he was signed in the expectation he’d be more).

I think there is a direct correlation between the fan's expectations of a player that a) they have heard of and/or b) costs money. They will want and expect so much more.

I doubt anyone had ever heard of any of the first list before they signed. You could add Chris Powell and Andy Ansah to that list as well.

The second list on the other hand, other than Sawyer (who's initial loan very much fell into the first list), everyone had either been heard of or that cost money.
I was referring to Sawyer’s return in 2011 rather than loan spells. I could have also included Eastwood and Barnard’s returns.

But yes there is added expectation with a big transfer fee or big wages.

I didn’t especially rate Che Wilson but he clearly exceeded expectations. I thought his replacement Steve Hammell was a better player but he under performed expectations.

A certain young Watford player didn't excite when he signed either. 6 months later...

🎶Do, do, doooo, Britt Assombalonga.

Do, do, doooo, can we keep him longer?🎶

He remains one of the biggest transfer fees paid in our history (and probably wages).

We were relegated his first season where he struggled to hold down a starting place (he even ended up playing in midfield); missed automatic promotion in his second season because of a leaky defence and missed the play-offs in his third season because the defence was even leakier and he then left on a free.

I don’t think we’ve signed anyone for £100k or more who I’d classify as a success since Ricky Otto three decades ago.

The only £100k+ signings I’d classify as a success would be Otto, Collymore, Angell, maybe Keith Jones and I assume Derek Spence (although he was before my time).

The list of £100,000+ disappointments is far longer: Alex Revell, Andy Rammell, Jeroen Boere, Andy Thomson, Richie Foran, Peter Clarke, Mike Marsh, Gary Poole, Jason Lee, Tommy Mooney, Andy Sussex, Keith Dublin, Roger Willis, Mike Lapper, Billy Paynter.

Some of those players were favourites of mine (e.g Andy Thomson, Mike Marsh, Tommy Mooney, Mike Lapper) but I can’t describe their Southend careers as successes. Had you popped back in a Time Machine and told their manager and chairman what their Southend career would be like they almost certainly wouldn’t have gone ahead and signed any of them for that sort of money (Sussex may be the exception as he was a useful part of the promotion squad but I bet Webby didn’t tell Jobson that he was signing a squad player and he was signed in the expectation he’d be more).

I was referring to Sawyer’s return in 2011 rather than loan spells. I could have also included Eastwood and Barnard’s returns.

I didn’t especially rate Che Wilson but he clearly exceeded expectations. I thought his replacement Steve Hammell was a better player but he under performed expectations.
Peter Clarke one my fav players ever

Thanks very much.

Maybe Keith Jones? You are a harsh judge! He was a wonderful player for us.

Maybe Keith Jones? You are a harsh judge! He was a wonderful player for us.
He was a wonderful player and a real favourite of mine but he was a club record signing who started 88 league games for us across four seasons before being sold for a loss.

A player of his talent should have played more for us (he fell out of favour with both Murphy and Spud IIRC).

I think he just about counts as a success because he helped keep us up with a very good first season and then when he returned to the starting XI under Fry plus he was still a good enough player that we were able to recoup most of his transfer fee when we sold him to Charlton.

I think we signed Jason Lee to be the next Collymore, which didn't work out. Though 225k was a lot then, selling him for 300k under a year later wasn't such a bad return with a bit of profit.

Back