• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

evening echo/graffiti teen story

bluesbloke

Schoolboy
now we all know that the evening echo can often be labelled as a pretty shocking publication at times. in the past, this has led me to think about stopping my daily delivery. if it wasn't for news on the mighty blues (i say that very loosely!), i would have cancelled it years ago.

but then today, i read the article about the charity match that was held for the tagger who was killed on the tube tracks at barking.

for those who haven't seen it, in january 2007, a 19 year old was hit by a train after he fled from security staff whilst tagging walls near barking train depot. a football match was held recently, arranged by his father, in his son's memory to raise funds for macmillan cancer trust.

this really did leave me with a totally sickening feeling in my stomach. i realise it's a tragedy for the family of this lad but i can't help feeling that, because of this father's son's totally irresponsible actions, a train driver has to live with the scars of accidentally killing a fellow human being. the lad in question was also the father of a one year old and was, unknown to him at the time, due to become a father for the second time so again, another consequence of this lad's actions, has left two young children fatherless.

as far as i'm concerned, this lad was a law breaker and should be used as an example of what's wrong with today's world. his total disregard for law and decency has created a broken family and inflicted unimaginable trauma on a train driver trying to earn a decent wage. i hate to say this but, as with a lot of people in this country who have no respect for others, this is an unfortunate example that tarnishes the honest and law-abiding fellows of this land and personally, i don't want to read about the guilt-ridden actions of his family.

apologises for such a deep and meaningful post but after reading this story, i just had to air my opinions and ask for other people's view on the matter.

i really would appreciate your thoughts on this one.....

I agree...but this is the UK that this and previous recent Governments has shaped and left for us to live in, hence why so many of my generation (80's babies) are now deciding to leave and seek a better life abroad. It has been said many times, but this country is on its knees at present.

He was just a kid, a stupid silly kid. Who amongst us can't say they've not done something in their youth that they regret today? Unforunately he won't be around to do that.

He was just a kid, a stupid silly kid. Who amongst us can't say they've not done something in their youth that they regret today? Unforunately he won't be around to do that.

I've never found the need to deliberately break onto private property (especially private property consisting of multiple rails containing thousands of volts of live current) to deface walls and anything else that can be spray-painted. Tragic yes, but let us not forget he was a vandal, and was 19...I should also add, he obviously thought he was old and responsible enough to have children so I am afraid I have no sympathy.

I'm sorry, but living in this country continues to make me both more cynical and emotionally hardened.

I can honestly say that, I was to scared to do anything. I think I was more scared of my mother than I was the law

I can honestly say that, I was to scared to do anything. I think I was more scared of my mother than I was the law

And that is the way it should be....a major reason 90% of kids these days appear to have no concept of respect for anything is the way they have been brought up....my Mum is half my size but used to kick my *** for causing even the least bit of trouble. The country has gone soft, and this combined with kids having kids themselves and therefore not being fit to properly parent is creating this perpetuating mess.

And that is the way it should be....a major reason 90% of kids these days appear to have no concept of respect for anything is the way they have been brought up....my Mum is half my size but used to kick my *** for causing even the least bit of trouble. The country has gone soft, and this combined with kids having kids themselves and therefore not being fit to properly parent is creating this perpetuating mess.

My mum still does slap me :'(

Working on the railway I see loads of kids on the railway. Up here trains can go up to 140mph and you get sod all warning.

A bit of tagging is pretty tame compared to the morons who leave benches on the line or throw bricks off of bridges at passing trains.

MK Shrimper said:

and

MK Shrimper said:
Working on the railway I see loads of kids on the railway. Up here trains can go up to 140mph and you get sod all warning.

A bit of tagging is pretty tame compared to the morons who leave benches on the line or throw bricks off of bridges at passing trains.

so what's worse then...a stupid silly kid tagging or a moron blocking train tracks?

you can't say one is less serious than the other. as we see from this story, they both could end in the loss of life.

they both strip themselves of the right of sympathy from others. it's just a shame that it's a claim-to-fame for some people...and believe me, i'm big time reluctant to attach the word 'people' to those who seem to disrepect others so much that lives are lost and destroyed.

you can't sweep tagging under the carpet in such a lacklustre way.

When I was younger I was taught RESPECT, both by my PARENTS and by the SCHOOL. Also having a local policeman coming round the school telling you was right and wrong. I never dreamt of going onto the railway tracks 1) I knew it was wrong and 2) It was bloody dangerous

When I was younger I was taught RESPECT, both by my PARENTS and by the SCHOOL. Also having a local policeman coming round the school telling you was right and wrong. I never dreamt of going onto the railway tracks 1) I knew it was wrong and 2) It was bloody dangerous

Hit nail on head there me thinks.....no respect these days. And I dont think that always applies to yoofies either.

Respect for other people and property was lost a long time ago and I dont see it returning any time soon.

Everything has gone far too PC and you cannot do anything these days without seemingly breaking one stupid law or another...

Sack Gordon Clown and his out of touch cronies and we will be heading in the right direction for a start...

Hit nail on head there me thinks.....no respect these days. And I dont think that always applies to yoofies either.

Respect for other people and property was lost a long time ago and I dont see it returning any time soon.

Everything has gone far too PC and you cannot do anything these days without seemingly breaking one stupid law or another...

Sack Gordon Clown and his out of touch cronies and we will be heading in the right direction for a start...

Correct, but as I have said before, we are in this state not only (but admittedly largely) due to the current Labour Government....this country has gone soft on criminals due to a combination of politicians who live such distant lives from those of the normal person and are so utterly obsessed with being PC that they have lost the bottle to make any important decisions correctly, particularly when it comes to legislation. The legal system in the UK is a joke.

I admit respect begins at home, and at an early age, but one must agree that the punishments available do not match the crimes and certainly do not deter.

As an example, do you seriously think there would be so much knife crime if there was a death penalty?

Until we get hard on criminals, young or old, and start teaching kids respect the minute they are born, then things will just continue to get worse.

Anyway, rant over.

Correct, but as I have said before, we are in this state not only (but admittedly largely) due to the current Labour Government....this country has gone soft on criminals due to a combination of politicians who live such distant lives from those of the normal person and are so utterly obsessed with being PC that they have lost the bottle to make any important decisions correctly, particularly when it comes to legislation. The legal system in the UK is a joke.

I admit respect begins at home, and at an early age, but one must agree that the punishments available do not match the crimes and certainly do not deter.

As an example, do you seriously think there would be so much knife crime if there was a death penalty?

Until we get hard on criminals, young or old, and start teaching kids respect the minute they are born, then things will just continue to get worse.

Anyway, rant over.

I agree with what you say, but would making the sentence fit the crime really work. Just look at America they still have the death penatly, but still has a high murder rate

I disagree with the original post, but totally understand where you're coming from.

For me, he's not doing the worst crime ever. Vandalists (if thats a word) see it as art, and in some cases the skilled work is actually fantastic. I sympathise too with people who have bad starts, but also realise that no-one forces you to do anything, but often they just don't know any better.

Any young death saddens me, whether it be due to illness, suicide or anything else. I can't blame the dad for mourning this way and fundraising at the same time. Good luck to him.

Anyway, rant over.

Agree with much of what has been written in this thread. The disintegration of respect and discipline and the rise of the "do gooders" are almost entirely to blame for the present attitude of so many that they are "above" the law.

Obviously it's sad that this lad lost his life, however, he was breaking the law at the time. His family must have been aware of his night time activities, and probably knew his "tag". Where was the respect and discipline in this family?

Kids these days think they can talk back to anyone, be they an "authority" figure or otherwise, and from a very young age. This is learned behaviour, and imitates what the kids see at home, both in real life and on the tv and in films.

The moral fibres of this country have all but disintegrated completely, and successive governments have to be held accountable for this. Get rid of some of the bureacracy and get the police back out on the streets, give teachers back some of their rights and let's get our kids involved in activities where they DO learn some respect.

Cant see the problem myself, they are raising money for a worthy charity. No real sympathy for the mans death but if people want to raise money for charity then let them.

Again its all about the choices, i cant stand the mindlessness of Graffiti but i can understand the art. So don't ****ing write your name so i cant read it but by all means recreate sistine chapel

Oh and if you get splattered, then tough. :-(

I disagree with the original post, but totally understand where you're coming from.

For me, he's not doing the worst crime ever. Vandalists (if thats a word) see it as art, and in some cases the skilled work is actually fantastic. I sympathise too with people who have bad starts, but also realise that no-one forces you to do anything, but often they just don't know any better.

Any young death saddens me, whether it be due to illness, suicide or anything else. I can't blame the dad for mourning this way and fundraising at the same time. Good luck to him.

One of your finest posts sir. Far more erudite than me.

Again its all about the choices, i cant stand the mindlessness of Graffiti but i can understand the art. So don't ****ing write your name so i cant read it but by all means recreate sistine chapel

Oh and if you get splattered, then tough. :-(

No, I agree, some graffiti art is fantastic. By the same token though, don't commit crimes if you can't accept the consequences.

Back