• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex Against Prisons

They should build prisons in undesirable places, like next to airports, or sewage farms, or in the middle of huge industrial areas... basically anywhere that pollutes and isnt desirable for people to live near. Or canvey.

That's a good idea. Build a prison next to an airport, and make their getaway as difficult as possible.

I think all prisons should be built underground with only one entrance and exit

When i lived in Rettendon, the grounds of Runwell Mental Hsp were just a couple of fields away. Night tours with my mates often ensued across the fields to the hospital and up to the windows of the place ending up with security chasing us back to Rettendon again.

I remember about 20 yrs ago, a "nutter" escaped from Runwell and was armed with a gun, dangerous he was quoted as by Essex Radio as they warned people to stay indoors and lock up over the radio. I ran outside to tell my neighbour to take herself and her kids indoors quick then bolted myself in. The police had shut the main rd off at the Turnpike r/about (old A130 to Chelmsford) and i looked out of my lounge to see armed officers storm neighbour's sheds across the road. Helicopters flew overhead and plain clothes police were everywhere clutching pistols.

They found the guy a couple of hours later in the lady's shed two doors up from me, the same woman i'd told to get herself indoors.

I dunno what's better, a nuthouse or a slammer. At least security is better inside the slammer perhaps.

I think I'd rather live near a prison than a mental hospital. In fact there are a lot of worse things I can think of to have on your doorstep than a prison.

i live quite near this proposed site and i think the prison is probably the least worse of the proposals. The alternative is a huge housing estate that the local infrastructure simply cannot support. The prison will provide long term jobs and shouldn't impose too much on the infrastucture. Any moaning about security seems to forget there was a secure mental unit on the site which is probably far worse

Last edited:
In fairness I would imagine if your on the run you get as far away from a prison as you can not stop at the first house you come too.

In fairness I would imagine if your on the run you get as far away from a prison as you can not stop at the first house you come too.

Exactly - whereas the inmates of the mental unit would murder the first person they came across.

Back