• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings England 1 - 1 Switzerland (England win on pens 5-3) - UEFA Euro 2024 - Quarter Final 6 July

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

"Do or do not. There is no try,"⭐⭐🦐
Staff member
Well, we've made the quarters and most of us are amazed. It's certainly not been the best set of England performances to reach this point, but reach it they have. Can we go any further? God only knows after being dead and buried for 90 minutes yesterday.

Normal pre-match stuff here please, which will morph into the official match thread and then Post Match thread.

Last edited:
Probably clutching at straws but our only hope is that Switzerland won't sit back, so our attackers should have more space to play in. I'm going in expecting a loss then it'll be a nice suprise if we win.

At least one change is enforced by suspension - so maybe that will lead to a different setup at the back and another change or 2 further up the field.

We know this squad can play better football than they've produced so far.

They can't keep playing that badly and continue to progress 🤞 they finally put in a shift and a performance worthy of the honour of wearing an England shirt 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

This will be a step up from the four previous games, Switzerland have looked good so far and have a lot of experience in the team. Unless we improve considerably I think this will be the end for us.

Guehi's suspension is a blow as he's been impressive. Sounds like Konsa is going to replace him. I think Palmer has done enough in his two substitute appearances to start and Saka has looked a bit lethargic in the last two games, but it seems certain players are undroppable to Southgate.

Agree Saka hasn't done much.

We can't play the same as the last game, including tactics. Change it up and we stand a chance... if not I fear it could be the end!

Hoping Mainoo & Palmer get at least 45 minutes,

This will be a step up from the four previous games, Switzerland have looked good so far and have a lot of experience in the team. Unless we improve considerably I think this will be the end for us.

Guehi's suspension is a blow as he's been impressive. Sounds like Konsa is going to replace him. I think Palmer has done enough in his two substitute appearances to start and Saka has looked a bit lethargic in the last two games, but it seems certain players are undroppable to Southgate.
Saka’s done more than Foden IMO despite being subbed earlier every game but the last. I really wish we’d give him more of the ball. Our best moments have been largely him wriggling free down the right.

The irony is that we’re actually missing all Southgate’s undroppables - the pace of Sterling, the control of Henderson, Maguire at the back now Guehi is suspended, the one on one ability of Rashford, the dependency of Mount - and are looking a worse team for it.

ive gone for an England win , but fear the worst im afraid, teams have learnt how to play ENGLAND now under Southgate, so hopefully he fools them as did Ramsay in 66 and we go onto win the bloody thing

Saka’s done more than Foden IMO despite being subbed earlier every game but the last. I really wish we’d give him more of the ball. Our best moments have been largely him wriggling free down the right.

The irony is that we’re actually missing all Southgate’s undroppables - the pace of Sterling, the control of Henderson, Maguire at the back now Guehi is suspended, the one on one ability of Rashford, the dependency of Mount - and are looking a worse team for it.
Missing Mount?? You sure? I think you're talking about these players at the height of their form - none are now at the same level. He had a system and he had players who fitted it for a long time, Phillips by his own admission he's not been able to replace like-for-like. You surely fit your system around the players you have, not shoehorn players into a system.

He's stubborn with the 4 at the back, I'd love to see a more adventurous approach, think I heard a pundit suggest a back 3 of Walker, Stones and Konsa with Trent as RWB and Gordon LWB. Gareth's selections always scream safety first which it's hard to argue with, given his tournament record ... but I fear it won't be enough vs Switzerland - not without a few tweaks. Let's play on the front foot, take a few risks. Agree about giving Saka the ball more as when he runs at defenders and into the box, things tend to happen.

Missing Mount?? You sure? I think you're talking about these players at the height of their form - none are now at the same level. He had a system and he had players who fitted it for a long time, Phillips by his own admission he's not been able to replace like-for-like. You surely fit your system around the players you have, not shoehorn players into a system.

He's stubborn with the 4 at the back, I'd love to see a more adventurous approach, think I heard a pundit suggest a back 3 of Walker, Stones and Konsa with Trent as RWB and Gordon LWB. Gareth's selections always scream safety first which it's hard to argue with, given his tournament record ... but I fear it won't be enough vs Switzerland - not without a few tweaks. Let's play on the front foot, take a few risks. Agree about giving Saka the ball more as when he runs at defenders and into the box, things tend to happen.
Yes those players have been dropped because of their form. The point is that we miss what they offered despite it not being popular at the time.

Southgate isnt wedded to a back 4. He’s played a back 3 loads with England in the past.

Nobody ever wants to pick players for their defensive attributes. It’s like how teams of the tournament would never work in real life because they wouldn’t have anyone doing the defensive work.

Yes those players have been dropped because of their form. The point is that we miss what they offered despite it not being popular at the time.

Southgate isnt wedded to a back 4. He’s played a back 3 loads with England in the past.

Nobody ever wants to pick players for their defensive attributes. It’s like how teams of the tournament would never work in real life because they wouldn’t have anyone doing the defensive work.
I think what's really impressed me is the hard work, the pressing and the relentless harrying of teams - you've seen it with Slovenia, with the Turks last night. We need to be pressing Switzerland from the off on Sat, not giving them any time on the ball. So far we've not seen that energy from England.

In terms of defensive attributes, Guehi will be a big miss - Stones makes me nervous and hasn't really been tested yet. I think 3 at the back protected by Rice and Mainoo might be the way but GS will have his own ideas. What I hope we don't do is sit back and invite pressure. They can't score if we have the ball but let's keep the ball in their half, if possible. This is where I think Trent and Gordon as wing backs might work as they can break quickly and start attacks.

No it's just I've seen the Swiss play -and they're a better team than England,
Is that how football works? Austria were meant to be a better team than Turkey. Portugal were meant to comfortably beat Slovenia. France, Italy and Belgium were meant to be decent. Just saying.

You're probably right but we won't lose simply because 'they're a better team' we'll probably shoot ourselves in the foot (both feet) as per.

Back