• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Eastleigh v Southend United, Saturday 12th October, 15:00 k.o., FA Cup 4QR

Starting XI and Result

• Total voters
I say, let us try something different. This is my line up.

Hillson
Crowther Gubbins/Foran* Ralph
Taylor
Wind /Wood KAF Morton Bridge
Walker Pepple*
* If Parent club agree

Not sure if GUS is available. Even so give him a rest and see how things go

On our current form not confident of getting a result.Will Kev make changes and try something different change goalkeeper play Wind instead of Gus.We wont no until nearer kick off.My guess Kev will select the usual players and wont make major changes.In any event we desperately need a performance to get our season back on track

One of the few good things from the draw is defeat to team of equal status can be suffered.
Were we to lose to Gosport Borough it would herald a new nadir.

Remind me, please, if a draw, is there a replay?
Second bit of info: will it be screened in the same way last season's at Yeovil was?
Replay next Tuesday 15th at RH, if it ends all square after 90 mins.

My issue is more the lack of any outlet up front. With a flat back four and two double pivots being dragged back they are going to be fewer players to play progressive passes to, this will likely result in more long balls where a front three of Wood, Walker and Bridge are going to bullied off the ball.

It’s popular in football tactics to keep a spare man at the back. If the opposition play two up front (which most at this level do) you’d then want three centre halves. This helps defending as if one goes for the ball and misses it the spare man can cover it but it also helps with the build up play as it means you have a spare man who should be open to receive the ball and initiate attacks. Kensdale was very good at this aspect, Crowther hasn’t been yet.

I also find Jack Wood a surprising choice to dictate formation. I’m not sure what you’ve seen that makes you think he’s the player to build around?

If I was going 4 at the back I’d be looking more at a line-up like @loz ’s where Pepple gives you an option to play it into his body for him to hold up for an oncoming attacking midfielder or over the top for him to run onto. Tilly’s line-ups always had a target man in whether it was Donkey Broughton, Tes Bramble, Wayne Gray, Shaun Goater, Michael Ricketts, Matt Harrold, Lee Barnard etc. We’d frequently look for that out ball rather than pass the ball out from the keeper.

I'm not sure it's popular. A quick look at the premier league as an example will show that hardly any teams play this way any more. like 442 532/352 same same is diminishing.

Having 3 CDs also means less players to transition the team forwards and more players playing defensive. Far from it having the double pivot allows more space forward and a spare man depending on who is covering back. Also the skill/ mentality is more midfielder play forward than CD facing up the pitch. Especially at this level it's hard to find CDs like kensdale who can pass and move into midfield to play the extra man moving forward.

Re wood this is a cup game and the suggestion was to give others a chance and a formation to get the best out of them ..not suggesting we build a team around him. Should it be a 4231 433 for example he's best position is the wide right as a winger forward.

Fair point on pebble as the forward. I remember battersby in the 433 that Steve Thompson applied to save us from relegation after shifting from the dire 532 (I think it was Alvin Martin) playing that role so yes perhaps pebble better than walker. Walker could play a wide right for example

I was thinking more pace for balls in behind with more players now available forward in a more attacking formation (which means more forward thinking players on the pitch, a better attacking mentality ie players like bridge not having to play a dual role to make the team successful ie lwb And more attacking width).

In fairness the 4231 formation is really a 442 with the number 10 role played by an attacking mid player.

Back