• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Eastleigh 0-1 Southend United F.A. Cup

Sounds like Bonne has been an experiment that hasn't worked, at least so far. It happens. Players who used to score goals for fun earlier in their careers often find they've lost whatever it was that made them deadly previously. Particularly after a few injuries. Look at our own Freddie and also also Lee Barnard. Neither could hit the side of a barn when they returned & it was hard to believe they were the same players. I imagine he'll slip out of the starting 11 & end his days with us as a bench warmer in due course. Hopefully he's not costing too much.
Gavin Tomlin had a torrid start to his time here but scored a hatful in the 2nd half of the season.

Not trying to defend Bonne who has struggled so far, just to reiterate that (sometimes) patience can be a virtue.

We had a good angle behind their keeper at the back of the stand, my first thoughts were, great fight Pepple you snatched that and had no right to that ball. Then, i was miffed at him for shooting from an unlikely angle and thought thats the 'keepers all day.
And finally... that keeper dont fancy a replay then !
Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh get in there 🤣🤣🤣

It’s certainly not a 5-3-2; Ralph and GSM are pushed right up beyond the halfway line in possession, so if anything it’s 3-1-4-2 with Morton holding and the wing-backs pushed up alongside Husin and Coker in support of the forwards.

However, far too much is made of formations when really it’s mentality and confidence that play such a pivotal part in performances and results, and yesterday was absolutely crucial in beginning to build up some confidence.

The impact of Coker being back in the midfield during the first hour was clear for all to see. Out of possession he’s energetic and capable of maintaining a high press, in possession he’s always working his way into space to receive the ball, then linking up with GSM and Taylor to set up those patterns of play that were so effective last season (although more noticeably on the left with the Fonguck-Bridge-Ralph axis).

Miley was out warming up before the game; he’s another that will positively influence the centre of the park when he returns because he is always willing to receive the ball in tight situations, drawing opponents in and making it easier for his team-mates. Morton was solid enough yesterday, but Husin again was a long way from his best; he can count himself fortunate to start ahead of Appiah-Forson. Moncur as an impact sub for a while could be a useful ploy against tiring defences, although he didn’t have much impact yesterday.

A clean sheet was another tick in regaining confidence. Gubbins looked as comfortable as he has since returning to the club, and Taylor was solid as well. Crowther is far from the finished article in the centre, and it remains to be seen if he’ll develop there.

But behind the back three, it was fantastic to see Collin make a vital contribution with a superb one-on-one save in the first half. He stood up, made himself big and that moment absolutely influenced the outcome of the game. The travelling supporters were brilliant in getting behind him, even before that moment so, by the end when the team came over, it again felt like the players and supporters were one, as it had in adversity last season.

I probably would’ve tried Pepple and Walker from the start yesterday, as I think Bonne hinders our ability to press from the front, but I do think the coaching staff are desperate for him to get a goal and go on a run. There’s also an argument for Pepple having a greater impact off the bench, and he did have that yesterday by pressurising a defender chasing a lost cause, winning the ball and getting a shot on target, even if the Eastleigh goalkeeper should’ve done better.

So, in summary: an away win, a clean sheet, players coming back from injury, impact off the bench from Pepple, a positive atmosphere generated from the stands, an injury-time winner. There was plenty to enjoy about the trip to Eastleigh.
Might have to agree to disagree. When you play two full backs on the wings that's playing a more defensive shape, with more defensive players and approach wherever they sit. I actually think formation does make a difference therefore. Mentality also comes from the players (defence v attack minded).

Confidence yes but there are attacking risk takers with vision and forcing defensive players to be attacking doesn't work. You would play Miley as a striker for example as a front foot strategy.

ON LOAN Southend United striker Bim Pepple was delighted to make his long awaited FA Cup debut one to remember.

Pepple, who is with the Shrimpers from Luton Town, came off the bench to score the only goal of Saturday’s fourth round qualifying clash at Eastleigh.

And the forward was thrilled to experience his own memorable moment in a competition he grew up watching as a youngster.

“I used to wake up early in Canada to watch the FA Cup with my brother and my family so to finally play in it is brilliant,” said Pepple.

“I’ve been on the bench three times before I think and not got on so this was my first time and thankfully I got a goal which feels good.”

Pepple’s matchwinner came deep into added on time.

But the forward admitted his low shot was fortunate to somehow squirm past Eastleigh goalkeeper Joe McDonnell after Pepple had initially done well to outmuscle Spitfires defender Ludwig Francillette.

“I remember I had a bit of back and forth with him in the first game we had with them,” said the 21-year-old.

“I had one when I got through on goal and kind of mis-hit it that night but to be fair I kind of mis-hit this one too but luckily it went in.

“If you keep trying and keep fighting that can happen so I’ll take it and move on.”

However, Pepple did confess he was actually aiming for the opposite side of the goal.

“I could make myself look good and say I was aiming for that corner but I opened and wanted to go for the far corner, it just came off my foot wrong,” said Pepple.

“I thought I had messed it up but luckily it’s gone in.

“If you don’t shoot you don’t score and I’ll take 10 of them this season for sure.”

And Pepple was further boosted by the celebrations which followed his goal.

“It would’ve been a bit better if it had gone in a bit nicer but I’ll take it and to celebrate with the fans was great,” said the striker.

“They’ve been brilliant since I came in.

“I’ve been feeling the love and support so to give something back to them was good.”

But Pepple, who has been on the bench for the Shrimpers’ last three matches, is now eager to help Kevin Maher’s side build on the hard fought win.

“Of course I want to start, every player does but I have to keep working hard in training and try to get goals when I come on then hopefully things can go my way,” said Pepple.

“But whether I’m on the bench or starting I’ll always give 100 per cent.”

Pepple will look to do that against Rochdale this weekend when Blues resume their National League campaign.

However, he is also keen to keep progressing in the FA Cup and knows exactly who his dream opponents would be if the Shrimpers can progress to the third round.

“I wouldn’t mind Man Cit away and seeing their players,” said Pepple.

“Maybe it might be a bit different if we actually got to play them but I think that would be nice.”

I for one am really warming to this lad. Does he need work, yes. But, his attitude and work ethic is infectious. He has got himself a few goals and been directly involved in others. He unsettles the opposition back line I think, with his strength and willingness to press hard and fast. He is completely different to anything else we have right now and IMO he should be starting. Well done Bim and keep it up.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back