• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Denmark v England: Thursday 20th June 2024, 5pm BBC1

What annoys me are his subs they are always like for like. Doesn't change the system at all. Was crying out for Gordon to come on left flank and maybe go 4-4-2 with another striker up top with Kane.
Exactly. Against Slovenia, you could see they had no pace at the pace. Walker proved that in the first few mins. Gordon would have had a field day

FWIW thought Ingerland were poor against Denmark at least in terms of performance.The point should prove useful.England need to learn from teams like Germany and Spain-it's topping the group that counts.If they don't do that next Tues.and avoid playing Germany in the round of 16 they're a good bet to be on a early plane home ,IMO.

Last edited:

England, England, It’s Never Coming Home.” The chant from the Denmark support – to the tune of Yellow Submarine – had been heard outside the stadium in the hours before kick-off and it would reverberate inside it during a highly stressful 90 minutes. On this evidence, it was the understatement of Euro 2024 so far.
The chant from the Denmark support – to the tune of Yellow Submarine – had been heard outside the stadium in the hours before kick-off and it would reverberate inside it during a highly stressful 90 minutes. On this evidence, it was the understatement of Euro 2024 so far."

It seems like the Danes have learnt a new song. :Winking:

That match was crying out for Palmer and Gordon.

The way we’re playing we don’t seem to have learnt a thing from previous tournaments. Southgate has his way of setting up and he seems a bit lost as to what to do now. He’d never dream of dropping Kane and letting Foden play central as a 10, where he’s so effective for City. Maybe off Watkins with Bellingham behind. We won’t see anything radical at all, it’ll be safety all the way.

If he insists on Kane he needs runners on the outside for him to knock it out to. Kane plays like a defensive ****ing midfielder.

There are two core problems that are contributing to this current iteration of Southgate’s England for me.

Firstly, there’s no vertical movement or threat. If you look at the average positions of players from the last two games, it’s incredibly flat. There’s numerous issues here: we invite the press and then can’t get out, building the attack is slower than it needs to be as it takes longer to get players into position(s), we’re vulnerable in transition and we negate the strengths of key players (Trent’s passing range, Foden’s movement, Bellingham’s box play).

Secondly, the midfield is unbalanced, which is made worse by the lack of vertical movement but also causes it. Trent Alexander Arnold is not a midfielder. He’s not. The experiment has failed. He can pass a ball sure, but he could do that from right back and Southgate needs to pick either him or Walker in that position. Yesterday’s game was crying out for Mainoo in that position - a tidy, effective midfielder who could’ve moved us up the pitch and played around or through Denmark’s press.

I can still understand Southgate’s thinking around Trent - on paper, he offers an entirely new dimension to this midfield and I do still think it’s an option we can keep if we need penetrative passing in the dying stages of a game. But it’s not working from the start and were ceding control of the ball as a result (whilst exacerbating other issues elsewhere).

You either drop Bellingham into the 8, move Foden centrally and drop in Gordon (Palmer’s too central and would overly contest the midfield) on the left, or you bring in Mainoo/Wharton against weaker opposition/Gallagher when you need more dynamism.

That’d solve a lot of the issues we’re seeing play out. All eyes on Tuesday to see if it’s fixed.
Excellent post. I thought TAA was a good option before the Euros started because of his use of the ball, and in addition Klopp seemed to be slowly moulding him into more of a CM at Liverpool. Maybe it would be more effective if we played three CMs, who knows. But it certainly has not worked so far.

Unfortunately, as I've said in the recent past, our defence is the weakest it's been for many years. If we had the back four that Sven had at his disposal we'd be hot favourites for this tournament. I just hope that we don't continue to shoehorn the likes of Foden into an unfamiliar role like Sven did with Scholes.

Yesterday was by far the worst performance under GS and what worried me most was the lack of energy and how off the pace we were. It looked like we were playing in quick sand at times. I'm not as critical as some are regarding the slowness in possession - sometimes it's beneficial to keep the ball for a short period - but we can't be as passive as that without the ball against the better sides.

GS needs to change things for the Slovenia game, and given what I said about energy levels, we need to bring in the likes of Gordon and Watkins to press more effectively from the front. I think GS has switched to 4-2-3-1 due to Bellingham's role for Real Madrid. Nothing wrong with that and I'd keep that system but, as ESB mentions, I'd move Bellingham back alongside Rice and play Foden in the number 10 role, with Gordon on the left. I'm a big fan of Trippier but ultimately he's just standing in for Shaw while he's recovering. If we can get him back the balance of the team will be much less of an issue.

Excellent post. I thought TAA was a good option before the Euros started because of his use of the ball, and in addition Klopp seemed to be slowly moulding him into more of a CM at Liverpool. Maybe it would be more effective if we played three CMs, who knows. But it certainly has not worked so far.

Unfortunately, as I've said in the recent past, our defence is the weakest it's been for many years. If we had the back four that Sven had at his disposal we'd be hot favourites for this tournament. I just hope that we don't continue to shoehorn the likes of Foden into an unfamiliar role like Sven did with Scholes.

It looked like we were playing in quick sand at times.

We almost were the state of the pitch

What a load of old ****e.

I don't know what Cole Palmer needs to do to get on the pitch.

I suspect he'd need to promise not to cross the half way line.

How you can expect to put on any type of positive performance when you have Rice and TAA sitting four yards in front of the centre backs for most of the game, who in turn are on the edge of our own 18 yard box, is baffling to the extreme.

IF there are no changes made for the knockout phase (we will get out the group) then we will be torn a new one by any half competent team.

Boregate negative tactics are making England play like league 2 side considering we have some of the best attacking players in world football. Personally I would play Gordon on the left put foden in the number 10 role with bellingham as box to box 8 along side rice. We don't need 2 sitters in the centre of midfield against second rate opposition...... these tactics are stifling our attackers from producing goods in forward areas. Boregate has drilled England to the point where we are sitting on the edge of our own penalty box for 70 minutes hoping for 1-0 victory against second rate opposition. He needs to go before world cup qualifications starts.

England, England, It’s Never Coming Home.” The chant from the Denmark support – to the tune of Yellow Submarine – had been heard outside the stadium in the hours before kick-off and it would reverberate inside it during a highly stressful 90 minutes. On this evidence, it was the understatement of Euro 2024 so far.
The chant from the Denmark support – to the tune of Yellow Submarine – had been heard outside the stadium in the hours before kick-off and it would reverberate inside it during a highly stressful 90 minutes. On this evidence, it was the understatement of Euro 2024 so far."

It seems like the Danes have learnt a new song. :Winking:
As i wrote i was there when the thousands of Danes walked past.
The England fans that were there were laughing and dancing to that tune.
The other BIG song the Danes sang was...
CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE YOU`LL NEVER BE THAT
It was very funny,true and so sad

Back