• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Dave Martin set to join Ipswich as goalkeeping coach

Transfer news
Can’t blame Dave Martin for this. Good opportunity to move upwards as a coach, and also probably earn a significantly better wage. Presumably won’t bother many on here as there’s been a lot of talk about us needing another keeper.

I think this is a big loss for us. Martin gave us a competent number 2 on the odd occasion one was needed, an excellent coach, and a very positive influence around the place from what I hear. We don’t need competition for Collin – he’s the established number 1 and we don’t want to be chopping and changing keepers each week. We need someone who’s prepared to operate mainly as a backup keeper, but who will take that role positively and not be cheesed off because he isn’t playing much. Nathan Ashmore not a bad shout if he's happy with the role.

Can’t blame Dave Martin for this. Good opportunity to move upwards as a coach, and also probably earn a significantly better wage. Presumably won’t bother many on here as there’s been a lot of talk about us needing another keeper.

I think this is a big loss for us. Martin gave us a competent number 2 on the odd occasion one was needed, an excellent coach, and a very positive influence around the place from what I hear. We don’t need competition for Collin – he’s the established number 1 and we don’t want to be chopping and changing keepers each week. We need someone who’s prepared to operate mainly as a backup keeper, but who will take that role positively and not be cheesed off because he isn’t playing much. Nathan Ashmore not a bad shout if he's happy with the role.
I think GK coach is probably more important than a no2 keeper. Although with 7 subs spaces there is now more of a role for a no2 keeper.

Heard of the Ipswich interest in Martin several months back, and that they'd still be interested even if they were promoted.

I big loss, imo. Has been great for Collin. He's essentially been coaching the entire defensive unit on some bits and pieces too, and is a big reason behind us playing out from the back so ably and keeping the GA and xGA figures so low.

In addition to just being a positive character and influence in the dressing room. I spoke to him at length at the awards night, and he's a top bloke.

I'd say we punched well above our weight by being able to have him here for almost a year. All the best to him.

All the best. Lucky to have him for almost a year. Hopefully some of that experience has rubbed off and the defensive players have learnt a few tips and tricks from him from his years of experience

Massive loss, but a great opportunity for him. You never know, there may be a place for him here in the future.

This is the same problem we will continue to have whilst outside the EFL and in the current quandry we are in (which hopefully will be resolved very soon!).

All the very best of luck to him, hopefully he will go on to make a success of his new role.

Is he that huge lump who made a complete b*lls up by coming out of his area, basically treading on the ball, then waiting in no mans land for Waldron to cross it & eventually ended up in a pathetic heap tied up in the netting?? 😁 Wasn't impressed that day.
He's usually very good, an aberration. Though a player/coach would probably be financially a more prudent proposition.

Massive loss, but a great opportunity for him. You never know, there may be a place for him here in the future.

This is the same problem we will continue to have whilst outside the EFL and in the current quandry we are in (which hopefully will be resolved very soon!).

All the very best of luck to him, hopefully he will go on to make a success of his new role.
He is joining a Premier League club. I dont think it would have mattered if we were non league or football league. Who would reject that opportunity???

Good luck to him. Well deserved. We were lucky to have that quality of coaching for so long. I would be surprised if he dropped 4 divisions down to rejoin us. He will go far I reckon.

Having a more senior keeper that can be the GK coach and reserve keeper is a key issue because it saves paying 2 salaries. It also creates flexibility via the ability to have a 'player' on the books during an embargo by employing him primarily as a coach.
I'm hoping those days will be behind us soon!

But he'll be a big loss. All the best to him though. Great opportunity.

Back